AT&T Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Update Rolling Out Now

The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, which missed its presumed release date earlier this month, is rolling out today bringing Galaxy Gear support, Samsung KNOX and other enhancements to Galaxy S3 owners.

Several weeks ago, a leaked schedule suggested that the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update would hit the Sprint and AT&T early in the month November. For whatever reason, those dates didn’t pan out, leaving users looking for answers. Today, those questions have been answered as Samsung has announced the AT&T Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 roll out and users are reporting seeing an Android 4.3 OTA update.

Verizon-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-review-620x465-575x4311

As expected, Samsung quietly announced the update, without any fanfare. The confirmation comes from the device’s support page and from users on the XDA-Developers forum who claim that the OTA is pushing out. From the looks of things, the update is absolutely massive, and checks in at over 600MB in size, meaning, users will want to set aside some time to upgrade their device.

We expect the software to roll out in waves with some owners seeing the update emerge today and others seeing the update emerge later in the week. These updates often take a week or so to roll out. It also doesn’t look like the update is available through Samsung Kies, Samsung’s software that allows users to update manually.

Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 11.18.26 AM

When the update arrives, it will bring a number of big features to AT&T Galaxy S3 owners including:

• Android 4.3 OS upgrade
  • Samsung Galaxy Gear compatibility
  • Group Play 2.5
  • Group Messaging
  • Knox for Enterprise
  • Samsung Apps
  • Samsung Hub (replaces Media and Music Hubs)
  • Samsung Link (replaces AllShare Play)
  • Usage Manager (Data Manager)
  • Sound and Shot Camera Mode
  • Gamepad support
  • Drag and drop to uninstall or disable applications
  • Notification Bar Enhancements
  • Call reliability improvements

AT&T’s Galaxy S3 update is the second Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update to hit the United States though it won’t be the last. Samsung will be pushing out updates for the Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and Verizon Galaxy S3 variants in the coming days.

The T-Mobile Galaxy S3 LTE should be next in line with a release date rumored for November 25th. The Sprint Galaxy S3 release is up in the air though we know that Sprint recently released a new build, a sign that the OTA could be close.

Given the issues that we’ve seen emerge for Galaxy S3 devices in other parts of the world, we suggest AT&T Galaxy S3 owners approach this update with caution. While we imagine that AT&T and Samsung have worked to deliver as flawless of an update as possible, there is always a chance that there could be issues on board the software.

The update follows in the footsteps of AT&T’s Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, an update that was pulled, along with the U.S. Cellular Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 update, due to unknown issues.

Comments

• pbm5362 says

No, downloaded and installed really fast. Device runs buttery smooth now. It just looks and feels better. No big issues yet. Haven’t seen knox which is kinda wierd. They also didn’t add the new launcher and weather widget which is a little disapointing but not a deal breaker. Overall its like you get a brand new device.

• kevin crabtree says

I have AT&T and I’ve been checking since the release date, and I’ve been looking every 24 hours (as soon as my phone lets me) and it just keeps saying “your device is up to date”. A bit annoying, I’m just anxious to check out the long awaited update.

• Tony says

Downloaded mine yesterday, everything went flawless! So far it is working perfect, no bugs or issue yet!

1. patrick jackson says

im downloading now it seems to be going really fast i just started downloading it not even 4 min ago and its already at 20 percent complete. i hope there is no major issues or none at all but i am just happy its coming out now instead of later

2. mark says

i downloaded the update earlier today and i haven’t found any bugs or issues at all so everything looks good

3. Alyssa says

downloaded last night and haven’t seen any issues yet. a bit of lagging but nothing significant

4. E23 says

Runs well so far. At&t gs3. After the 4.1.2 update, it was so sluggish. That seems to be 90% over and done with.

I scored a 5995 on Quadrant Standard with Powersaving turned off.
    Is that good? Just letting you know.

Anyhow, good luck.

5. james says

What the hell happen? I was downloading it but it didn’t update now it says that is update with the 4.1.2………and I Have to wait for 24 to try again…….I’m so disapointed

• GagaScrewer says

Yup! Same here. All other format play fine. I’m thinking about re-ripping my CDs into FLAC or AAC. WMA and MP3 are pretty old technology.

6. Joe Schwartz says

My update went well. Seems to run very nice, however, in my notifications area, I’m constantly getting notifications of Download complete for files that I don’t know what they are. Has anyone else experienced this?

7. WolfmanRobby says

I did the “Check for updates” and I got the message it was going to download and install it. I even got the blue/red arrows in the notification bar. After about a minute, it went back to the “About Device” Settings screen and the arrows went away.
    Rebooted, nothing.
    I’m tempted to push my clock a day forward to bypass the 24 hour re-check limit… Unless someone thinks they’ve pulled it like they did the S4 update.

• taha merchant says

I live in pakistan have the americian version s3 still have not got android 4.3 update

• John says

same happened to me, I turned off power saving mode and restarted my phone right after the update randomly stopped, and it eventually just finished the update, it wasn’t fun but it worked! Hope it helps!

8. Kyle says

Unfortunately the update included group messaging. You can turn it off in the settings though.

Nothing is more annoying than seeing everyone’s response to a group message.

9. Bill says

I think it sucks! Now every time I get a text it shows up on my lock screen. Why have a lock screen if everyone can read your texts on it. Also now when I get a call or email the flash for my camera lights up. Gotta do wonders for battery life. Slowly finding other things that suck. How do I uninstall this update.

10. Kim Raye says

Agreed, Bill! I’m on Sprints service and this update is TERRIBLE. It keeps (re-updating) making it hard to have any speed left to access the internet or Facebook or my email. My predictive text is awful. Takes me triple the time to text now. I can’t find my gmail chat messenger. It’s apparently been deleted off my phone. It is TOTALLY weird that texts show up on lock screen now! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh! Please let me know when you find out how to uninstall this awful mess!

11. TBO says

AT&T – I got two rounds of update. The first went smoothly and the new features were great. The second sent my phone into the realm of near uselessness and AT&T has offered to replace the phone under warranty and suggested that I merely refuse the update. Most people that I’ve talked to have had similar problems: Long since downloaded files keep showing up as being newly downloaded. Sometimes within a second of being cleared. The autocorrupt doesn’t offer to keep the word as typed and will change it no matter what you do. The flash pulses for all incoming calls and there is no way to turn it off. I get LED notification for… nothing – repeatedly. I had continual notification beeps during a phone call yesterday that pursisted for the duration of the call despite no actual notification and a near 100% battery. The clock widget displays a different time than the actual time (which is displayed correctly in the corner) – not a different time zone, a completely random time that doesn’t always advance… just a few of the issues that I’ve experienced that are persisting.

• shd says

for download notifications….

go to application manager –> all –> downloads –> clear data, clear cache. should fixed your problem.. worked for me

for flash pulses..

settings –> my device –> accessibility –> flash notification –> unchecked.. if already unchecked then check and uncheck again..
      hope these will fix few of your problems..