Sprint Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Update Rolling Out Now

We said that the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update appeared to be close and while the roll out didn’t start yesterday, Sprint has announced that the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update will begin pushing today to users, bringing Galaxy Gear support and Samsung KNOX for added security for those that use their device in the workplace.

Earlier this week, we told you that we had a very good feeling that the Sprint Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update was extremely close after missing its presumed November 6th roll out date. The update not appeared on Samsung’s open source site for developers, it also appeared as the operating system within the spec listing for the Sprint Galaxy S3 on Sprint’s website.

Our best guess was that it would roll out within 48 hours of the appearance on Samsung’s website and sure enough, today, Sprint has announced that the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update is here and that it will be landing for users today.

Samsung Galaxy S3 wireless charger Review - 004

Sprint says that the update will indeed be coming with Samsung Knox and that it will also be bringing the long awaited Galaxy Gear support to users. The rest of the change log is unknown though we do expect the software to emerge with a number of enhancements and fixes which will help to shore up the overall experience on the aging device.

The carrier, as expected, says that the update will be rolling out incrementally, which means not everyone will see the OTA upgrade today. Typically, Sprint’s updates can last a week or more which means that some users will be waiting until next week. Obviously, this isn’t ideal, but it will allow the carrier to monitor the situation and ensure a smooth experience for all of its Galaxy S3 users.

Samsung Galaxy S3 wireless charger Review - 004

This is more important than usual, given the issues that we’ve seen emerge for the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update in the UK and the problems that we’ve seen from the Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 update in the United States.

Sprint’s Galaxy S3 joins the AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the device, both of which have already received their upgrades. The T-Mobile Galaxy S3 LTE Android 4.3 update is currently slated to get its update on November 25th while the Verizon Galaxy S3 is supposed to get its update today.

Comments

• pbm5362 says

Does Sprint only let you check for an update once every 24 hours like At&t does? If so, set the date on your device to the next day and you should be able to check again.

• Spencer H says

No you can check as many times as you like, but from what I understand, if they haven’t pushed the update out to your area, there’s nothing you can do about it. :p

• pbm5362 says

Yeah I know each carrier is different in how they roll out and it depends on your region but when I heard the update was available I manually checked and it wasn’t there. I waited a couple hours, set the date ahead and was able to get it.

• Denzel says

Hi, I have the sprint gs3 and I have been waiting for the update too. I have figured out how to get the official android 4.3. You have to download the software called “Samsung Kies” to your computer. Once you download it and have the software opened, plug your phone into the computer using the USB cord. Once you plug it into the computer, something should pop up automatically that says a firmware update is available and voila, there’s your update!

• prashant saxena says

I am also from India and waiting for 4.3 update.
      Adam, please tell us if you can guess something about this update for unlocked and unbranded version of galaxy s3 ?

• hamir madam says

offically no updates,and wheni press the update button it shows check for updates and when i press updates its not responsive neither it says no updates nor it says already latest firmware, so do u feel same problem @prashant saxena?

1. shawna says

I have US Cellular and the update just became available OTA. I am nervous to download is as I have been hearing a lot about bugs the last few weeks…

2. pbm5362 says

@SpencerH. Go to settings> date and time> disable automatic date and time and then go to date and change it.

• Denzel says

Hi, I have the sprint gs3 (it may work for non-sprint phones also) and I have been waiting for the update too. I have figured out how to get the official android 4.3. You have to download the software called “Samsung Kies” to your computer. Once you download it and have the software opened, plug your phone into the computer using the USB cord. Once you plug it into the computer, something should pop up automatically that says a firmware update is available and voila, there’s your update!

• Spencer H says

I’m pretty new to this. So I’ve tried clearing the Google Services Framework many many times and changing the date and nothing has worked. So I download this file. How do I flash it to my phone?

• Denzel says

• sky says

i have tried clearing the google services framework trick and absolutely no luck. after doing it up to 10x in a row every 4 hrs. in the last 2 days, i gave up. i also tried the download link… it didn’t work for my phone either.
      my phone is 100% stock.
      guess i;m stuck waiting for the OTA

carrier is sprint
      cincinnati/nky location

• Denzel says

• Spencer H says

When I tried the clear data trick with google services frame work I made sure and clicked on force stop after. It only took me 2 times. The other thing that I think people forget to mention and I forgot as well is that your phone is supposed to be plugged in to make this work.

3. Carlos AricaRulz says

I have already received the OTA update, but I will be waiting 4 some feedbacks before I installed. I dont wanna turn my S3 into a mess :( any news?

Grettings from Chile

• Deejay says

Maybe 4.3 will not come with bugs in u’re country. I’m from romania and the update to 4.3 was stopped because of huge reports of bugs such as battery drain, screen freezing etc…i’ll wait for the update to resume its roll out, rumors said that in romania will jump directly to 4.4 because the 4.3 has bugs and decide not to repair and roll out 4.3 they decide to jump to 4.4…it’ s only a rumor…i wait and see…

4. Trey says

Sprint updates its phones by serial numbers. So if you got your phone when it was first available on sprint, then you get the update first.

• Denzel says

5. Jason says

I have baseband version L710VPBMD4 (sprint) and I have yet to see an update! This is some bs! Almost makes you want to stop dealing with android all together!

• Denzel says

6. sky says

I finally updated mine through kies. easy simple process, even though it took about 30 mins. my phone is faster and smoother. I have no complaints, except my RAM has skyrocketed and stays over 1gb. I haven’t added any new apps. or anything. I found an apk file to mute shutter sound without having to put my phone on mute or vibrate. just tap on the black/grayish download box. works like a charm for Sprint galaxy phones!

7. BAH - says

I have an unrooted phone all stock. Phone bricked and cannot be corrected. Went to sprint and they are sending me another phone. RATS – wish I could fix it, they say another one will be into the store in a week. This will be a long week.

8. RD says

Sprint galaxy s3 kies air here a couple of weeks ago no problems fast and smother ram manager clears to 0 now
    battery life seems better and love the new features with the update
    one thing I did notice is when im in a text message and I press the volume up and down it makes my text bigger or smaller my son’s s4 dosent do that with the 4.3
    just curious if any one elses does the same in text mode
    great update for me worth the wait cant say the same for my new Samsung smart TV lol