Android 4.4.2 KitKat Problems Plague Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Users

Earlier this week, Google started rolling out a brand new Android 4.4 KitKat update in the form of Android 4.4.2 KitKat, an update that followed the company’s Android 4.4.1 KitKat update. And while the new version of KitKat continues to roll out to Nexus owners, we are starting to see complaints from Nexus 5, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 owners about Android 4.4.2 KitKat problems.

In late November, after a bit of a wait, Google rolled out the first version of Android 4.4 KitKat, delivering a number of enhancements and features to Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 users. Google’s Nexus 5, the latest Nexus smartphone in its arsenal, launched with Android 4.4 KitKat on board. Almost immediately after the update rolled out, we started hearing about issues residing within Google’s latest update.

Nexus-7-review-2013-003-575x330

Those issues included a problem with the Nexus 4 dialer, a nasty Exchange bug that caused massive battery drain for many Nexus users, problems with the Nexus 5’s speaker, and a signal issue on the Nexus 5 wherein sending an SMS would cause a drop in connectivity.

Google acknowledged several of these issues on its product forums, promising a fix for at least some of these issues in the near future. That fix rolled out last week in the form of Android 4.4.1, a roll out that occurred after Google detailed the major camera fixes that would be on board for Nexus 5 users. The company made no mention of fixes for the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 or Nexus 4 though, as we discovered, there were supposedly a bunch of fixes on board the new software.

On Monday, we heard rumors of an impending Android 4.2.2 KitKat update and sure enough, Android 4.4.2 KitKat started rolling out, catching many Nexus users by surprise. The update is still rolling out, replacing Android 4.4.1 KitKat as the company’s latest and greatest software. And while the update was supposed to fix a bunch of the problems that Android 4.4 brought with it, it appears that some bugs are still plaguing Nexus users.

Nexus-4-575x465

One of the first Android 4.4 KitKat issues that we brought up was the Nexus 4 dialer crashing issue. It’s an issue that Google promised would get worked out in the latest updates but it’s an issue that is apparently still plaguing users. For its part, Google has acknowledged that this is still a problem for some users and it will be investigating:

Thanks again for taking your time to come to the forum and report these issues. The 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 updates included fixes for some situations that are causing your crash problems, but we know there are still users experiencing this symptom and we’re still working on it. i’ll post when I have the next update.

Nexus users of all shapes and sizes are also still frustrated about issues with Exchange accounts. Nexus 5 users are also complaining about issues with the stock email app. Nexus 4 owners are reportedly still having issues with volume when using headsets. A Nexus 7 user has also complained about media storage crashing, leaving him unable to move files between his computer and phone. We’re also seeing reports about faulty Bluetooth connectivity. We’re also seeing complaints about broken NFC tags on Nexus devices, broken Wi-Fi, and there are also a bunch of people frustrated by the installation process itself.

While there are reportedly still issues buried inside Android 4.4.2 KitKat, most of them seem to be leftovers from the previous updates. We’re also seeing quite a few Nexus users report that their bugs have been alleviated by Android 4.4.2. However, with Android 4.4.2 KitKat roll out set to take place over the next week or so, we should get a better idea about the software’s overall stability once the dust settles.

Right now though, while there are certainly still some problems, Android 4.4.2 KitKat does seem to have tackled at least some of the problems that Google set out to fix with its latest update.

Comments

1. ashish says

M a nexus 4 user. Daily reports of ppl gettin 4.4.2. I hvn t recieved ny update aftr 4.4.

By whn shud i b expecting 4.4.2 to arrive on my phone. (India)

2. Johnny D says

i sideload the 4.4.2 on my nexus 4 and to be frankly i haven’t seen any difference in my os, still have some bugs which cause my dialer not to function properly. when i made calls i get no dial tone but it shows that the call went through but no voice or anything. also my data would connect and still cant check the web…..least not last, don’t get my text on time and battery usage is not correct…..oh and Email Exchange still crap out…………what the hell is going with google? dont push shit out if its not ready cause it freaking sucks.

3. Anuj Thapar says

I am also from india and running 4.4.2 on my nexus 4. I get updates on my mob on 1st shot. Regarding problems i faced is battery problem and camera quality problem which is continuously improving with updates from 4.3 To 4.4.2 till now.
    Any Person needing help regarding updation can call me on +919996522446

• Hari says

I also faced major issues of ultra fast battery drain in half day itself after upgrade to 4.4.2 in this month on nexus 4.
      Pls suggest solution or report to Google forum Hari

• Kev says

I suffered the same with my Nexus 7 after downloading system updates. If it helps, I went into Settings/Battery and noticed that Google Play Movies & TV was responsible for 59% battery drain. As I’ve never even used my Nexus for movies or TV, I have disabled it and seen a dramatic improvement in battery life. Hope this helps.

4. Ed T. says

No real problems with 4.4 or 4.4.1 on a nexus 7 2013. On 4.4.2 I have problems opening folders. Occasionally they seem to open behind the launcher and appear extremely faded. Taping outside the folder area and then reopening it usually works…

• Charles says

I have had the same problem and use a similar fix. Do you see any major improvemens for your Nexus 7 with the Kit Kat Updates?

5. rik b says

nexus 7 2012 wifi
    can’t change location settings, can’t change display sleep settings, can’t set
    touchsounds to off.
    with 4.4 and 4.4.2

6. Lito Glenn Hermoso says

Just received update 4.4.2 yesterday…
    Today, BACK, and HOME keys of my Necus 4 are not functioning…
    Pls help me report to Google..

• floopy says

The BACK button on my Nexus 7 does not work after booting, not sure what made it work the last time I shut down my device, guess I’ll have to fiddle with random things until it starts responding again. :(

7. Zontar the Munificent says

What an absurd and irresponsible article. The author provides links which supposedly confirm stability issues with 4.4.2 but which are instead links to undemonstrated, anecdotal reports of particular individuals having isolated problems with their devices.

In an ecosystem of millions of devices with a near-infinite number of configurations, the only way to assert that a problem even exists is (1) to identify a statistically relevant number of users with the problem or (2) to locate bad code. That’s it.

In related news, “Fires Continue to Plague Tesla Owners.”

Nevermind the fact that Tesla remains the safest car ever evaluated by IIHS. I provided you with one link of one person who had a fire in their Tesla, so let’s lead with that headline.

• tom-e says

Yeah, the same that I thought… When I saw the headline I thought this was some massive shi!tstorm bug that would eat my pen!s if I used it. Seems to be relatively isolated incidents that weren’t even introduced by 4.2.2. Instead the article headline should have read: “4.2.2 still not fixing all the issues for all the users. The writer and the editor should be ashamed.

• Robin Majumdar says

That 4.2.2 typo error is really adding to the confusion. We are indeed talking about 4.4.2 and I agree that the title is misleading (IMHO) and almost linkbait material. Having done the rounds of Android sites discussing 4.4.2 updates (at least for the Nexus 7) I haven’t seen much problems (far less a ‘plague’) reported by owners.

• Rick Keith says

I also have a Nexus 5 with 4.2.2 and so far I’ve been very impressed. No issues to report. I hope those that are having issues have a fix very soon.

• eric says

Nexus 5 4.4.2 and my exchange account randomly stops syncing. Unfortunately it is what I mostly use my phone for. This issue has been here since 4.4 and hasn’t been fixed.

• Jim says

I only use Exchange for my work email which I don’t really want to see on my phone unless I choose to open the app. 95% of the time I don’t want to be bothered with work email when I’m not working so I have sync turned off and check it when I need to by opening the email app and pulling down to update. That might explain why I’m not seeing a problem. I’ll have to turn on sync and test if I have the problem.

8. MyWebs Anton by Goodley says

On my Nexus 7 2013 I have received the 4.4.2 OTA update. I now have a pretty bad Bluetooth bug that didn’t exist on my device prior to this latest update. My Nexus will turn off the Bluetooth on its own. The only way to turn it back on is to reboot. At tech supports suggestion I powered my device off long enough to clear the RAM. This seems to have fixed it but it’s too soon to say for sure

9. Bigs says

Nexus 5 for me and it’s all good! No complaints so far since I sideloaded 4.4.2

Only small annoyance, when recording video when no noise in background you hear a slight hissing… But I don’t record much so not a big deal for me…

10. Narlon Oliveira says

My Nexus 5 official 4.4.2 update is running perfectly. I’ve only noticed improvements as of now. No minor and major complaints. But I’m sure the future up updates will just be fine tuning everything.

11. Natasha says

Finally got an update notification to 4.4.2 for my Nexus 4. When I clicked to install it started then all of a sudden there’s a little dead android guy on my screen saying error. Phone froze up for a few minutes, restarted and now there is no update and I’m still stuck with 4.4 and all its bugs… Mainly the email exchange issue. Sigh.

12. Isaac Rabinovitch (@isaac32767) says

I just got the 442 update on my Nexus 4. haven’t seen any problems, but I noticed that the notification bar is now transparent. it’s a very small thing, but a feature change in what supposed to be a bug fix release indicates a certain lack of focus.

13. @Rohwit says

Nexus 4 user here from india. Got the 4.4.2 update but the battery drain remains and that too A major one. Maps, swiftkey pro and everything else crashing in regular intervals.. Google u listening?

14. vic@ says

Hey I’m 60 and got my first smartphone. Both updates were sideloaded and phone is working without any problems. if I can do it everyone else out there certainly can!!

15. Gerard says

For anyone having troubles downloading the update and also struggling with exchange server issues, try downloading Mailwise. This fixed the problem of the Google email app continuously and unsuccesfully trying to sync thus killing the battery. The recent update that downoaded OK for me fixed the exchange bug and I am now back to using the default email app. Nexus 4 BTW.

• Eric says

Thanks for the tip on Mailwise. I could not sync my exchange account with the default mail app on Android 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. Mailwise fixed this issue and synced both the mail and the calendar immediately!! I have been battling with the default mail app for a month.

16. Scott Albright says

The update bricked my nexus 7 (multicolored X of death). Forced me to do a manual unlock and upgrade which was a complete pain. All good after that. Maybe how i got it refurbed for $150 in the 1st place. All hail woot!

17. Connie McElfresh says

I recieved my update 4.4.2 I am now asking myself why I updated it, when I am reading a book it will just turn pages and turn pages and I get out of the app and it will just go to any random app and open it up, I play heck trying to power it off when I finely get it powered off and wait about 3 minutes and power it up it seems okay, this is a nightly thing. Last night after I powered it up it went to a safe mode I did it again and it was fine after that this has been a nightly thing for the past 3 nights a gicantic pain. I hope this fix fixed soon.

18. Sandeep Koka says

Hi,
    I updated 4.4.2 for my nexus 4. Now i am not able to connect media device for file transfer from phone to pc or viceversa and no connectivity thru USB tethering too. It is showing connect USB device. What to do now??

Sandeep K

19. Dinesh Bramhapurkar says

I am facing now problem of MX player…..not working any more…its saying ‘Unsupported Abdroid version

20. Morris says

Dialer crashing, this would never happen with an apple product. Good job on this one google.

• Jim says

I have never seen this App Ops option at all. When was it ever available at all? Was it device specific?

I have a Nexus 10 that I bought within a week of launch day. It has had 4.2 – 4.4.2 and it never had this feature. Was this feature not enabled in the Nexus 10 for some reason?

21. shezak says

I got the update of 4.4.2 on my nexus 4 but the problem is that that the update is not downloading does anyone knows the solution of this problem?

22. DG says

I hate 4.4.2 update.. First i couldnt the download the update via WIFI. i waited few days and downloaded it by phone data.. Now puch notifications doesnt work.. only when i open my whatsapp. msgs are receiving.. same with
    FB. and few apps doesnt work on screen off. and signal reception is weak. I was happy with 4.4.

23. ajit says

Go to settings – app-all-then find download manager clear data.then find Google framework servicees -clear data.reboot.you might get update.good luck.