The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are the two new iPhone models for 2014. Apple announced larger iPhone 6 screens, a completely new design and upgraded features like the ability to make payments using Apple Pay and connecting to the Apple Watch.
The iPhone 6 features a 4.7-inch display with a 1334 x 750 resolution and 326 pixels per inch. The larger iPhone 6 Plus features a 5.5-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution display offering 401 pixels per inch.
Here is Apple’s video introduction of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Apple confirmed the iPhone 6 release date for September 19th in eight countries. The iOS 8 release date is September 17th, but it will come installed on the iPhone 6 out of the box. iPhone 6 pre-orders started on September 12th and will run through September 18th. Most iPhone 6 models are now back-ordered and will not be shipped by September 19th.
This is a big jump up from the iPhone 5s’ 4-inch display. The image below shows an iPhone 5s vs iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6s comparison. Apple delivers a new iPhone 6 version of iOS 8 that offers a two-pane interface on the iPhone 6 Plus showing messages and calendars similar to on the iPad.
Both of the new iPhone 6 models are thinner than the iPhone 5s. Apple shrinks the iPhone 6 to 6.9mm thick and the iPhone 6 Plus to 7.1mm. The iPhone 5s is 7.6mm thick for comparison. With a larger body, this thinner design can help keep the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus pocket friendly and easier to hold in one hand.
Inside Apple packs a new Apple A8 processor which delivers speed enhancements and combines with an Apple M8 co-processor to help track movement. The iPhone 6 sensors include accelerometer, gyroscope, compass and a barometer. iOS 8 and Metal allow developers to deliver better looking games on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus using more power than previously available.
The iPhone 6 battery life is an improvement over the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6 Plus battery life promises a 50% boost in some areas.
Apple includes support for VOLTE, which delivers better sounding calls and enables iPhone call and data use at the same time on Verizon. Carriers will launch VoLTE in the coming months. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both support 802.11ac WiFi and WiFi Calling.
iPhone 6 battery life is better than the iPhone 5s. You can see how the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 5s compare.
|iPhone 5s||iPhone 6||iPhone 6 Plus|
|WiFi Browsing Battery Life||10||11||12|
|LTE Browisng Battery Life||10||10||12|
|3G Browsing Battery Life||8||10||12|
Apple also pipes in Apple Pay, a new NFC-enabled wallet that allows users to make payments at retail stores right from the iPhone, whether at department stores or McDonalds. You can also use this app to make payments online on your iPhone, and it enters the credit card and shipping information for you.
The iPhone 6 camera features an updated 8MP iSight sensor that uses larger pixels and a f/2.2 aperture to capture better looking images, aided by software enhancements that deliver a DSLR-like experience. The iPhone 6 camera can deliver better looking photos in shaky hands thanks to image signal processing. iPhone 6 slow motion capture includes 120fps and 240fps. Check out the iPhone 6 sample photos below.
The iPhone 6 price starts at $199 and the iPhone 6 Plus price at $299. Apple no longer sells a 32GB iPhone 6. Instead the options are 16GB, 64GB and 128GB. With a two year contract the iPhone 6 prices are as follows:
- iPhone 6 16GB – $199
- iPhone 6 64GB – $299
- iPhone 6 128GB – $399
- iPhone 6 Plus 16GB – $299
- iPhone 6 Plus 64GB – $399
- iPhone 6 Plus 128GB – $499
Latest iPhone 6 News
You can follow the latest iPhone 6 news and information below.
- iPhone 6 Release Day Pre-Orders Still Not Delivered
- Where To Get Cool iPhone 6 Wallpapers
- iPhone 6 Plus Unboxing Video and First Impressions
- Why You Shouldn’t Buy the 16GB iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus: 5 Things I learned on the First Day
- iPhone 6 Wi-Fi Speed Test Crushes iPhone 5s (Video Demo)
- iPhone 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: 5 Things Buyers Need to Know
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy Note Edge: 5 Things Buyers Need to Know
- iPhone 6 Setup Guide
- 5 iPhone 6 Release Date Tips
- True Cost of the iPhone 6 is Thousands, Not $199
- AT&T iPhone 6 Upgrade Includes Higher Monthly Fees
- iPhone 6 Drop Test Proves You Should Buy A Warranty
- First iPhone 6 Buyer Drops New iPhone On Live TV
- What Time to Line Up for the iPhone 6 Release
- iPhone 6 Release Date (U.S.): What Not to Expect Now
- Where to Buy the iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus
- New Apple Pay Partner Could Mean Apple Has Already Won
- iPhone 6 + iPad Deal Is Too Good to Be True for Most
- iPhone 6: Verizon Edge vs Verizon 2-Year Contract Prices