Connect with us


iPhone 5 More Active on the Web than Galaxy S III



According a report from Chitika just a few weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5, Apple’s latest handset already beats the Samsung Galaxy S III in web traffic.

To find the numbers Chitika studied web traffic on its ad network from October 3 to October 9 and found that between the two devices the iPhone 5 accounted for 56 percent of web traffic. The Samsung Galaxy S III accounted for the other 44 percent of web traffic.

The obvious reason for this is that iPhone 5 users are more active on the web than Galaxy S III users. iPhone 5 users likely use their phones to browse the web more often than Galaxy S III users despite its limited amount of time on the market.

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S III web traffic

The Samsung Galaxy S III went on sale four months before the iPhone 5, and sold very well. Samsung’s phone even outsold the iPhone 4S in the month of August 2012, the month before Apple introduced the iPhone 5.

Apple sold an impressive number of iPhone 5s as well, however. It broke first weekend sales numbers for Apple, with over 5 million sold in the first weekend.

The sales numbers don’t mean everything, but by all accounts Samsung should have more phones on the market than Apple does with the iPhone 5, especially with supply constraints pushing delivery out three to four weeks.

For the average user these number mean websites will likely continue to build their mobiles sites for the iPhone first and Android second. It could also help explain why many apps come to the iPhone before Android. Developers want to make apps for the most active users, which means iPhone users according to these numbers.



  1. ST

    10/14/2012 at 10:52 pm

    Seems pretty simple to me. Did you use more data on your device the first week you got it, or the 30th week? Out of those two choices, when do you think you’ll be downloading more apps? Syncing more music? Showing off your phone more? Let’s do apples to apples here.

  2. Janet

    10/14/2012 at 11:10 pm

    I don’t see what this proves. I do know one thing, though. I had time to play with the IPhone before I upgraded. I thought it was a very nice phone. But when it came down to making up my mind on which one I was going to buy; it was very easy. I picked the Samsung Galaxy S-3 & I’ve never been happier. I get online with mine every time I have a chance. The battery life is great & I’m constantly finding new things about my phone every time I pick it up. So here’s one Samsung Galaxy user that’s constantly on the web.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.