As I head to CES 2012, I want to share the gear and gadgets that I am taking on the trip. CES is a major event that pushes gear and connectivity to the limits.
While I won’t carry all of this gear to the show floor every day, I have stuffed it all into a Tom Bihn Brain Bag that rests by my feet at around 38,000 feet as I make my way to Vegas.
The two biggest issues at CES are battery power and connectivity, which is why you see so many batteries and so many Verizon 4G LTE devices in my gear bag. I also have an array of photo and video gear to get content up to GottaBeMobile and Notebooks.com quickly.
Here is all the gear I am taking to CES 2012. I’ll only carry one of each gadgets while on the show floor, but you can never have enough packed for a trip like this.
- MacBook Air 13″ – The long battery life, high screen resolution, compact size and Intel Core i5 processor give me enough power to edit photos and videos from the show floor without killing my back.
- Toshiba Portege Z835 – Primarily on the trip for text editing, I don’t even know this thin and light notebook is in my bag.
- iPad 2 – Though it is WiFi only, the long battery life gives me extra productivity options on the go.
- iPad Bluetooth Keyboard – This $30 Bluetooth keyboard offers decent performance and doubles as a slick looking case.
- Motorola XYBoard 10.1 w/ Verizon 4G LTE – Android tablets are still not my primary choice, but it’s hard to argue with long battery life, an integrated 4G connection I can share with my laptop and a nice form factor.
- Galaxy Nexus – I am taking the Galaxy Nexus as my primary email device and another hotspot. It is also paired with my WIMM One watch so I can see texts and phone calls.
- iPhone 4S – The iPhone 4S will sit inside the ALM OWLE Camera Adapter to help me streamline videos at CES 2012.
- ALM OWLE BUBO with RODE Mic – You might wonder why use these accessories instead of a dedicated video camera, but the answer is simple. With the iPhone 4S and the camera adapter I can shoot good looking HD video on the iPhone, edit it with iMovie and then upload it in HD quickly to YouTube. Much faster than importing and exporting on the computer at a busy show like CES.
- Mophie Juice Pack – For extra iPhone 4S power on busy days.
- Kensington BungeeAir Power – Added battery power and a nicer feel than Mophie.
- Spare Galaxy Nexus Batteries – 2 standard batteris and one extended in the phone.
- Innergie Magic Cable – an iPhone Dock Connector and Micro USB will allow me to charge the iPhone or the Nexus without packing an extra cable.
- Ethernet Adapter – WiFi is spotty at CES, so if there is a wired connection available I want to be able to connect and upload videos.
- 5 Hour Energy – Just like gadgets, I need portable power too.
In addition to the gear you see above, I have a large collection of items that didn’t make it into the photo. This gear is just as important and will be along for the ride.
- Nikon D5100 + Spare Battery – For product photos and the occasional video, this camera is a workhorse at an affordable price.
- Manfrotto Monopod – Longer and heavier than I would like for travel, but will do the job.
- ScotteVest Travel Fleece – How do I carry two phones and all this gear without spending a fortune on checked bags and killing my back? With the ScotteVest Fleece 5.0. I don’t travel without ScotteVest.
- RotoLight – This LED light will attach to the OWLE iPhone camera adapter and Mic to light up products and faces of people we meet at the show. Way better than your standard flash.
- WIMM ONE – This smart watch syncs my calendar, can be used to pay for coffee at Starbucks, displays text messages, caller ID information and much more. Hello future.
- Samsung Stratosphere – The Samsung Stratosphere that I recently reviewed has made the trip as well, primarily as a backup in case other devices die or hotspots are finicky.
- 80 power adapters – Even consolidating with great cables and USB adapters, I have more wires in my bag than you’ll find at a mall cell phone shop.
Stay tuned for the gear and gadgets the rest of the team is using at CES 2012, and follow our coverage by checking out the CES2012 tag. You may even have a chance to win some cool gear.
Samsung Galaxy Android 10 Update Info (2020)
With the Samsung Galaxy Android 10 update rolling out and new info starting to emerge, we want to take you...
61 Exciting Things You Can Do With the Apple Watch
The Apple Watch is a smartwatch that connects to your iPhone to deliver notifications, make calls, send texts, and run...