The default OS X wallpapers aren’t terrible, but if you want to change your desktop wallpaper to something more appealing and suited towards your own taste, here’s how to change the wallpaper on Mac.
Apple includes a handful of default wallpapers with OS X, and some of them are really cool, but we understand if you want to be creative and have your own wallpaper displayed proudly on your desktop. It gives you and your computer a unique identity, so choosing your own wallpaper over one of Apple’s default options is a good way to go.
Luckily, the possibilities are endless as far as where you can get your own wallpaper, and there are hundreds of websites that let you download wallpapers for free, which we’ll detail some good places to look further below. You can also choose to create your own, whether it’s from a picture that you took or a cool graphic that you want to turn into a wallpaper.
Without further ado, here’s how to change wallpapers on your Mac, as well as where you can find wallpapers to download.
How to Change Wallpaper on Mac
If you’ve been using a stock wallpaper on your Mac, now is a great time to change things up and use your own wallpaper, or choose a different stock wallpaper that Apple offers. Follow these simple steps:
- Open up System Preferences.
- Click on Desktop & Screen Saver.
- You’ll see a grid of wallpapers to choose from and on the left will be a file explorer.
- To choose a different stock wallpaper, simply select one from the grid of wallpapers that appear. Clicking on one will automatically change it and you can close out of everything.
- If you want to choose your own wallpaper (like a photo that you took), click on the + icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Find the photo and then click Choose. Again, this will automatically make it your background, so afterward, just close out of everything and you’ll be good to go.
Where to Find Wallpaper
If you want to use a creative wallpaper, but aren’t sure where to look, there are plenty of websites on the internet that cater towards offering huge selections of wallpapers. Here are some of my favorite website.
- DeviantArt: I put this one first because it’s a the top of my list whenever I need to go looking for an awesome new wallpaper for my Mac. DeviantArt has a huge selection of wallpapers submitted by members of the website, and you can even submit your own creations as well.
- Reddit: This is perhaps one of the most unorthodox approaches to finding wallpaper for your Mac, but the /r/Wallpaper subreddit on Reddit is a great place to find user-submitted wallpapers, and with over 300,000 subscribers, it’s a bustling place where you can find a ton of creative content from users.
- WallpapersWide: Perhaps one of the biggest dedicated websites for wallpapers is WallpapersWide, with thousands upon thousands of wallpapers to choose from. You can choose specific categories like nature, movies, architecture, etc. if you’re looking for something specific, and the website will even determine what wallpaper size you need automatically.
- National Geographic: If you want to find specific wallpapers focused on nature and animals, National Geographic has its own section on its website where it has a selection of wallpapers to choose from, and National Geographic is responsible for some of the best nature photos in the world.
4 Reasons Not to Install macOS Mojave & 10 Reasons You Should Install 10.14.1
The macOS Mojave update could completely change how you use your Mac. Many users will want to install the free update...
How to Take an ECG on the Apple Watch
This guide will show you how to take an ECG with the Apple Watch 4. This is a new feature...