If you absolutely can’t wait for the iOS 7 release date to try all the amazing new iOS 7 features that will come to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch later this month users with sense of adventure can install iOS 7 early without paying $99 to join Apple’s developer program.
Apple announced the iOS 7 GM, or Gold Master earlier today offering downloads to registered iOS 7 developers who need to finish up their iOS 7 app updates ahead of the official IOS 7 release date on September 18th.
Like many Apple iOS GM releases, the iOS 7 GM is one that users can install without registering their device with the Apple developer program. We’ve confirmed that anyone with a supported iOS 7 device can install the iOS 7 GM to use the near final version of Apple’s new iOS software.
Before you go looking for an iOS 7 download link and start installing iOS 7 on your iPhone or iPad, there are a few warnings. First off the iOS 7 GM is not meant for the general public so there could still be a few bugs. It’s also important to note that you’ll need to find an iOS 7 GM download link that is not from Apple, which means you will be downloading software that breaks a software agreement with Apple. Finally, if you plan to jailbreak and are holding out hope for an iOS 6.1.4 jailbreak it’s a good idea to simply wait this one out.
The iOS 7 release date is just over a week away when users will be able to install it as a free over the air update with a much smoother process, and one that won’t need repeating in the near future.
How to Install the iOS 7 GM
The iOS 7 GM is available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and installing iOS 7 early is free thanks to the iOS 7 GM not requiring a UDID activation or coming with an expiration date like the normal iOS 7 betas.
1. Find an iOS 7 GM download link from a site like IMZDL or on social media.
2. Download the right iOS 7 GM for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
3. Plug the device into the computer and perform a backup. Installing the iOS 7 beta will erase your iPhone so plan to wait for a restore and sync. We didn’t lose any data, but if this sounds like a hassle, wait until the official iOS 7 release date.
4. Open iTunes and upgrade to the iOS 7 Beta by choosing Restore.
- Be sure to hold alt/option on Mac when you click Restore.
- On Windows, hold Shift when you click Restore.
5. Find and click on the .ipsw file you downloaded.
6. Complete the iOS 7 installation and restore from backup.
Users can install the iOS 7 GM on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPad mini as well as the iPod touch 5th gen.
Apple announced the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C today at a special event where the focus was on iPhone and iOS 7. We expect a new iPad and new MacBook Pro units at a different event in the near future.
Samsung Galaxy Android 10 Update Info (2020)
With the Samsung Galaxy Android 10 update rolling out to some devices and new info starting to emerge, we want...
Best MacBook Pro Alternatives in 2020
If you can’t afford a MacBook Pro, or you simply don’t like the direction Apple is going with the current...