The iPad 2 was first jailbroken back in July of 2011, but once the iOS 5 upgrade came out, there was no way to jailbreak the iPad 2 if you wanted all the exciting new iOS 5 features.
Now, after months of work, there is an untethered iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak for the iPad 2. This new tool makes it possible to get all of your favorite iPad 2 Jailbreak Apps and Tweaks on Cydia, without giving up on your new notification center.
The iPad 2 Jailbreak process is only available on the Mac, but The Chronic Dev Team is working on Mac and Linux jailbreak apps. We expect to see them soon.
Jailbreaking your iPad 2 will void your warranty, so we suggest you read these reasons not to jailbreak before you follow these instructions. We are not responsible for any damage you might cause by jailbreaking.
How to Jailbreak the iPad 2
The iPad 2 jailbreak process is straightforward process. Expect to spend about 30 minutes after you have backed up your iPad and updated to iOS 5.0.1.
Ff you haven’t already done so, update to iOS 5.0.1 now and plug in your iPad 2 to the computer to back it up in case things go wrong.
1. Download the Absinthe Jailbreak Tool
2. Plug in your iPad 2 and Open Absinthe.
3. Press Jailbreak.
4. After Absinthe connects to your iPad 2, wait for it to start a restore.
5. Wait for the restore to complete.
6. Don’t disconnect when your iPad 2 reboots.
7. Absinthe will send data to your iPad 2. Wait for this to complete.
8. When prompted, press the Jailbreak app on your iPad 2. The app will say Absinthe. If it cannot connect, Go to Settings and toggle VPN on and off. This should prompt your iPad to restart.
9. After your iPad reboots, tap on the Cydia app to complete the jailbreak and install the Cydia app store.
How To Jailbreak the iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 Video Guide
If you prefer a video format, check out the following how to video that will show you how to jailbreak your iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 with Absinthe.
If you need to jailbreak your iPhone 4S, the process is essentially the same. Check out our iPhone 4S jailbreak guide here.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.