If you want quicker access to a website that you visit often, here’s how to add that website as a shortcut on your iPhone’s home screen.
If there’s a website that you visit frequently, your first instinct may be to save it as a bookmark so that when you open up your web browser, all you have to do is click on that link in your bookmarks and it’ll take you right to the website.
However, if there’s a website that you visit a lot on your iPhone, there’s actually a neat way that you can create a home screen shortcut for it in Safari.
Sadly, this method only works in Safari, so if you use Google Chrome or any other third-party web browser primarily, you won’t be able to do this, but it at least goes to show what a web browser can really do on its native platform (and why Safari is an underrated web browser).
In any case, here’s how to save a website shortcut on your home screen.
Saving Website Shortcuts on the iOS 8 Home Screen
The process of saving a website shortcut to the home screen on your iPhone is really easy and takes about as much time as it would to save a regular bookmark. Follow these simple steps:
- Open up Safari on your iOS device.
- Navigate to the website that you want to save as a home screen shortcut. In this case, we’re using GottaBeMobile.com (and you should too!).
- Tap the Share button on the menu bar. It’s an icon on the right side that’s a box with an arrow sticking out from it.
- Tap on Add to Home Screen.
- On the next page you’ll give the shortcut a name and confirm the web address.
- After that, tap on Add in the upper-right corner to add the shortcut to your home screen.
The icon will usually be the favicon of the website that you’re saving, but sometimes it’ll be something random, like you see with GottaBeMobile.com. It simply depends on the website and how Safari reads it.
In any case, you’ll now have a home screen shortcut to your favorite website and it’ll blend in with all of the other apps without a problem.
To delete a website shortcut on the home screen, simply just tap down and hold on the icon until all the app icons begin to jiggle. From there, tap on the small X that appears and then confirm the deletion when the pop-up appears.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.