This guide will walk you through how to upgrade to iOS 8 on the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. iOS 8 is a free update available on many Apple devices with many new features and options that will help deliver a fresh look and feel to users not planning on buying a new iPhone this year.
The iOS 8 upgrade starts today for all users, with no delay based on carrier or country. If you own an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that is on the compatible list you can download and install iOS 8 today without delay. The iOS 8 upgrade is available for the iPhone 4s and newer, iPad 2 and newer and iPod touch 5th generation.
There is no major change to the look of iOS 8, instead Apple focuses on features. Some of the most exciting new iOS 8 features include better group messaging, new audio and video messages, all of your photos and videos available on any device, family sharing of apps and videos, new iPhone and iPad keyboards and incredible integration with the upcoming OS X Yosemite release.
The iOS 8 video above shows many of the new iOS 8 features that will arrive on your iPhone and iPad after you complete this process.
The iOS 8 release time is 10 AM Pacific / 1AM Eastern with and users need to plan on at least half an hour to complete the iOS 8 update.
You can install iOS 8 on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini Retina and iPod touch 5th generation. Not all of these devices get every iOS 8 feature.
Prepare for the iOS 8 Update
Expect a smooth iOS 8 update, but if you prepare with a few simple steps you’ll be ready in case there are any iOS 8 update errors along the way. To get ready for the iOS 8 update you should clean up unused apps, make sure the iPhone or iPad is charged, backup the iPhone or iPad and download the latest version of iTunes.
Also, make sure you know your Apple ID and password. You will likely need it to sign in to the device after the iOS 8 update is finished.
How to Upgrade to iOS 8
You can upgrade to iOS 8 on the iPhone and iPad without connecting to a computer, which makes the update process a little bit easier for most users. We’ll show you how to upgrade to iOS 8 from the device or from a computer. If you own a 16GB iPhone or iPad with little room on it you will need to install using the second method that connects to a computer. You need to connect to WiFi and you need at least 50% battery life to upgrade to iOS 8.
While the upgrade to iOS 8 completes you can not use the iPhone to make calls, surf the web or send messages so make sure you won’t need your iPhone or iPad in for 15 to 45 minutes when you start this process.
You need to make sure there is enough space for the iOS 8 download and the installation. It’s not clear how much that is, but we recommend making sure you have 2-3GB of free storage if you want to install iOS 8 without a computer. If you are short on storage, skip to the second part of this iOS 8 upgrade guide.
When you upgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 8 you will not lose any apps, music, text messages or other data unless things go wrong. The iOS 8 update installs, the iPhone reboots and you can use the new features with all of your accounts and data still in place.
1. Open Settings. Tap on the Settings icon on your home screen. If you don’t see this, tap and pull down on the center of a home screen and type ‘Settings’ and then tap on the app.
2. Tap on General. This opens a list of additional settings and options, including the option to update.
3. Tap on Software Update. When you tap on this the iPhone or iPad will search for the update and if it is out, the iOS 8 update will start to download.
4. When the iPhone or iPad finds the iOS 8 update, tap Download and Install. This will start the iOS 8 download. You can continue to use the device until the download completes.
5. When the download is done you may see an option to restart or the device will restart without you tapping. During this period you cannot use the iPhone or iPad. After five to fifteen minutes the iPhone or iPad will restart and you can use iOS 8.
Upgrade to iOS 8 in iTunes
If you want to upgrade to iOS 8 in iTunes you need a charging cable and still need at least 50% battery life, but you don’t need as much free storage space.
1. Plug the iPhone and iPad in to your computer with iTunes installed.
2. Backup the iPhone or iPad and then click on iPhone (or iPad) in iTunes.
3. When you see a screen like the one below, click on Check for Update. Let the process complete and install iOS 8 on the iPhone.
4. If the iOS 8 upgrade is available it will start to download and then install on your device.
While the iOS 8 upgrade takes place do not unplug the device.
4 Reasons Not to Install macOS Mojave & 10 Reasons You Should Install 10.14.1
The macOS Mojave update could completely change how you use your Mac. Many users will want to install the free update...
How to Take an ECG on the Apple Watch
This guide will show you how to take an ECG with the Apple Watch 4. This is a new feature...