iOS 7 offers fast access to the iPhone personal hotspot feature that lets users share the iPhone’s cellular connection with other WiFi devices like an iPad, laptop or gaming system.
While the iOS 7 personal hotspot is similar to earlier versions, there are some small enhancements that users will appreciate, including a new indication of how many users are on the hotspot and fast access to turning the iPhone personal hotspot on in iOS 7.
In order to use the iPhone or iPad personal hotspot users will need a device that supports it, such as the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4 or an iPad with 3G or LTE connectivity. Users will also need a plan that supports using the iPhone 5s as a personal hotspot. Most shared data plans include iPhone personal hotspot support in the base price, users on individual and unlimited data plans will need to pay extra for the features.
Users who use the iPhone as a personal hotspot on iOS 7 can now see how much data they have used on the iPhone as a personal hotspot, which is important because it is easier to use data faster while connecting a laptop to the iPhone 5s or iPad.
One issue that remains with the iOS 7 hotspot is that sometimes a computer will not see the iPhone’s hotspot in the list of network options. If this is the case try turning WiFi on and off or plugging by USB.
How to Turn on Personal Hotspot on iOS 7
1. Tap on Settings app on the iPhone home screen.
2. If you see the Personal Hotspot Option as the 5th line item, tap on it. If there is no option there, tap on Cellular and then on Personal Hotspot.
3. Once you have used the iPhone personal hotspot once, it will show up on the main Settings screen for faster access.
4. Tap the switch to the On position, which will show green in the slider area to the left.
5. On the iOS 7 personal hotspot settings page you can also change the WiFi password to something that is easier to remember. This is also where you can change it if you want to share it with friends on one trip, but not every time you get together. Tap on the password to change it.
6. Now look for your iPhone’s name in the WiFi listing on a laptop or other device and click connect. If you plan to connect over Bluetooth or USB, there may be some configuration needed.
While using the iPhone as a personal hotspot on iOS 7 a small indicator bar will show up below the status bar, and when locked the status bar will show blue. On the lock screen the status bar now shows a small number next to a link icon that tells users how many devices are connected to the iPhone. The iPhone can connect up to five devices to the hotspot.
Users on the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad mini 2 can enjoy faster LTE speeds, which rival home internet connections.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.