The iOS 10 update breaks iPhones and iPads forcing users to connect to iTunes to restore or to update with iTunes to continue using the iPhone.
When connecting to iTunes to fix the iOS 10 bricked iPhone users are encountering long download times for iOS 9.3.5 and seeing iTunes error 1671.
If your iPhone or iPad is bricked with iOS 10, you cannot use it for potentially the next several hours.
Users who have not updated to iOS 10 yet should pause and not update at this time. It is possible that Apple is pulling the iPhone update.
The iOS 10 update packs a nasty surprise for some users.
Our iPhone SE is bricked and connecting it to iTunes offers an option to update and keep settings and data or to completely restore the iPhone. Downloading iOS 9.3.5 is estimated at over three hours. During that time I cannot use my iPhone SE for any calls.
On a second try iTunes shows, “There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone”iPhone name”. An unknown error occurred (1671).”
If you are impacted by this problem, you will see an iTunes logo with a Lightning cable and you will need to plug into iTunes to recover.
How to fix a bricked iPhone form the iO S10 update.
Once plugged into iTunes the app will ask you to Restore or to Update. Try to Update first.
Hopefully you can update to restore instead of doing a complete restore that will wipe your iPhone.
Another iPhone iOS 10 update error.
Apple issues the following statement on the iOS 10 iPhone bricking problem.
“We experienced a brief issue with the software update process, affecting a small number of users during the first hour of availability. The problem was quickly resolved and we apologize to those customers. Anyone who was affected should connect to iTunes to complete the update or contact AppleCare for help.”
We will update this article with new details as we learn about the process to recover from a bricked iPhone using iTunes.
What’s New in iOS 10.1
What's New in iOS 10.1
This is a list of what's new in iOS 10.1, including new features like Portrait mode on the iPhone 7 Plus and a number of important fixes for the iPhone and iPad.
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the "Show iTunes Purchases" setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/HT201222
Keep reading to check out the iOS 10 features and iOS 10.1 features that these updates offer.