The iOS 6.1.1 update is compatible with the iPhone 5, iPad 4 and all other iOS 6 compatible devices, unlike the last minor iOS 6.0.2 update which only applied to the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.
According to the iOS 6.1.1 beta release notes the primary target of this update is improvements to Apple Maps in Japan, but it is possible that there are other bug fixes and security updates included.
While the software is not yet available to the public, MuscleNerd warns that anyone who used the evasi0n iOS 6.1 jailbreak to avoid the update for the time being. It is not known if the update patches the exploits used by the evasi0n jailbreak tool, but it is a possibility. Expect a statement on the update after the evad3rs are able to explore the iOS 6.1.1 beta.
For users experiencing bad iOS 6.1 battery life, it is possible that Apple will use this next minor upgrade to deliver a fix like it did for WiFi with iOS 6.0.2 in December, but there is no mention of improvements to battery life in iOS 6.1.1 beta release notes, or a mention of the other issues reported on Apple forums. It is possible that Apple will add other fixes and notes to the iOS 6.1.1 release as the new version progresses through betas.
iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices
- Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
The iOS 6.1.1 beta is only available to developers who can test the beta to make sure apps work on the latest version of Apple’s iOS software. Apple does not announce release dates for small version software updates. It is surprising to see the iOS 6.1.1 beta just over a week after the iOS 6.1 update arrived.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.