My iPhone 4S arrived about an hour or so ago and I’ve set it up and am up and running. So far everything is working as advertised. This is just a quick first impressions post to get things going and I’m sure we’ll be seeing much more here at GBM over the next few days.
So, here’s a list of my early first impressions.
- Holy cow, it’s the same phone! Yes, of course it is. Aside from a difference with the external antenna band, it is exactly the same phone. I can’t distinguish any difference in weight.
- It is indeed snappier and of course that’s due to the A5 chip. Opening a web page is faster on the 4S than it is on the 4, both equipped with iOS5.0. I imagine there’s some hardware and OS tuning in the mix somewhere as well.
- The camera opens and does take pictures faster.
- My activation with AT&T went swimmingly. I had no issues or no delays.
- Keep in mind that I had already installed iOS5 on an iPhone 4 and also denuded that iPhone of most of what I deemed unessential Apps, music, data, etc… before starting the new install process. I chose to install from a backup and the entire process took about 20 minutes or so and that included the activation. Note here that there are now 7 steps to a sync with a computer. (I have chosen not to turn on Sync via WiFi yet.) There used to be 5.
- Do note that when you get your phone up and running, Siri isn’t set up to run by default. You’ll need to go to settings and turn it on. You’ll find Siri under General in settings. There you get the option to use the “raise to speak” feature. If you ask Siri for directions, Siri will respond that you first to need to turn on Location Services for Siri. You’ll find Siri listed under Location Services on the main settings screen. I’m guessing a lot of folks will be trying Siri out as soon as they are up and running. But if you don’t turn it on all you get is Voice Command. Interesting that Siri isn’t on by default.
- Yep the mirrored screen and back smudge just as quickly as the iPhone 4 does.
More as it comes.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.