While iPhone 6 release date rumors continue to point to the fall but they have yet to firm up completely thanks to rumors regarding a larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6.
Apple isn’t ready to talk about the new iPhone or the new iPhone release date just yet but that hasn’t stopped a flood of iPhone 6 release date rumors from emerging ahead of time. For months, we’ve heard about Apple’s supposed plans for the iPhone 6, plans that are said to include a very familiar launch window.
For the past three years, Apple has launched the iPhone in the fall instead of the summer. The iPhone 4s emerged in October while the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s both launched in September. And while iPhone 6 rumors suggest more of the same, they haven’t all agreed.
iPhone 6 rumors predominantly point to an arrival in the fall and more specifically, in September. In fact, a German carrier recently started telling customers that it believes that the iPhone 6 release date will take place on September 19th. September 19th is a Friday and the past two iPhones were released on the third Friday of September.
Deutche Telekom isn’t the only one pointing to an iPhone 6 release date sometime in September. There are plenty of other reports that hint at a September release:
- iPhone 6 release date as early as September – Nikkei
- iPhone 6 release date in August or September – Steve Milunovich UBS via Barrons
- iPhone 6 release in the fall – Andy Hargreaves at Pacific Crest via Business Insider
- iPhone 6 scheduled for third quarter 2014 – ZDNet Korea
- iPhone 6 release date in September, another later in the year – Ming-Chi Kuo via MacRumors
- iPhone 6 release in September – iFun
- New iPhone release in August or September – Economic Daily News
- iPhone 6 release date in September – Industrial Commercial Times
iPhone 6 rumors though point to the arrival of two new iPhone models, a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and we still haven’t seen release date rumors firm up for both devices.
EMSOne, Reuters, Ming-Chi Kuo, Steve Milunovich from UBS, and The Commercial Times all point to a delayed release for the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6. The Commercial Times suggests that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 could have been pushed into 2015 while the others point to a release later this year. Kuo, a respected analyst from KGI Securities and the man who accurately predicted many of the iPhone 5s’ features before its launch, claims that the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model will be out in time for the holidays though he doesn’t offer any specifics.
Jefferies analyst Peter Misek, in a new research note shared by MacRumors, gets a little more specific than Kuo. According to Misek, the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will not arrive before November and that November is the earliest we might see a 5.5-inch model hit shelves. Misek, like many analysts, has been wrong in the past. However, he was one of the first to point to a large screen 4.8-inch iPhone 6 for 2014 so his claims cannot simply be dismissed.
Apple isn’t expected to showcase the iPhone 6 at WWDC, iOS 8 and OS X 10.10, will likely be the stars of the show, which means that we should continue to hear about the iPhone 6 and its upcoming release.
Already, we’ve heard quite a bit about the device itself. iPhone 6 feature rumors have been rampant though the most detailed report comes from Ming-Chi Kuo. According to Kuo, the iPhone 6 will come with a number of upgrades including:
- iPhone 6 Screen Size and Resolution – 4.7- inch (1334 x 750) 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080).
- iPhone 6 Release Dates – 4.7-inch in September, 5.5-inch in Holiday season.
- iPhone 6 Design – Power button on right, narrower bezels, larger iPhone 6 as two-hands needed.
- iPhone 6 Camera – No major Megapixel bump, but added image stability.
- iPhone 6 Specs – A8, 1GB RAM, Touch ID, 6.5mm to 7mm thickness, NFC.
Kuo’s analysis matches up with many of the iPhone 6 rumors that we’ve seen emerge in recent weeks and his information helps to paint an early picture of Apple’s next iPhone.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.