In December of last year a select few markets and regions outside of the US started to receive the LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop update, but now it’s slowly but surely hitting more regions and becoming readily available to owners. Last week another US carrier sent out the update, and now we’re hearing the LG G3 in Canada is getting the highly anticipated Android 5.0 update.
Yesterday we learned that after AT&T and Sprint, Verizon started pushing the update, and now we have more good news as this morning LG confirmed the G3 Android 5.0 update is headed to all carriers in Canada.
LG’s promised to deliver the Android 5.0 Lollipop update within 90 days for owners, which it met, but not in the US. In December it hit Korea, India, Poland, and parts of Europe, then parts of the US in February. And now today that rollout continues as we’re getting reports of Verizon owners seeing the upgrade, as well as those in Canada. Read on for more details.
Last year LG announced its brand new flagship G3 smartphone in May. Delivering one of the best overall devices in 2014 with top-tier specs, an impressive 5.5-inch Quad-HD display like the Nexus 6, and extremely small bezels delivering a big screen in a small package. Those waiting for the update to Android 5.0 Lollipop will be happy to know the rollout is going smooth, and now it’s hitting even more users.
According to multiple sources the announcement wasn’t just made today for Canadian carriers, but a few have actually started pushing the Lollipop update out to owners as well. We’re hearing users on both Rogers and Bell are receiving notifications for the update this morning, and up next should be TELUS Fido, MTS, Sasktel and Videotron in the coming days. This brings the latest Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update to many more LG G3 owners.
The LG G3 update will be delivering a new look and feel to the Android operating system. With Android 5.0 Lollipop users get more features, an improved notification tray and lock screen, neat animations and effects, improved battery life (for some) and a lively feeling operating system.
So far we’re hearing most LG G3 owners on AT&T, Sprint and around the globe are enjoying the update, at the same time there’s also a large amount of users that are frustrated with problems after the LG G3 Android 5.0 update, so users in Canada should proceed with caution.
For now we have no details regarding the LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop update in Canada in terms of changes, but when Sprint pushed it live last week they released some details regarding the upgrade. Here’s the changelog:
- Material Design for fluid animation, multicolored themes and 3D views
- More efficient battery use
- Android TV support
- Notifications on the lock screen and customizable options with prioritized notifications for events, reminders, messages and calls
- Updated Lock Screen features allow users to quickly access notifications and active apps
- Enhanced low vision and color blind capabilities for added Accessibility
- Integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities
- Enhanced Messaging with Google Hangouts™ support for SMS and MMS and a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons
- Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ apps automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files
For now we don’t have exact details or dates for all carriers in Canada, but with scattered reports of at least two pushing out updates today, more should be sending the over-the-air update out in the next few days.
As with all updates they rollout in stages, which means you may not receive it today but it should arrive shortly. Users can also head into settings > about phone > and check for updates themselves to see if the LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop update is ready and waiting.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.