The Nook Color eReader is also a nice Tablet that has made headway against the Kindle thanks to the inclusion of a color screen and a web browser. Now, the nook Color has another way to standout in a crowded eReader market – Apps.
The long-awaited Nook Color app update has been released and delivers Android 2.2, Flash and the Barnes and Noble App store to the Nook Color. The update will roll out over the next few weeks, but you can get it today with the instructions at the bottom of this post.
Nook Color Apps & Features
The Barnes and Noble Nook Color apps aren’t the same as you will find in the full Android App store as Barnes and Noble is acting as a gatekeeper, but you do have access to a decent number of apps off the bat including Angry Birds, Epicurious and numerous other apps that might appeal to book lovers like the Lonely Planet’s Phrasebook and GoodReads.
In all there are 125 apps available for the Nook Color right now including free and paid apps. The paid apps are from $2.99 to $5.99. While Android users typically stick to the free apps, adding apps to a device that has already conditioned users to pay for books and magazines may introduce a new breed of paying Android users.
In addition to apps, the new update brings an email client, but not the standard Gmail client, as well as Nook Friends, Nook Friends allows you to see what books other Nook users like and to manage book lending on your Nook. This is a nice addition, especially since the Kindle requires you to use a computer and a not always intuitive webpage to lend books.
Other enhancements include 15 new Read and Play titles in Nook Kids, embedded video and audio in Nook Books and enhancements to magazine reading.
How to Upgrade to the Nook App Store Manually
If you want the latest Nook Color software update with the Nook Color App Store, follow these directions to manually upgrade your Nook Color. The process is straightforward and is easy enough for most Nook Color users to undertake on their own.
- Download the Nook Color update from Barnes & Noble.
- Make sure your Nook Color is charged above 20% battery life.
- Connect your Nook Color to the Computer. Wait for a USB Mode message to appear.
- Copy your downloaded “nookcolor_1_2_update.zip” file to the main directory of your Nook Color. (This is the file area you see when you open the Nook Color on your Computer.
- After the file transfers, Safely Eject and remove your Nook Color.
- The Nook Color will find the update file within a few minutes, or after it goes to sleep.
- The Nook Color will begin to update. Do not turn off the power while it is updating.
- The Nook Color will restart and you will be taken to the home screen. When you see the familiar green “n” you can touch it to proceed.
- You now have the latest Nook Software.
5 Simple Work From Home Setups
Here are simple work from home setups that you can use to be more productive while you adapt to working...
Samsung Galaxy Android 10 Update Info (2020)
With the Samsung Galaxy Android 10 update rolling out to some devices and new info starting to emerge, we want...