The Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update isn’t arriving on the Verizon Galaxy S III devices yet, but when it does, expect 14 new features that will deliver a better camera, better use of the 4.8-inch screen and an “Easy Mode” for first time smartphone owners.
Samsung shows off the Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update features in two blog posts, complete with videos that highlight these new features coming as a Jelly Bean Android 4.1.2 Update.
Many of these features are already available on the Galaxy Note 2. By brining these features to the Galaxy S III, Samsung is upping the ante as it competes with the iPhone 5 which doesn’t include the software functionality for many of these features. The Jelly Bean update is no Android 4.2 update, but it could tide over current owners and smartphone shoppers until the Galaxy S4 arrives in early 2013.
Samsung doesn’t offer any details on the Galaxy S III Jelly Bean Android 4.1.2 upgrade release date, but we expect the update will arrive first for international devices before arriving on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. Several of these Galaxy S III models already run Android 4.1, but this new update would bump from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. Given the timing, a 2013 release date is probable.
The video below shows seven of the new Galaxy S III features arriving with the Jelly Bean update. After using features like Page Buddy and Multi Window on the Verizon Galaxy Note 2, we’re excited to see that Samsung is delivering the same experience to the smaller screen of the Galaxy S III.
- Page Buddy – When a user plugs in headphones the Galaxy S III will bring up a page with the music player.
- Contextual Menu – When looking at apps, sort by most frequently used apps.
- Contextual Tag – Tag the weather, date and place a photo is taken right after snapping it.
- Multi Window – Use two apps at once, just like on the Galaxy Note 2, to enjoy multiple apps at once.
- Auto Share Shot Pairing with NFC – Quickly share photos with Auto Shot Share to other Galaxy S III and S-Beam devices.
- Reader Mode – Control the text size of the web browser and tap on a page to share.
- Facebook Lock Ticker – View a Facebook News Feed on the Galaxy S III lock screen.
The second video shows off the new Galaxy S III camera features and a new “Easy Mode” that makes it easier for first time smartphone owners to choose the Galaxy S III.
- Paper Artist – Turn your photos into a pop-artist sketch.
- Low Light Camera Shot – Take better photos in low light without the flash.
- Best Face – Take multiple photos of a group and pick the best face for each person in the group. See how Best Face works.
- Easy Mode – Sets five most often used widgets on the home screen to make using a smartphone simpler for new users.
- Sound Balance – Adjust the sound between left or right in headphones.
- Setup Wizard – View an accessibility menu after turning the phone on.
- Easy Snap – The Galaxy S III tells you how many faces it finds in a photo.
Samsung says the, “Availability and timing of the Premium Suite upgrade will vary depending on the country and mobile carrier.” in the announcement. Stay tuned for more details on the Galaxy S III Jelly Bean Android 4.1.2 update.