One of the downsides of using multiple mobile Tablet PCs / UMPCs, is that inevitably duplicate files will creep up due to on-the-fly backups, trying different sync programs, etc. A GBM reader recently asked us for a recommendation on a program to search and remove duplicate files.
One of the programs I’ve used in the past is NoClone – It is fast, has lots of options, and is exhaustive. Here is a list of features from the product page:
- True Byte-by-byte comparison , not by CRC / MD5, totally safe to delete files.
- Search duplicate file contents regardless of file name
- Search duplicate pictures (jpg, gif), video (avi, mpg), songs(mp3), DLLs and any file types
- Search files with same contents, same name, zero size and truncated files.
- Simple fuzzy match
- Smart marker of duplicate files by date, version, size, folder and file name pattern
- Preview files, show file versions and properties
- Save search session / Export result list to CSV format
- Search local hard drives (Home ed.) and over network (Enterprise ed.)
What program do you use to search for and remove duplicate files?