Amazon Prime is a great service to have if you use Amazon a lot. The $79/year service gives you free two-day shipping on Prime-eligible products (and $3.99 next-day shipping), access to Amazon’s Instant Video streaming service, and access to the Kindle Lending Library, where you can rent ebooks for free.
It’s definitely a service that’s worth its yearly cost if you use all off its features, but most people really just want free two-day shipping (especially since we’re approaching the holiday season), and sometimes the free shipping alone isn’t quite worth the $80 per year that you’d pay for the privilege. However, if you have a family member that has an Amazon Prime membership, they can share their free two-day shipping with you. Or if you have a Prime membership yourself and are wanting to share the free two-day shipping with a family member, we’ll show you how to do it. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll need to have the regular $79/year Prime membership; a student membership can’t be shared.
Amazon lets you share your free two-day shipping with up to four family members, so choose wisely. The requirements are a little odd, but it’s mostly for confirming that you know the person you’re inviting and that they know you as well — probably an effort to crack down on random sharing with people.
- Go to Amazon.com and sign into your account.
- Next, click on Your Account in the upper-right corner of the web page.
- Scroll down and click on Manage Prime Membership.
- Go down to the section titled Invite a Household Member. It might not be expanded, so if not, just click on the arrow to the right to expand the section and make it visible.
- To share your free two-day shipping with a family member, type in their name, relationship to you, their email address and their birthday.
- Click on Send an Invite to complete the invitation.
Once they receive the invite, they’ll be asked to enter in your birthday as a confirmation that they know you personally. Technically, you’re only allowed to invite a family member, but one of the options under Relationship to You is “unmarried partner,” so feel free to give an invite to your boyfriend or girlfriend.
When they accept the invitation, they show up in this same section right above the entry form, and if at any time you want to take away their free two-day shipping, you can select the bubble next to their name and click Revoke.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.