Sprint has yet to launch its 4G WiMax edition of Research in Motion’s BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, but the carrier has now announced that it will start selling the 16 GB WiFi edition through its channels, including its corporate-owned retail stores.
The 16 GB WiFi edition of the PlayBook tablet will retail for $499.99. The device features a gorgeous 7-inch 1024 X 600 display, dual-core gigahertz processor, HD front- and rear-facing cameras, and the power to multitask with the QNX operating system that’s powering the BlackBerry Tablet OS.
Users of the WiFi PlayBook still need to rely on the BlackBerry Bridge connection to their BlackBerry smartphone to get basic apps like Calendar and Email on their phones.
BlackBerry PlayBook with Wi-Fi Available from Sprint on June 5
The much anticipated BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet with Wi-Fi® connectivity and 16 GB of storage will go on sale in all Sprint direct ship sales channels, including Sprint Stores, Business Sales, www.sprint.com and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) on Sunday, June 5, for $499.99 (plus tax).
BlackBerry PlayBook delivers a professional-grade, consumer-friendly experience that redefines the possibilities of mobile computing. This ultra-portable tablet, measuring less than half an inch thick and weighing less than a pound, looks and feels great. It features a vivid 7-inch high-resolution display that is highly-responsive with a fluid touch screen experience. It also offers industry-leading performance, uncompromised web browsing with full Adobe Flash support, true multitasking, HD multimedia, advanced security features and out-of-the-box enterprise support.
Customers that have a BlackBerry smartphone can also benefit from BlackBerry® Bridge™, a unique feature that allows the user to wirelessly and securely connect their BlackBerry smartphone, running OS 5.0 or higher, to the BlackBerry PlayBook over Bluetooth®. The secure connection allows the user to access their BlackBerry smartphone’s email, address book, calendar, memo pad, task list, BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger™) and browsing functionality using the large display on the tablet.
BlackBerry Bridge is available as a free download on BlackBerry App World™ and will be supported on BlackBerry smartphone data plans from Sprint for no additional charge.
BlackBerry PlayBook features include:
- 7-inch 1024×600 WSVGA capacitive LCD touch screen
- Ultra-portable at less than a pound and less than one-half inch thick: 0.9 lbs (425g) and 5.1″ x 7.6″ x 0.4″ (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)
- 1GHz dual-core processor
- BlackBerry® Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
- MP3, AAC and WMA audio playback
- Support for high resolution video playback (H.264, MPEG4, WMV)
- 1080p HDMI output
- Two 1080p HD cameras for video conferencing and video capture – 3 megapixel front-facing and 5 megapixel rear-facing
- 1 GB RAM memory
- 16 GB internal storage
- GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)
- Stereo speakers and stereo microphones
- Wi-Fi® (802.11 a/b/g/n) connectivity
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support
- In addition to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet with Wi-Fi, Sprint and RIM are working together on the BlackBerry 4G PlayBook tablet.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited.
The Best Gifts for iPhone Owners
These are the best gifts you can give an iPhone owner. I spend every day testing the latest and greatest...
4 Reasons Not to Install iOS 13.3 & 10 Reasons You Should
The iOS 13.3 update is a milestone release and it could have a huge impact on your iPhone’s performance. While some of...