Texas Instruments is making its Qi-compatible wireless charging chips smaller. According to the company, the chips are 80 percent smaller than the current generation chipsets and this would help to make wireless charging a feature on various consumer electronic devices, including smartphones, digital cameras, portable gaming consoles, tablets, and other gadgets.
Here are some of the benefits of the new TI Qi chip solution:
- Highly integrated and efficient wireless power receiver IC includes full-bridge synchronous rectification, voltage conditioning and wireless power control in a single device.
- 1.9-mm x 3-mm WCSP package allows for easy integration with minimal size impact. Device area is 80 percent less than TI’s first-generation receiver.
- The receiver and its associated bq500110 transmitter IC are Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) Qi-compliant. This compliance ensures interoperability between various charging pads and portable devices.
- Built-in protection against voltage, current and temperature fault conditions, assures safe and reliable system operation.
- 93-percent peak efficiency reduces thermal rise inside the system while allowing charge rates comparable to an AC adapter.
Wireless inductive charging entered the mainstream consumer electronics market when Palm had introduced the Palm Pre with its wireless Touchstone charger. The charging system, which comprises of the Touchstone dock and the new back battery cover, contains magnets. When the Palm Pre was attached to the Touchstone via magnet–no cables require–a trickle charge was enabled and Palm also introduced a number of smart features, including automatic switching to speakerphone when the Pre was docked.
Since then, there have been various wireless charging solutions from various companies, like Energizer, Duracell, and others, but many of these systems were not inter-operable. Enter the Qi alliance for wireless charging, which is now adopted by various manufacturers including LG, HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. That means that, for instance, if you buy a Qi-compatible charger from a manufacture like HTC, it could work on any Qi-compatible phone, like a Motorola smartphone. The alliance hopes to expand and enable wireless charging into more gadgets.
A number of Android phones from Verizon Wireless’s 4G LTE lineup are said to be getting Qi-compatible wireless charging solutions in the future.
Texas Instruments introduces industry’s smallest wireless power receiver chip
Easily integrates wireless charging technology into new and existing portable electronics
DALLAS, April, 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced its next generation of wireless power technology, which is 80-percent smaller than TI’s previous receiver chip. The tiny, highly integrated device makes it easy for designers to implement wireless charging in their existing and new designs for portable consumer devices, such as smart phones, gaming systems, digital cameras, and medical and industrial equipment.
The bq51013 receiver integrated circuit (IC) combines voltage conditioning and full wireless power control in a small 1.9-mm x 3-mm WCSP package. The new circuit supports up to 5 W of output power, provides up to 93-percent efficient AC/DC power conversion and is the only IC required between the receiver coil and system. For more information or to order samples of the bq51013, visit: www.ti.com/bq51013-pr.
“Smartphone and consumer electronics manufacturers are demanding wireless power, and TI is well positioned to help our customers drive widespread adoption of this technology that makes life easier for people on the go to charge their devices,” said Sami Kiriaki, senior vice president over TI’s Power Management business. “Designers can use the bq51013 to quickly integrate wireless power into existing and new applications with minimal impact to overall solution size.”
Key features and benefits
* Highly integrated and efficient wireless power receiver IC includes full-bridge synchronous rectification, voltage conditioning and wireless power control in a single device.
* 1.9-mm x 3-mm WCSP package allows for easy integration with minimal size impact. Device area is 80 percent less than TI’s first-generation receiver.
* The receiver and its associated bq500110 transmitter IC are Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) Qi-compliant. This compliance ensures interoperability between various charging pads and portable devices.
* Built-in protection against voltage, current and temperature fault conditions, assures safe and reliable system operation.
* 93-percent peak efficiency reduces thermal rise inside the system while allowing charge rates comparable to an AC adapter.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of wireless power:
* bqTESLA150LP Wireless Power Evaluation Kit, which includes the bq51013 receiver and bq500110 transmitter: www.ti.com/bqTESLA150LP-pr
* bqTESLA150LP User Guide: www.ti.com/bqTESLA150LP-pr
Availability and pricing
The bq51013 wireless power receiver is available now in a 1.9-mm x 3-mm WCSP package, priced at $3.50 in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about TI’s wireless power portfolio by visiting the links below:
* Visit TI’s wireless power solution web page; view wireless power video overview: www.ti.com/wirelesspower-pr
* Download bq51013 data sheet or order samples: www.ti.com/bq51013-pr
* Download bq500110 data sheet: www.ti.com/bq500110-pr
* Ask questions, help solve problems in the Wireless Power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/wirelesspowerforum-pr
* Download the new Power Management Guide: www.ti.com/powerguide-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Samsung Galaxy Android 10 Update Info (2020)
With Samsung Galaxy Android 10 update rolling out to some devices and new info starting to emerge, we want to...
Best Smart Home Gifts for Your Parents in 2020
Smart home upgrades make the perfect gift for your parents this year. Whether it is a birthday gift or anniversary...