Learn how to transfer music from iPhone to computer using an affordable app that recovers music on your iPhone to a Mac or PC. If you need to download music from iPhone to computer to avoid losing your music library and playlists this guide will help you.
The most common reasons to transfer music from iPhone to computer like this is a hard drive crash that destroyed the originals or buying a new computer without an easy way to transfer your iTunes library from one device to another.
With an affordable program you can transfer music from iPhone to computer in just a few minutes. You can try this without spending any money, but if you need to use the program to transfer music from iPhone to computer you’ll need to buy the full version for $35 on Mac or PC or $50 for two licenses you can use on Mac and PC.
Although this guide focuses on how to transfer music from iPhone to Computer, this also works for the iPad and is a perfect way to transfer music from iPod to computer when you need to get ready on a new computer to upgrade to an iPhone.
How to Transfer Music from iPhone to Computer
Apple offers a collection of ways to move your music form an old computer to a new one, but if you only have the music on the iPhone, iPod or iPad this is what you’ll need to do.
The first thing you’ll need to do is download iExplorer from MacroPlant. This is a free download to make sure it works for you, but the demo includes some limits so you’ll need to buy a full version if you plan to use this to transfer all iPhone music to Mac or PC.
This app will work on the iPhone 6 and iOS 8, as well as older devices like the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPad 2 and iPod touch 4th generation. Essentially you can use this for any mobile Apple device.
In addition to letting you transfer music from iPhone to computer, this app also lets you export iPhone text messages, mount the iPhone as an external drive, access files and photos on the iPhone.
Transfer Music from iPhone to Mac
This part of the guide shows you how to transfer music from iPhone to Mac in a few easy steps.
After you download iExplorer you’ll need to drag it to Applications to install it. You’ll need iTunes installed, which isn’t a problem on a Mac since it is there by default.
1. Open iTunes and make sure the iPhone shows up in iTunes. If this is the first time you plug-in make sure you “trust” the computer by tapping on the iPhone and clicking on the iTunes pop up. The iPhone needs to be connected by USB cable.
2. Open iEXplorer. If you purchased it enter the code now, if not continue in demo mode.
3. Choose the Music option on the main screen to see the music on the iPhone or iPod.
4. To Transfer music from iPhone to Mac one song at a time click on a song then on Transfer from Device.
5. Choose to export to a folder or right into iTunes.
6. Within a second or two the song will be where you want it and you can use it just like any other music file.
If you want to transfer music from iPhone to Mac automatically, including playlists and ratings, you can choose the Auto Transfer option to move all of the iPhone music to Mac in one go.
Transfer Music from iPhone to PC
Here’s we’ll show you how to transfer music from iPhone to PC using the same tool, but on Windows 8. This also works on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. You need to download iTunes for this to work. Many Windows PCs do not include this so make sure you download iTunes before you install iExplorer. If you install iExplorer first you may need to go through an extra step later.
1. The first thing you’ll need to do is open iTunes and make sure the iPhone shows up. If it doesn’t you won’t be able to transfer music from iPhone to PC. You will probably need to tap on Trust this computer on the iPhone screen.
2. Open iEXplorer for PC. If you purchased it enter the code now, if not continue in demo mode.
3. Choose the Music option on the main screen to see the music on the iPhone or iPod on your PC.
4. To transfer music from iPhone to PC you can click on one song then on Transfer from iPhone Name to – iTunes or a Folder.
5. That’s all there is to transfer music from iPhone to PC using this tool. If you need to transfer multiple items you can choose Auto Transfer and it will transfer iPhone music and playlists to PC, as well as ratings.
You can use the other tools included in this iExplorer tool by choosing something other than music on the left side bar.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.