Best Buy has attempted to resolve consumer confusion regarding the purpose of netbooks with this flash presentation. As Warner described, many first time shoppers and novice users are purchasing netbooks with the belief that they will be a desktop/laptop substitute. While it is true that a netbook does provide necessary computing functionality, they do lack standard laptop features like DVD/Rs, faster processors, and larger screens. The Best Buy presentation won’t teach power users anything new, but does highlight the popularity of the netbook platform.
If you’re a first time netbook shopper, consider splurging for these must-haves:
- 10 inch or larger screen. I’ve found anything less than 10 inches is too limiting; even 8.9 inches is too small. The only thing that trumps a 10 inch screen is a price you can’t walk away from.
- Get a 6 cell or larger capacity battery. If you want to have 4.5+ hours of battery life, a 6 cell battery is a must have. What’s the point in purchasing a netbook if you can only use it for 2 hours?
- The larger the keyboard, the better.
- 100+ GB HDD. A 4GB SSD simply won’t be enough to save photos, movies, or music. Spend a tad more and get the storage that’s required.
A netbook that meets the above criteria and won’t break the bank:
- The Asus Eee PC 1000HA is currently selling for $389 on Amazon. The 1000HA is cousin to the 1000H, lacks Bluetooth, and costs less than comparable models. LAPTOP Magazine put the 1000H to the test against the MSI Wind in this feature. Liliputing.com also took a look at the 1000H and had positive things to say.
Watch Best Buy’s flash explanation here.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.