When you look for what’s new in iOS 8.2, you might only see a few changes at first, but there are a lot of upgrades hidden in this update that make it very interesting even if you aren’t planning to buy an Apple Watch right away. This iOS 8.2 vs iOS 8.1 and iSO 8 comparison will walk you though the iOS 8 changes.
There are five key areas that Apple focused on with the iOS 8.2 update. One of these is the Apple Watch that the company announced on March 9th, but the rest deliver a better health app, more stability, bug fixes and security updates. We’ll explain the iOS 8.2 changes and what they mean for users who are experiencing iOS 8.1.3 problems.
The iOS 8.2 release arrived on Monday March 9th, but many users are just getting a notification that there is an update waiting to install with a small red bubble appearing on the Settings app. iOS 8.2 is available for every device already running iOS 8, which includes the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini, iPad mini Retina, iPad mini 3 and the iPod touch 5th generation.
There are no major visual changes to the look of iOS 8.2, which is not a surprise. Apple normally focuses on adding new features and fixing problems with these larger x.2 updates. For users who ran into issues with iOS 8, there are important upgrades that may deliver a better overall experience.
After you read about what’s new in iOS 8.2, you can use our iOS 8.2 Upgrade Guide to install the update on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
Here is a look at the iOS 8.2 features and iOS 8.2 changes for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.
Apple Watch Support
The Apple Watch release date arrives on April 24th, but you can download the iOS 8.2 update today to add support to your device. This installs the Apple Watch app on the iPhone 5 and newer. Eventually you will use it to pair to the Apple Watch and you will also be able to browse Apple Watch apps from inside this app.
- New Apple Watch app to pair and sync with iPhone, and to customize watch settings
- New Activity app for viewing fitness data and achievements from Apple Watch; appears when Apple Watch is paired
- Available on iPhone 5 and later
You cannot delete the Apple Watch app, but you can hide it inside a folder if you don’t want to see it.
Health App Improvements
Some of the biggest iOS 8.2 changes are from the Apple Health App that shipped with iOS 8. The app is now more stable and there are fixes for a number of issues.
- Adds the ability to select the unit of measurement for distance, body temperature, height, weight and blood glucose
- Improves stability when dealing with large amounts of data
- Includes the ability to add and visualize workout sessions from 3rd-party apps
- Addresses an issue that may have prevented users from adding a photo in Medical ID
- Fixes units for vitamins and minerals
- Fixes an issue where Health data wouldn’t refresh after changing data source order
- Fixes an issue where some graphs showed no data values
- Adds a privacy setting that enables turning off tracking of steps, distance and flights climbed
If you gave up on using the iOS 8 Health app last year, it’s time to take a closer look.
iPhone Stability Enhancements
iPhone users will love these five fixes that should deliver a more stable iPhone experience on the iOS 8.2 update.
- Increases stability of Mail
- Improves stability of Flyover in Maps
- Improves stability of Music
- Improves VoiceOver reliability
- Improves connectivity with Made for iPhone Hearing Aids
Anyone who is tired of apps crashing or acting odd will appreciate these fixes targeted especially at the iPhone.
iOS 8.2 Bug fixes
Apple delivered a dozen iOS 8.2 bug fixes with this update. These are the fixes that Apple called out specifically and we occasionally see others arrive as part of the update. There are many fixes in the iOS 8.2 update, but for people who use the iPhone in a car with Siri Eyes Free or with a Bluetooth headset, these are a welcome fix.
- Fixes an issue in Maps that prevented navigating to some favorite locations
- Addresses an issue where the last word in a quick reply message wasn’t autocorrected
- Fixes an issue where duplicate iTunes purchased content could prevent iCloud restore from completing
- Resolves an issue where some music or playlists didn’t sync from iTunes to the Music app
- Fixes an issue where deleted audiobooks sometimes remained on device
- Resolves an issue that could prevent call audio from routing to car speakers while using Siri Eyes Free
- Fixes a Bluetooth calling issue where no audio is heard until the call is answered
- Fixes a timezone issue where Calendar events appear in GMT
- Addresses an issue that caused certain events in a custom recurring meeting to drop from an Exchange calendar
- Fixes a certificate error that prevented configuring an Exchange account behind a third-party gateway
- Fixes an issue that could cause an organizer’s Exchange meeting notes to be overwritten
- Resolves an issue that prevented some Calendar events from automatically showing as ‘Busy’ after accepting an invite
Typically Apple also includes some other fixes, that aren’t listed in full detail here.
iOS 8.2 Security Fixes
There are six specific iOS 8.2 security fixes in the update that should make the iPhone more secure. This also impacts the iOS 8.2 jailbreak, which users need to wait on.
Apple fixes an error that let a remote attacker force a restart, fixed an issue that let an attacker with a privileged network position execute arbitrary code. Another fix focuses on an app that can execute code with system privileges and an issue that let a malicious app create folders in trusted locations. The iOS 8.2 update also delivers a fix that allowed an attacker with a privileged network connection to intercept SSL/TLS connections.
Finally, the iOS 8.2 update fixes an issue that allowed, “A person with physical access to the device may be able to see the home screen of the device even if the device is not activated.” You can see more about the iOS 8.2 changes relating to security on Apple’s website.
5 Reasons to Pre-Order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & 3 Reasons To Wait
Should you pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? We can help you decide if you should pre-order Call of Duty...
10 Best Surface Pro Alternatives in 2019
There are Surface Pro alternatives that offer lower prices, more battery life, more storage and include the accessories you need...