Battery Issue the Reason Behind the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Delay?

There has been constant chatter about the release date of the HTC Thunderbolt, a 4G LTE Android smartphone for Verizon Wireless that is anticipated as a rival to the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint and the HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T with its 4.3-inch display, kickstand, HTC Sense user interface, and fast mobile broadband connectivity. Recent speculations made by Engadget suggest that the delay of the handset may caused by the less than stellar battery life.

Last night, Xavier wrote that the recent commercials on Verizon’s YouTube channel for the Thunderbolt have been pulled, which could suggest that the handset may not be ready for launch yet by the early to mid-March timeframe originally suggested by a Best Buy tweet–Best Buy had tweeted March 4th as a launch date though several news outlets have reported later that the date could have slipped to March 10th.

A user had re-posted the Verizon Thunderbolt commercial on YouTube, which is embedded below:

According to Engadget, to power management issues, perhaps related to the use of the emerging 4G LTE technology for faster mobile broadband access, may be the culprit behind delay; the handset has been delayed at least six times now. A tipster to the popular consumer electronics blog says that a firmware update is on its way to resolve both battery and signal issues.

So far, Verizon only has two USB LTE 4G broadband modems for use with laptops, desktops, and notebooks. The USB modems are now PC and Mac compatible. At the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year, the carrier had announced ten new 4G products for its network, including 4 Android smartphones, 1 notebook, 1 netbook, and the Motorola Xoom tablet–which will launch with 3G though a 4G upgrade is forthcoming, 2 mobile hotspot routers of which one will be a MiFi router by Novatel, and a third USB 4G LTE modem from Novatel. The carrier did not promise an exact launch date, except to say that the devices are expected to launch soon, and that the smartphones demonstrated at CES were still working prototypes.

4G LTE smartphones on Verizon are expected from HTC, Motorola, LG, and Samsung. More recently, the carrier has also hinted of 4G LTE products forthcoming from Apple, though it did not specify what products those may be nor when they will launch. The Thunderbolt from HTC is widely believed to be the first of the 4G LTE smartphones to launch on Verizon Wireless, followed possibly by the Motorola Droid Bionic with its dual-core processor made by Texas Instruments.

Comments

1. Bill says

The question should be, does Verizon even have a 4G network in the USA or they dupping their stock holders, customers and the rest of the world? The most expensive Tablet, the Zoom doesn’t have it, promised sometime in the future, no 4G phones. T-Mobile, Sprint and ATT have 4G, if Verizon really has it, they sure aren’t allowing it to be used. This may be a huge fraud on the country by Verizon that that explains their strange behavior and silence.

2. Bill says

• Anonymous says

I would ask one of the many people using Verizon’s 4G laptop connectors. They will probably have an answer to that question.

• Mike Smith says

According to the FCC, neither does Verizon. True 4G has minimum speeds of 100 Mbps. So neither does our great Big Red. As far as LTE is concerned, Verizon needs to get their act together.

• anonymous says

When I worked for verizon they had use another name for the same service people are already getting to make it appear as thought it is a faster better service and it is not.. It was the same speed with minor changes in the service…… suprise; suprise…….They just had us sign something saying we would not ever tell anyone… – how disappointing for society…..

• Wazupwiturface says

Att has 4g where I work…. After I set up the inspire and it says 4g…and then the internet is fast….they have 4g just as much as any other carrier in the us…

• StangGT says

The signal you are getting with that is a 3G technology that they call 4G. The technology they use for their “4G” is HSPA+. Well HSPA is the technology they use for their 3G so just cause they put a + behind it it’s now 4G, please. That is why AT&T is going to roll out a 4G LTE network later in increments just like Verizon and Sprint are doing, but they want to try to one up Sprint and Verizon by saying they have 4G on their entire network now. Neither Sprint or Verizon have it on the whole network, and most consumers don’t know the difference about the technology used to push the signal so AT&T are lying about having 4G. T-Mobile is also using HSPA+ for their so called “4G”. Also anyone that buys an AT&T 4G phone now be prepared to be screwed over by AT&T cause once they start to roll out their 4G LTE later this year, your phone is old news and old technology.

• chad says

The big two things going around now is maybe it’s the battery it sucks big time.And APPLE might have the copy write on the THUNDER BOLT name.

• Ostromdi says

You are completely wrong. Get your facts straight. Verizon’s 4G aircard pulls in 30 down and 35 up. clocked it myself-

• StangGT says

I have a Verizon 4G usb and yes it does work and way faster than my 3G usb i had before this that was also with Verizon. And also AT&T and T-Mobile are not even real 4G. They are using a 3G technology and are calling it 4G. If anything they are the ones who are lying to their customers. I am waiting for the Thunderbolt and not worried about these so called “DELAYS” cause how can Verizon delay something if they never announced a release date. This is all Best Buys fault. They are the ones pulling dates out of their rears and upsetting everyone that wants the phone. When Verizon first debuted the phone at CES they said the release would be AROUND Q1 of 2011. Stop trusting Best Buy and just wait for Verizon to announce it. I GUARANTEE when Verizon states a release date it will be released on that day.

• kw says

Verizon was the one that told bestbuy it was coming out feb 14 but yeah other than that 1 time you are right just wait for verizon to say so.

3. artvandelay says

The problem is deeper than power management. Verizon isn’t prepared for mobile demand from cellphones for its 4G service…You will not see a 4G handset from Verizon for at least 90 days, maybe not until the fourth quarter. Verizon has excellent coverage but has not managed its 4G installation well and heads should roll over it. If you want one of these beautiful HTC or Samsung or Motorola Android phones, go to ATT or Sprint.

• Ostromdi says

sprints 4g is weak. i launched the evo with them. talk about crappy battery life. Sprints “4g” is only 10 megs.

4. Turd says

My grandmother’s neighbor’s sister who knows someone’s brother who has another brother who works with the sister of someone who used the bathroom at a Best Buy overheard a conversation about the Thunderbolt being released on December 12, 2017 without a battery or even a back cover. The battery and cover are being replaced by a small crank that you will have to turn for 20 minutes to enable a 2.5 minute phone call. Pricing yet to be determined.

• Sick of waiting says

yeah and my question is should I keep waiting for the thunderbolt or just go get the Iphone,
      It will probably be Dec and it will cost moucho deneiro by the time it comes out.

• Tkc8016 says

My iphone will ber here Monday. I am so tired of waiting for this phone. Maybe in a few months when its $50 like the palm pre i will pick it up for my second line. What a joke,

• Jcguerrero33 says

lol yea right a horrible attempt of a joke

• [email protected] says

My husband has that idea on a website. So, I hope that no one tries to take that away from him. He has already worked with someone to determine if it is possible.

5. prest4477 says

I had the EVO 4g on Sprints crappy network. The battery is an issue as well with the EVO. It is average at best. In addition, I had to return the phone due to poor service in my area (data issue). I am really disappointed with Verizon. I thought they were going to deliver a great phone on a solid network. Not sure what phone or carrier to go with now. I have been waiting over a month and I am tired of my out of date flip phone.

6. Netadmin says

quote:
    “The Thunderbolt from HTC is widely believed to be the first of the 4G LTE smartphones to launch on Verizon Wireless, followed possibly by the Motorola Droid Bionic with its dual-core processor made by Texas Instruments.”

Please check your facts. The Droid Bionic uses the Nvidia Tegra 2 chipset and does not use a Texas Instruments processor as you stated.

7. Turd says

I found out today that Best Buy is going to release the phone on Monday as previously announced even though there is a battery issue; it truly only lasts for 2-3 hours. Just too many people complaining. When you pick up the phone, you will have the option to pre-order the firmware upgrade for $395. The upgrade will be available sometime next January. In the meantime, Petco is offering a hamster-powered generator that can be plugged into the mini-USB port to maintain the charge.

8. Mppb says

Staying with my iPhone I also read that best buy had suggested a price increase to 300 dollars screw it no droid is worth that must money if we wait a couple of months the thunderbolt will be $49 and they will be begging consumers to buy on.

9. DIY Credit Repair says

I think only certain people can pull off walking around with a phone called the Thunderbolt, like a pro wrestler or something. The droids seem nice I am just used to the iPhone and like the way it works for me and plan on sticking with them 3G, 4G, whatever G, I mean how many G’s are necessary to send an email or stream a movie from Netlfix?

10. georgep says

Stop playing games and get an Evo like everyone else.Just buy the big battery and dont worry about 4g and the price or data used.

11. Judson says

YAWWWNNN!! err I just want this bloody cool phone..not a stupid miniature I PHONE so they better hurry up..

12. Wazupwiturface says

The iphone sales were weak…verizon denied it…they pull their android phone so now you rethink theyre iphone

13. chad says

Can’t release a 4G phone,when Verizon has no 4G service,plain and simple.They need to just release the THUNDERBOLT as a 3G phone.

14. factchecker says

Thunderbolt next week. Count on it. No one has ‘true’ 4G. Sprint and AT&T have souped up 3G; plain and simple.