We are going to show you how to make your own smartphone tripod adapter which will allow you to use any smartphone with any tripod. This is especially handy if you want to attach your Android smartphone to a tripod or monopod to get a steady shot or record video of yourself. Unlike the iPhone, there are not a wide number of smartphone tripod adapters available for Android devices.
Our DIY smartphone tripod mount won’t beat out the xShot tripod adapter for the iPhone or a universal smartphone tripod adapter in looks, but it will get the job done. Best of all, you can make the mount for under $10 with supplies from your local hardware store.
What You’ll Need
- Tripod with detachable mount
- L Shaped Bracket (Wide) or Stanley T-Plate
- 1/4 inch winged hex nut
- Case for your smartphone
How to Make a Smart Phone Tripod Adapter
1. Head to the store to find your supplies. Take your smartphone and the removable mount from your tripod with you so that you can mock up your creation at the hardware store. If possible you should look for an L shaped bracket that already has a whole you can use. If not you will also need a drill and a 1/4 inch drill bit.
2. Attach the L shaped bracket to your tripod mount and secure with the wing nut. Using a wing nut will allow you to quickly attach and remove your smartphone tripod adapter from your tripod. If you purchased a T-Plate you will need to bend it to the correct shape using the edge of a counter or table.
3. Place one side of your velcro on the L shaped bracket.
4. Place the other side on your smartphone case. We don’t reccomend attaching it directly to your smartphone as it will be a pain to remove and will likely seal your battery compartment.
5. Start taking pictures or recording video with your tripod mountable Android or iPhone smartphone.
You should end up with something similar top this DIY smartphone tripod adapter.
Tripod example via Flickr – justpics2007