Acer Iconia Tab A500 Honeycomb 3.1 Update Begins, Stops Short for Some

The Acer Iconia Tab A500 Android tablet is being update via an OTA update today across the world in a slow rolling update based on device serial numbers. By the time you read this most should have an update ready.

You can check for the Honeycomb update by going to Settings, tapping About and then Software Update. When it asks whether to check, let it check and you should see the screen below.

acer iconia tab a500 update ready

The official A500 Honeycomb update is 1.41.07, but you may see a different number depending on if you are getting the actual Honeycomb update or an interim update that prepares the way for the big one. Some are reporting in the XDA Developer’s forum, that this is in fact the Honeycomb 3.1 update that has been promised by Acer for “the end of June” which has obviously stretched five days into July.

The problem is that some are not receiving Honeycomb 3.1. They are getting a simple incremental update to version 3.0.1, which is the number I have installed now and most have had installed for about a month. And a few unlucky folks like me cannot tell what the update includes, because it will not install at all. I can get to the screen that offers to reboot so that it can update, it reboots and starts to apply the update, but about a fourth of the way through it quits and displays the following:

update failure on acer iconia tab a500

If you are in the same boat here are a few things you can try, although none of them worked for me.

1. Be sure you are plugged in before trying to apply the update.
  2. Unroot your device if you are already rooted, although some say this is not necessary.
  3. Follow the conversation at XDA Developer’s Forum which is being updated as people get the update.
The Iconia A500 Honeycomb update includes the following according to tech2.in:
  • System performance improvement
  • Better support for USB devices through the built-in USB ports
  • Improved Bluetooth support
  • HTML 5 Video support
  • Additional video codec support
  • Better Wi-Fi performance
  • Fix for screen turning on randomly as the device accesses Wi-Fi
  • Exchange support

Comments

1. Boydioro says

If you search the net you will find out that 141 was/is a 3.0.1 update that started pushing to a500s back in May yet was stopped, not sure why, but was pushed to my a500 yesterday. The tablet info shows it still being 3.0.1 and all the goodies coming with 3.1 aren’t in my tablet yet so still waiting for the official ota update of 3.1. It would be good for you to make a correction.

2. McStabstab says

I’ve just updated my A500 to 3.1 thought it might reset my tab to factory settings but it’s kept everything, the update only took about 10minutes to install (it’s about 124mb). I got the 3.0.1 update in june I was hoping it was the 3.1 update. Now to check what apps don’t work with 3.1!

3. Denishaw says

Am in the process of updating my a500 to 3.1 now, I already had 3.0.1 since early June and l think the info in this article about it being system update 1.141 relates to that version, the 3.1 update starts 4. something.

4. Denishaw says

5. McStabstab says

Well there’s a good start, the first game I try on 3.1 (Asphalt 6) I get force close after less than a minute of racing!

6. Boydioro says

An update to my earlier comment.  The 3.1 update push just came through on my A500 and the version does indeed start with 4 (thanks for sharing Denishaw), specifically: ACER_A500_4.010.08_COM_GEN2
    Hope this helps those who may have been misinformed on the 141 and in this instance it was pushed approximately 24 hours prior to the receipt of the 3.1.

7. tjs says

I received the 3.0.1 incremental download on July 4th then got the 3.1 download today, July 6th. It does appear that Acer made that incremental update a prerequisite. So far, 3.1 seems to be faster, and after downloading a few odd updates such as the music app, it appears to be a bit more stable.

8. Dhsviking says

I got the 3.01 yesterday and today 3.1.  Only app that is not working so far is Nook – which is now installed where it cannot be uninstalled.

9. Sue says

I got the 3.1 update today and seemed to work well for a couple of hours.  Now I cannot connect to my wifi network – it goes into a “scan-connecting-obtaining IP” loop and gives up after a few tries.  Please help if anyone figured out a solution for this problem…

10. cory says

I have the same “scan-connecting-obtaining IP” loop that others have.  I already Factory Reset both my A500 and my router, and it DID NOT HELP..  I cannot connect to my home wifi.  I can connect at work, but since that uses a proxy, maybe that’s why Android Market won’t download anything.  Problem: after Factory Reset I lost all my apps.

• cory says

I tried the reset button several times, every “easy” think I could think of.  And re-doing the wifi network setting from scratch also didn’t help.  And here’s the kicker: I performed a 2nd hard reset (Factory Reset), and it worked fine immediately.  I don’t understand what’s going on.  But mine works now.

• Oscarchusantos says

Reading all your comments makes me happy, I thought I screwed up my tab. Now this is bad, I bought many apps already, if I reset as suggested here, i will throw my money away because of the fault that is now obvious not mine.

• Johnny Kwan says

I have same issue since 2 days ago. Just chat with Acer support and confirm it is due to 3.1 upgrade and technical support recommend to do a Factory Reset.  I will try it tonight and hope it works.

• Jolivandy says

I have had the same problem and have had to do a factory reset twice in the last week. Wifi works well for awhile then goes back into the scanning obtaining IP address loop again. Acer support was no help.

• cory says

Okay, this is so NOT funny anymore:  My wifi is back to the looping/disable thing again, after working fine for 3 days.  So watch out!  Wifi CAN break again for no reason, even after everything, including the factory resets.  I liked this A500 until Honeycomb 3.1 broke my wifi.

• Alexandre Victoor says

Same problem here !
          Already done a first factory reset and after a few days ok, no wifi anymore and I will have to perform a reset, again…

• BFOOT says

You have two options. Set a static IP for the network you want to connect to just as a work around.
      OR
      There is a DHCP lease file called dhcpcd-wlan0.lease located in /data/misc/dhcp. Delete this to fix it. Unfotunately you need to root to see this file.
      I got root by using the package iconia_root by sc2k @xda (found it on a website somewhere).
      Then used ES File Explorer with root option enabled in settings.

As to the original error above for updates failing with the bee and yellow exclamation mark, this is due to having the clockwork mod recovery installed. If you set change it back to the original Acer one (which you should have backed up before you changed it) the updates work. The restore option isn’t available unless you have root however. This is using the Acer Recovery package from the market.

• Rebeldesigner says

Same here…

Reset works randomly… so sometimes it works on one reset sometimes on two and sometimes more… which is very stupid…

#Google #Acer should take action on it… instead of counting money…

• Kevin Richardson says

Same thing happened to me on vacation.  Had to wait til I got home to check it out, but factory reset worked perfectly.  Now just have to reinstall the apps.

11. Oscar says

By any chance, anyone who have other successful suggestion on how to solve this upgrade issue without using the factory reset which will eventually correct the bug but will throw your free or bought apps to oblivion, pleeeeeaaaasssss share.

• stewpa says

I just did a soft reset.  Wireless is now working.  All my paid apps are backed up by google and I got to reinstall them again.

• cory says

Whatever you do, make a factory reset only the very last resort.  Until you get wifi working, you cannot get your purchased apps back.  People are having some luck resetting their router, or soft resetting the Tab, or doing most anything that may reset the connection.  But just between you and me, it WILL break again.  Figure out a simple way to kick it back to life (and tell us all how), so you can download the OS patch whenever it comes.

12. Glt0507 says

For some reason I can’t get the update does anybody know how I can get it? My tablet checks and it says it is up to date.

• zalos says

i have the same problem  i had 3.0.1 when i bought the tab, then 3 days ago i got an update for 3.0.1 so i thought i had to do that again before i got 3.1  now at 1am its been 4 days  still says up to date  called acer support  3 times  they said it was android (they didnt seem to know google made android) that was causing the delay. i just want my update. any other news (US, was in NY then now NC for the past 3 days)

13. Deesem says

My A500 updated last week to 3.1 and then it just quit connecting to Wireless also. I added a static IP and it worked. I had to add a static IP at home and also at work. I found this solution on another forum.

• Ashimksanyal says

Arthur – I liked your solution. My wi-fi connection is restored. I don’t know how long it will stay like that. But time being I am happy till the next fix comes from Android. Thank you.

14. Arthur Leite says

I searched for a while for the wifi loop fix and couldnt find anything, so I called Acer and the lady was helpful and got me the solution, unfortunately she told me that this might happen again but the fix is not much of a headache and hopefully the fix will come soon.
    Here is the Fix (By the way, you will not lose any data):
    1) Once the tab is on, press that tiny reset button (I used a staple) and let it restart.
    2) Once your tab starts up again, simply repeat step 1, apparently you have to do it TWICE in a roll.

Im up and running again!

ZuzOnline

15. Ashimksanyal says

Hey Guys – If you have wifi issues after updating to 3.1, here is a solution. Do soft reset TWICE or THRICE. One after the other. As soon as you see ACER or ‘android’ shows up on your screen, reset it. It worked for me. You probably won’t need FACTORY RESET.

16. Ryksie1 says

Gday Everyone.
    What Ashimksanyal said works perfect.  I tried letting my tab fully start and pressed the soft reset button and it didn’t work, but if you do the soft reset 3 times in a row when the Acer/Android logo first shows your wireless will start working again. Since the 3.1 so-called up grade I have hard reset my tab 3 times to get my wireless working again but I lost all my apps.  At least with Ashimksanyal’s fix you can keep all your apps and settings.

17. Dhsiung says

I did hard reset once and soft reset countless times and it still cannot connect to the wifi network, looks like I need to return it

18. Dasher says

hey guys, i have had 3.1 for a while with no issues, but i was last night at a hotel, connected to the wireless, opend the browser to do thier accept conditions thing which then does something to my settings to allow the wifi to work, after that, same wifi looping issue as above.

i reckon the hotel log in system screwed it for me as it had been working flawlessly for a few weeks on 3.1.

• cory says

I think 3.1′s wifi is a time bomb, and will fail every few days regardless (even if you perform complicated “fixes” mentioned in various forums).  It probably depends on how often you connect to a new network, but it’s not actually the network at fault.  But I’m guessing :)

If you can get it to simply “reset”, that’s the best plan, until Acer sends an update.  Then you’ll have to decide if you trust the update enough to install ;)

• cory says

There’s a patch!  Go here right now:
        Drill down those menus to the “A500″ file section.  You’ll see a “Patch” tab.  Download the file, and follow the PDF instructions.  You’ll put the file called “update.zip” into the root of a microSD card, put that card into the A500, and follow a reboot process.  I did it just now.  It actually works!

Tonight, my wifi was broben again, just 2 days after the last reset.  So I “patched” it (what better way to try it out!).  No looping/disable thing now.  I don’t know what I’ll see 4 days from now, but it’s good at the moment.

And it also says “update your tablet’s operating system”.  I don’t see how to do that.  There’s only one OS file, and I can’t tell if it’s the one I need.  Could use some help with that part…

• cory says

My A500 popped up with an offer to update today.  It downloaded and I waited for one full hour for the “unzipping” before I gave up, pressed the reset button, and loaded it from the Settinngs menu.  Today’s OS is “Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2″, the same one that the “patch” file recommended.  Over the past two days, the wifi looping got worse, breaking each time I swapped networks (so I have several paper clips ready to go now).  Let’s see if things smooth out now.

19. David says

WTF Acer!  First of all the update unilaterally added two apps (one in Chinese than I can’t even read let alone delete, the second “Golden Club” a gambling app that I can’t even delete!) and now we get this shitty wifi loop. If you want to compete with the ipad, sort your shit out!

20. Mike Polyak says

Thank you BFOOT. Deleting dhcpcd-wlan0.lease located in /data/misc/dhcp did the trick

21. WiLL says

I manually set my wireless settings and it works perfect, but I know you cannot manually set IPs for public wireless networks.  Once I was able to connect on my home wireless network I did a check for updates and there is one.  After the machine rebooted and updated I changed the wireless settings to DHCP and all works well now.

22. Jack says

Hi
    I am having trouble connecting to wifi at home and work on my Acer Tab. Public places are fine. Acer installed a patch and now blames the routers. Any ideas?

23. Tim Paige says

I found all these same problems and finally tried un-checking the Wi-Fi to turn it off… after it turned off… I just turned it back on and it connected normally… this after resetting several times with the paper clip routine and off/on and things… so… just mentioning this worked for me. Thanks for having this discussion available for me to concentrate on solving this ANNOYANCE!… :-)
    Tim

• Larinho says

Just got my a500 last night and have been pulling my hair out with this wifi issue. Acer tech support is horrible. Returning this tablet asap!

24. Awhina Roberts says

So i got some update about 4 days ago, so I said yes, and it shutdown and ran the update but got stuck near the end. The wee android man was sitting there not doing anything so I held power button til it turned off. When I turned it back on I was unable to unlock the screen. It replies when i plug the charger in and things, I just can’t touch the screen at all to get in. When I push the power button to put it to sleep it just shuts the whole device down.
    I left it charging over night last night so I could have a good go at it this morning. When i took out the charger it said it was still at 12% despite charging all night and being very hot. I managed to get into it, but there are no apps on my screen, it is completely blank. When I go into settings I can only use a few of them, if I push on something like “About Tablet” I get a black screen that says “Android System” at the top.
    When I connect to my computer all of my stuff is there, I just can’t access it through the tablet. Because I can’t get to the about tablet screen I can’t restore factory settings and I have no idea what to do. Have I completely fucked this thing?

25. Ryan Mansbridge says

mine updated fine but during the procces I turned it off because I thought it was a virus and now when I start up my tablet it doesent respond to my finger on the screen so I cant fill in my pass.
    And when I press the lock button it shuts down immidiately. I have allready reset it with the reset button but the same thing happens over and over and I dont have cable to connect it to my pc.
    Please help

26. Avawins says

my brother was doing the up date he had it plunged in, but when it was loading the power went of in his room and now it will not turn on