Motorola Droid 2 Global Gingerbread Situation Doesn’t Look Good

In the middle of June, everything seemed as right as rain with the Droid 2 Global’s Gingerbread update. After a soak test, it would start rolling out to the Droid 2 Global masses and the Droid 2 Global would be one of a handful of old phones with the Android 2.2 upgrade. Unfortunately, none of that happened (the Droid X’s update is likely to blame) and last we heard from the Droid 2 Global Gingerbread update, it had been rejected by Verizon.

Droid 2 Global

Sadly, we have more bad news today as Verizon has apparently pulled the Gingerbread update information from its website and now lists the information of the previous software update.

So what does this mean? Well, there are two viewpoints. One, Verizon has been hard at work and it pulled the update info because it’s going to release another changelog in the next few days to reflect the stuff that it has fixed.

If you’re more of a glass half empty kind of person, then you’re probably thinking that this update has a long way to go before it’s released to the public and unfortunately, that’s the way I’m leaning right now.

I have a feeling that Verizon and Motorola want to iron out the issues with the Droid X and get Gingerbread out for the Motorola Droid X2 before anything happens with the Droid 2 Global. That means that it could be awhile before the update rolls out and while that’s a shame, take comfort in the fact that the companies didn’t release an update that was full of bugs.

Via: Droid-Life

Comments

1. Joe Liu says

This is where Android sucks big time – severely fragmented OS that takes forever to update. I didn’t know that when I switched from Nokia E71 to D2G, the D2G looked good on paper but it’s a piece of shit that I need to charge it TWICE a day just for some instant messaging. Good bye Android I will get my hands on the Nokia N9 as soon as it’s out!

• Lexroc says

I had the same problem with my D2G, but I went to settings>battery manager>battery mode> and changed my phone to Maximum battery saver. My phone can last all day depending on how I use it.

• Chris says

The updating delay isn’t caused by fragmentation, which does cause problems don’t get me wrong. It has more to do with the manufacturer’s creating there own custom skins. If all the android phones would just run stock build’s, there wouldn’t be this problem. The manufacturer’s have to get the updates from Google and then update their skin’s on top of that. That’s where most of this time is getting wasted, along with the carrier’s then rejecting the skin’s, which further delay’s the updates. Its a vicious cycle that Google needs to address, in my opinion.  Just look at phones like the Nexus S, or One which are updated almost immediately after an update rolls out because they run stock builds of android.

• Shawn Elliott says

haha i used to have that problem but then i got smart and fixed it….. i just worked 12 hours and so did my phone played music all day calls and text messages and no i don’t have an extended battery…. i love my d2g. and don’t blame android for the fragmented os… the nexus one and nexus S are amazing phones if you going to blame anyone. Blame moto, htc, samsung, lg, etc for making there phones so wacked out that it cant take android as… they take away and add so much crap then try duct taping the shit together

2. Sweetpea1262 says

I’m with you, I’m tired of all the glitches Android has and myself going to get an phone when it’s time for my upgrade which buy then the iPhone5 should be available

3. Matthewboyzo10 says

Right? The iPhone 3GS is still getting every update that Apple releases. Android leaves out a lot of the devices and they are forced to suffer with the old technology. It sucks.