TouchWiz UI Update Coming to Galaxy Tab 10.1 August 5th
Though Samsung had stated earlier that it would release a special softare update to its Android 3.1 Honeycomb Galaxy Tab 10.1 slates to New York City patrons first, the company is only now announcing that the same update will be coming this Friday, August 5th, to owners of the company’s WiFi-only slates. Targeting the WiFi-only slate is an unusual move for Samsung this time around–usually software updates hit the cellular-enabled (3G, 4G) models of tablets before they reach the WiFi model, but Samsung is giving its early adopters a treat.
The update will bring Samsung’s proprietary TouchWiz UI, Adobe Flash Player 10.3, and Samsung’s Media Hub, which will allow consumers to download additional content. Also part of the package will be a revamped and enhanced clipboard app that will allow users to maintain a list of clippings, rather than a single clip, along with a new Photo Editor, the Swype keyboard, Amazon Cliud Music Player, Kindle, and Word with Friends.
When the tablet had debuted at the CTIA trade show in March of this year, Samsung had referred to the UI as the ‘Sasmung Experience,’ suggesting that the company may have moved away from its TouchWiz moniker. However, it appears that this isn’t the case and the two are used interchangeably. What’s noticeably different from the TouchWiz on Honeycomb tablets versus the TouchWiz on smartphones is that the former experience doesn’t over-dominate the Android experience. Rather, you get widgets that you can opt to not use if you don’t want to, along with subtle enhancements that help to complement rather than dominate the Android experience. On the smartphone experience, TouchWiz really does take over your phone as a truly skinned experience.
The update will also bring a number of enterprise enhancements, including better ActiveSync support and tighter security through encryption and VPN.
New York residents and visitors were able to get the update on August 3rd. At least the wait isn’t too long for those outside of the New York area.
Here are the full details about the update:
- Live Panel: Magazine-like widget view for immediate access to weather, social updates, email, news, photo gallery, all on the home screen. The visual layout of Live Panel is completely customizable for one-touch entry into each user’s most important information.
- Mini Mode Tray: One-touch access to commonly used applications—Task Manager, Calendar, World Clock, Pen Memo, Calculator, Music—which overlay in a pop-up window on display screen for powerful multi-tasking.
- Clipboard: Advanced copy & paste functionality allows Galaxy Tab 10.1 users to store photos, Web pages, YouTube links, etc., on the clipboard for easy sharing via email and social network sites.
- Indicator Quick Panel: Quickly toggle on/off Wi-Fi, notifications, sound, brightness and settings in lower right hand corner of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 display.
- Photo Editor: Rotate, crop and adjust colors on high quality digital images
- Amazon Music Cloud Player: Upload your music in the cloud and access it from any device
- Amazon Kindle: Get access to about a million Kindle books
- Words with Friends: Face off against friends near and far with one of the most popular social games from Zynga
Enterprise Solutions and Services:
- Full support for Exchange ActiveSync version 14
- On device encryption
- Cisco VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Sybase MDM (Mobile Device Management)
- Cisco WebEx mobile conference solution for meetings on the go