Droid Prime and Nexus Prime Both Get Closer to Launch

We’re still unsure exactly what the Samsung Droid Prime and Nexus Prime are all about but it appears both of them are getting closer to release as Droid-Life is reporting that the Droid Prime received its Wi-Fi certification a short time ago and the Nexus Prime, not to be outdone, got its Bluetooth CIG certification as well. Neither, of course, reveal a specific release date or launch window but they do indicate that things are progressing and we are getting closer and closer to an announcement and release for both.

The Droid Prime is rumored to be one of two things. A Verizon version of the Nexus Prime or a souped up Galaxy S II for Verizon. Either way, we think Verizon has a winner on its hands with this device, rumored to be the first to arrive with Android Ice Cream Sandwich on board.

Droid Prime

As for the Nexus Prime, it’ll likely be a Samsung-made, Ice Cream Sandwich rocking, HD display toting beast. Will it be the same phone as the Droid Prime? Maybe, maybe not.But if the FCC decides that every thing here is good to go, then we’ll probably find out pretty soon, won’t we?

Nexus Prime

Remember, the rumored release date for the Droid Prime is October, the same month as the rumored iPhone 5 launch.

So, as these get closer to reality, are you holding off on buying a Droid Bionic? Or have these captured the attention of your eyes and wallet?

Comments

1. Kevin says

If the Bionic weren’t $300 I’d be more inclined to pull the trigger there.  But I’ll save my $300 for something fresh and wait for the Prime.

• Raven says

Prime is 750-950 i got my bionic for 160. Rooted it, removed bloatware installed the Unl3ash3d ROM V1.7 with speaker and eventually overclock tweaks and it will be as good if not better than the prime. Thats just too much for a phone! You are paying for the 720p screen, thats tv price. Im sorry but i need more than just a screen to get rid of my bionic, im disappointed. They can keep it!

2. Jerry Harris says

Definitely waiting for the Prime…with its faster processor, better screen, and (rumored) vast amount of on-board memory as well as a microSD card slot, the Bionic is already positively quaint!  I don’t think I’ll even be miffed if (again, as rumored) Samsung puts TouchWiz on the Verizon version (ostensibly the Droid Prime) and not on the versions (ostensibly the Nexus Prime) going to other carriers; I kind of like the TouchWiz on my wife’s Fascinate.  I’ve never used raw Android, though, so I have no real point of comparison…

• G-Off says

I’m a big supporter of “raw” Android. While my Droid 1 is slower than molasses now, I at least love that I got it before the various manufacturers felt the need to use custom UIs and pre-installed bloatware that can only be removed through rooting the phone.

3. Tony Perez says

I’m waiting for the Prime to be released. I was going to wait until October anyway. I like to give new handsets a few weeks to hear and read the reviews. However, everything I’ve heard about Samsung handsets is positive except for the build quality. I hope the Prime is a solid build like most Motorola handsets and its screen doesn’t have the bluish tinge I see on many Samsung phones. Many people just go with it but I became spoiled by my Moto Droid 1. It’s the only handset I’ve owned that survived 21 months of daily use without the need to use the enhanced warranty. I’m not shy about spending $300 for a handset but it should be the latest tech at the time of purchase. Considering how long I waited for the Bionic, I’m willing to wait a month to see what Samsung releases in the Prime. Who knows? I may even purchase a Prime on its first day of release!

• anon says

That “blue tinge” is the result of a really high color temp, which may or may not be appropriate for your intended environment and application.  It probably isn’t, though. What we really need is display calibration and color management capability on these devices.

4. Anonymous says

I’ll be waiting till December or January now.   One or more of these super phones is going to tank in price.

That may well be mine.

5. Anonymous says

Definitely going with the Droid Prime. Hope it’s pure enough to get rapid system updates.

6. brandon holley says

The way I’ve been reading it seems that both primes will be with vanilla ICS on board. Well that is unless verizon wants to bloat it up. Hopefully not though. If anything I see a bogo with the Droid bionic and Droid Prime come the holiday season.

7. Anonymous says

For me, its either the DROID Prime or the HTC Vigor. It all depends on the actual specs. The rumours are pretty much exactly the same, and the release is supposed to be around the same time. Should be fun to get a new kick ass phone next month…

• Trob6969 says

HTC vigor for me. I don’t trust Samsung after they screwed me over with the HD TV I bought from them! It clearly has a design flaw but they STILL refuse to fix the thing without me paying for the repair! They can keep ALL their faulty products away from me!

8. Anonymous says

I’m so sick of Verizon having to piss all over Android.  They probably went to tiered data just so they could afford to pay George Lucas royalties.  Who gives a whohadiddlydamn?

But then again, the sheep are hungry, and they’ll gobble up anything crammed in their faces loudly and colorfully enough.

9. Arltxishm says

Hell yeah waiting for the Prime!! Was holding out for the Bionic but Motoscrola screwed themselves dicking the dog !!

10. Anonymous says

Is this going to be another long, anticipating wait then end with full of frustration like the rumored Verizon Galaxy S2 (Function)? I don’t think Verizon will ever have the best phone out there. This Droid Prime might probably another watered-down version of the Droid Bionic – may be they’ll throw in a physical keyboard to make it up?

11. Rcucchiara28 says

Gievn specs the bionic is very tempting though I have a DX and dont want something that will looking the same in design. If motorola would have introduced the bionic months ago I would have jumped on it like maximillion. I love motorola the build its solid sbfing is great.lol though I will not settle for out dated technology. Who knows if the prime is not all that its hyped to be the bionic will surely be lower in price.

12. Brooklynchildxbc says

If the prime is a raw google device and the battery is good I’ll go for that if not then the bionic I had a g1 and been waiting for a nexus type device on verizon

13. Ravenlyn6996 says

According to another article the Droid Prime will not be released until November 3rd. They see it as a way to give the iPhone some room before they release the Prime. I’m not too happy about waiting till November, better phone so far yes. But it is taking everything I have not to buy the Bionic. But the Prime is so much better!