Samsung Galaxy Note ICS Update Now Available

The much-anticipated Samsung Galaxy Note ICS update that we told you about yesterday, finally showed up today for many AT&T users.

I tried to update via the built-in over the air mechanism in Android, but that didn’t show an update. Users can test this on their Note by tapping the menu button from the home screen and then choose Settings and then Software Update.

If that doesn’t bring the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update to the Galaxy Note, users can manually update to the Ice Cream Sandwich OS and the latest Samsung Galaxy Note apps.

I downloaded the update by installing the Samsung Kies program, that interfaces with Samsung Android phones, and got the update from that application. It installs the update on the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Update Samsung Galaxy Note to ICS via Kies

The Samsung Kies program also lets users sync information to and from the phone, like contacts, pictures, videos and other files. Download the versions for both Mac and Windows at the above link.

After connecting the Note to the computer the Kies program will poll the phone to see if it needs the Samsung Galaxy Note ICS update. It will offer to download the update and when it finishes it will install it on the phone. The phone will restart once the download finishes. Do not disconnect it from the computer or turn either the computer or the phone off during the update process. After it applies the download the phone will restart again and install the new software.

samsung galaxy note ics update

Before Note owners run the update, I recommend they back up files and any apps they don’t want to download again, if things go badly and users have to restore their phones to factory default specs. That’s unlikely, but it does happen.

The whole update process only took about 30 minutes and installs Android ICS 4.0 as well as a collection of new apps optimized for the Samsung Galaxy Note. See the demo video below to learn more about these new apps.

If you have the update on your Note, what do you think? Post some comments below. I’ll share my impressions later.

my samsung galaxy note has ICS

Comments

1. Vernon says

I downloaded Kies and connected just like you did and I still can’t get it to give me a firmware update? Any suggestions??

2. Tom Bott says

Updated the phone 07/09/2012 5:15 pm CST
    Through KIES / Win 7
    No Problems
    Note Running ICS 4.04
    Its fast. No more lag. Its like a new phone.
    Nice AT&T & Samsung
    Thank you!

3. Ahmed says

Yep, I tried to download ICS via kies and I downloaded an older version of Kies that worked on my win 8 but it won’t let me update the firmware unless I updated kies to the latest version and when I did it wouldn’t even start and I figured it was because win 8 compatability issues so I really don’t know what to do now, it just sucks.

4. Robert says

wow. i followed all the directions. it’s been over an hour now and my phone is still not backing up and at 0%
    I called ATT and they only transferred me to Samsung.

Should I even back up all the pictures or whatever I have on my phone before I update?

5. Argent009 says

Hell, I can’t even download Kies, the download says it’s going to take several hours and I’m on a 4Gb internet connection, that’s absurd. I tried downloading Kies from a different source (C|Net) but the darned thing wouldn’t install, it just froze. This has me concerned that if they can’t figure out how to let their users get the darned upgrade properly that the upgrade itself is likely to brick my darned phone.

Ya know, Gingerbread isn’t so bad after all. yeesh!

• Papadeux says

Thank you for this, Samsung has really disappointed me today with this whole update issue, its taking about 5 hours to download Kies from their site, the mirror site took 1 minute.

• Ryan says

I don’t know why, every single person who has a Galaxy Note through ATT is probably trying to download Kies from them right now so the speeds are naturally going to be slow.

6. eddy says

Round 1:
    Well I tried on my work computer (XP OS) and installed Kies, did the Kies upgrade, STILL SAYS no update found…

Round 2:
    Went home whole process again (Win 7), Kies won’t even upgrade itself and of course, no Update found.

What a complete disappointment by Samsung/ATT… Makes me want to reconsider the next phone to just be straight from Google.

7. Lisa says

I have successfully updated my Note to the ICS 4.0 through Kies. Actually it was a breeze! However, my phone is soooooo slow!! It is driving me nuts having to wait this long (3-4 seconds) for it to respond for any little thing I wanna do (going home from messages, opening email, etc.) I didn’t have any issues installing but again, my phone is severely lagging now. I tried chatting with samsung about the issue, but of course I had to call at the end and after 23 minutes of holding, I hung up. Sooo is anyone else having this issue? Or had this issue and fixed it somehow? Please let me know! Thanks a bunch!!
    -Lisa

• Brett says

I had severe problems with the upgrade…lagging..error with Facebook..could only receive calls..could get emails but could not read them..could not text message…battery drained in about an hour..nightmare. Took it to the AT&T store, they did a factory reboot. It rebooted to ICS and now it works. But I need to restore the back up to get everything back.

8. Paul Rizzo says

Samsung Kies says that my device (AT&T SGH-1717)”does not support software upgrading via Kies.”

WTF? Anyone else get this message under “Basic Information > Firmware Information”??? Using the latest Kies software and Windows 7. I am very disappointed….

9. Christian Kaczmarczyk says

Is anyone’s note not being able to boot after downloading update? When i did mine the screen went to android is upgrading…. starting applications. From there it would try to start but would not do anything. I decided to shut off phone and now it won’t reboot. Any solutions?

10. neal says

You must first download Kies 2.0, let it update itself then connect your device, after which it should update to ICS.

11. tia143104 says

I have downloaded Kies and it advises me that an upgrade is available after I attempt to do the upgrade it comes back up and says the exact same thing. I uninstalled it and still having the exact same issue… I need help

12. W1ReDuP says

OK So I have the latest greatest Kies, put in the phone, it recognizes and begins, but once it gets to the “downloading to phone” phase, after the phone reboots into download mode and Kies is done unpacking the image, it says “my computer doesn’t recognize the device” in Kies and I have to retry. Remove battery from phone and USB cable, reboot phone, try again.

I’ve tried:
    -All 5 USB Ports
    -Turning on Debugging (for fun)
    -Uninstalling Kies and Reinstalling (I had Kies Mini before, uninstalled that)
    -Utilizing the built-in “connection tool” which basically just reinstalled my drivers yet another time

I’m running Win 7 32-bit (I even tried running Kies in compatibility mode as Win XP SP3 because I heard that it works in XP).

Any help is much appreciated!

W1ReDuP

13. mookie says

im free today and willing to help u im running windows 7 with kies 2.3.. version with att samsung galaxy note i can get faster response with email [email protected] comes directly to my phone i feel the fustraction cause it took me forever the directions they give me online was right but not in right order

14. shahreen AlHaj says

Brunei no update yet. Tried OTA n Kies. Stil no update. Pls help. Increasing not users here in Brunei.

15. Tom says

In Kies 2.3.2 I get all the way up to “New firmware is available”. Whe I click to begin the update, it says “To continue with the upgrade, disconnect all devices except the target device (SGH I717) from the computer, then press OK button.” The only device I have connected is the Galaxy Note, but it just keeps coming back with the same message over and over. There seems to be a lot of very different problems using Kies, but has anyone else seen this exact one?

16. Ronald says

I got the update notification….the problem is here- i use Wi-Fi thetring to browse internet in my laptop.Can i upgrade my phone this way or do i have to us a internet modem? pls reply soon…

17. Mahdi says

mine is running ICS now, few issues with it tough everyone should know.
    1. phone is much warmer than before.
    2. navigation screen jumps up and down like very old tv.
    3. navigation keeps changing the voice to male and female for no reason.

18. charlowery says

i am downloading the firm ware now. did any one elses’ take an hour just for that part???

19. Segun says

I got the notification but the thing gets to 27% sometimes 30% and says it has an error rolls back. Still stuck on Gingerbread.

20. Naive says

Hi, I use the galaxy note shv-e160k Korean version, when connect to kie . Sometome It complained that cannot connect eventhough undr the downlad mode and some time it say this model do not have update. Please help. What should I do?

Rgds ,

21. Paula S. Intaramunee says

I can’t upload to Facebook from my Galaxy Note lately. It was able to do so, but for the part 1 month it seem to be unable and I have updated my phone all the time, upgraded firmware and w/e its prompt and required. anyone know why?

22. jgmachen says

I updated my Note phone to ICS, overall-great!! It ran slow at first until i uninstalled old apps that were meant to run under gingerbread. once i uninstalled older apps such as facebook, etc… and reinstalled the apps for ICS, it runs like a champ!!!

23. charlesarthur87 says

I just got my note this month how do i do this upgrade. I use my phone for work so i can’t have it go all crazy on me.

24. Martin Chibanda says

This is absurd, been on the download of my note since 9 am, now 3pm. Took 3 hours to get to 50% download, then timed out. Restarted, another 2 hours to 25%, same thing happens! Guess am stuck on this”stale” bread. Anyone with suggestions? Please help.