Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Roll Out Resumes

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich update, which was halted by Sprint shortly after its roll out began, has apparently started rolling out once again today.

According to Android Central, owners of the Epic 4G Touch, Sprint’s version of the Galaxy S II, have begun to see the Ice Cream Sandwich update roll out once again from Sprint.

The update, which started rolling out on July 12th, was stopped because of issues. However, it appears that Sprint has ironed those out and the update is rolling out once more.

Those who are lucky enough to receive the update today will be will be prompted to download and install the Ice Cream Sandwich update, a process that should take some time considering how big the update is.

The Sprint Epic 4G Touch ICS update has resumed.

Sprint has already detailed what is coming along with the update and here is what Epic 4G Touch owners, who haven’t yet received the update, can look forward to from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich:

• A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
  • Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
  • Redesigned camera which introduces panorama mode, effects like silly faces and background replacement, and a powerful photo editor
  • Android Beam: quickly share web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube videos with your friends by simply tapping two Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled phones together
  • Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout and even store web pages for offline reading
  • People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
  • Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
  • New Calendar app that lets you add events quickly, sync with Google Calendar or Microsoft Exchange and even pinch to adjust your calendar display
  • Redesigned Gmail app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly, and search for emails even without a data connection
  • Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera

It’s unclear how long this new roll out will take, the original was supposed to take eight days to roll out, so it could be a matter of days before some Epic 4G Touch owners see the software arrive.

Anyone seeing the software and if so, is it still bugged?

Comments

1. Nathan says

My wife and I bought our phones at the same time from the same place. Her’s got ICS this morning and I’m STILL waiting. How can this be?

• Pdub says

Im in the same boat im salty as hell lol but ive done some research its just random if you get it right now so there the lucky ones wr should be getting Ares any day now …..im sick of the wait htfu sprint

• Eric says

Really? I never comment on these things but my God this is down right ridiculous!!! For those of u whining about not having ICS yet should be dam Thankful because this garbage has almost had my new phone thru the wall on many occasions. Sprint disappoints me. More n. More

• john says

i was just reading comments so i turned off my phone then turned it on and turned on my wifi then went to about phone and hit update firmware and ics started downloading

• Remo J says

are you sure? I got home one day from work about a week ago and I looked on my phone, I had this notification, in big letter in the middle part of my phone. I just thought the notification would be small. ICS baby! Gingerbread and I had been dating since December 2011. I wont miss her much.

• Renata says

Don’t feel bad. My phone and my husband’s phone were ordered together, shipped together, and literally turned on at the same time a year ago. He received his update two weeks ago. Me… I suppose I’ll get a prompt one day before the end of 2012.

2. Nestor says

Root your phone and flash ICS like everyone else if you don’t want to wait. Rooting your phone unlocks the full power of this device.

3. Brian says

Got the update tonight(8/01/12) in Tulsa OK. Works well and much faster. There may be a battery issue, but pretty happy so far.

• Remo J says

You can turn off ‘accounts and sync’, and a well probably try doing other stuff to save battery on the phone. I like this new feature, I think it is new on the Epic 4G Touch, go to “settings>DATA USAGE>Mobile data, anyways Turn Off ‘Mobile data’ to save battery. I’m still trying to figure out if my battery life is better with ICS, but the wierd thing is I get some bad battery drains on my phone even BEFORE I got Android 4.0. But I heard Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich should improve battery life :) You should all get Google Chrome at the Play Store, its available now if you have Android 4.0.

• Remo J says

In the ‘Settings’, ‘Developer options’, there is a neat option which is “Limit background processes”, click on that. Usually I think your phone is doing lots of things at once..
      Actually I just thought of something. I think that feature helps more when you are not using your phone, say like when you are not power surfing the web etc(surfing, email, text, ect). Because I have noticed when I have changed it to say “4 processes at most”, after using my phone alot the setting always moves back to “Standard limit” by itself. Anywho, check that setting out. :)

• Remo J says

but that New feature should definitely kick butt. Because normally you have tons of things going on on your phone I would imagine even when not in use, alot more than “4 processes at most”, but the choice on where to set things in that feature should help. again if you set it for say “2 processes at most” running in the background, yet you are multitasking big time on your phone, your phone will automatically switch the setting to “Standard limit” to simply keep up.

• Remo J says

Tap and Hold your Home button. Cool feature, swipe away the websites or apps you have visited. Even when my “Active applications” widgets says Zero, all applications closed, doing that tap and hold on the home button, i still have to erase/close those websites and apps completely. I’ve seen this feature done on ICS done by Sliding down the Notification bar, and seeing all of your visited places, and than people swipe away and close them. On mine I have to Tap and hold the home button. Anywho, I think this helps battery.

4. Ben says

I received the update around 2:30pm on the 31st of July. So far the only issues I see would be the blurry contact photo once the contact is open, and a possible battery issue. It seems to drain faster. I am yet checking my sets to see what all changed. Other than these two things, I am pleased with the update. FYI: it kills FoxFi still

5. Jai says

I got mine at 8am yesterday, it’s fine, the only issue is I can’t read any of my emails…that’s a HUGE problem for me, I hope they fix it asap!

• Ben says

I use K-9 Mail App, and I have no problems reading my emails. Perhaps this maybe a good solution for you as well. Just a suggestion.

6. Nitra says

Today is the 1st of August and still no update to my Epic Touch 4g. I called Sprint again the techs are saying to take it to the store, smh…

7. Ben says

I actually powered my device off and removed the battery. Once I put the device back together, the update showed up. Could be happenstance but that is what happened.

8. chris garza says

http://community.sprint.com/ba… This should help you all out, Please pull the battery out for 5 mins and then hold the volume up + power button until you come to a screen you are unfamiliar with and select clear system partion cache. This should resolve your issues if you downloaded the new ics update that was released yesterday for our epic 4g touch.

Also to all users who have not received the new update notification for the ICS*fix that was released on 7/31/12 you should pull the battery out of your device and you should see the notification for the new ICS.

9. SHAFTNYC says

Got the update tonight.but after reading all the comts I won’t update my gs2.I’m going to wait to see how ppl like the update.don’t want to f**k up my phone.does the screen capture still work on the new update?

• Remo J says

It does!! BUT very important, I noticed on my phone it takes about a second longer to take the screen capture. Its noticiable. At first I thought it didnt work anymore, but everyone, just Tap and hold the Home screen button and Power button a second longer and you should see it and hear it work.

10. David L says

how come i still don’t have the update? am i doing something wrong? someone please help!

11. Anna says

I still do not have the update either. My husband and I have the same exact phone, he got his update 3 weeks ago! I just don’t understand…

12. CC says

I got the update notice about 5 days ago. I don’t want to do the update on my one phone because I did the update on my other phone and it messed it up big time! The update notification on the phone I haven’t updated yet pops up every couple minutes. It’s annoying because it pops up when I’m doing stuff and I almost have hit install. Does anyone know how to stop the update notification from popping up? It only gives the option to install now, install later, or learn more about the update. Thank you for any help.

13. Ahmad says

U dont want it right now. It drains the hell out of your battery. A patch to fix it won’ arrive until 09/2012.

14. Nathan says

I manually flashed the official update from sprint to my phone. Overall performance has increased. Battery performance has decreased by an estimated 10%. It is very important to completely format all of your storage. ICS data butts heads with GB on many crucial apps and processes. Clearing this data is essential to proper performance.
    My GPS responds quicker and is more accurate on ICS. Voice commands respond quicker. Transitions between 3G, 4G, and WiFi occur smoother. I think they included some updated modem software with this release. All of the radios seem to run better for me.

• Remo J says

good point. i tried the antu tu benchmarks the a couple days ago..and the first time, WOW, my phone scored so low. Undeterred I tried it again and I started getting very high scores, especially compared to the, not just other phones but compared with I guess the ‘Average’ score the Epic 4G Touch should get, and I was starting to score alil bit higher than what that Bar Chart was showing. And it was just that first time that it scored so low lol. Like 4000, I dont remember exactly but it was low, but ever since than benchmarks on Antu tu are pretty damn boss. Of course benchmarks are benchmarks, take it with a grain of salt.

• Remo J says

it seems to load pages faster, maybe thats Chrome also. typing the second letter in the URL bar..eek, like a split second slower but what happens is it pretty much it misses the entire letter of what you are typing in the address bar. it takes a second for it to catch up. Still, I cant knock ICS and Sprint nor my Epic 4G Touch. I am being patient haha. Sure I went to the Sprint store a few days ago thinking something is probably wrong with my phone daddada(Its a long story)..but yeah, I will give it some time

15. Greg says

I already got the update and several apps had to be re-installed. Is there a way to get the fixed update??

16. SeritaYvonne says

I wish I never would’ve updated! I wad on my phone this morning for 10 minutes, and it drained my battery by 20%!!! I’m really not happy. It also takes twice the time to charge, if it’ll even allow my phone to charge. And no, it’s not the charger, I’ve tried diff ones. And don’t think about trying to use your phone when it’s plugged in. It really won’t charge! I just want my old phone back. Once the bugs are fixed I’m sure it’ll be fine, until then I’m just going to have to try extra hard to not smash it! Another thing, when it is charging it gets very hot. I’d like to see one person comment that they love their new update. F that. I’m pissed!!

• SeritaYvonne says

The one thing I really like about it, is the new settings while browsing internet. Saving page for offline reading really comes in handy!

• Remo J says

I feel your pain.
      I dont know if resetting your phone back to factory settings will help. i’ve done that before even before this update, the only thing is losing Contact information(unless you write down phone numbers), losing apps I have purchased(I dont know how to save’em). Anywho, if you do reset back to factory settings you should still have the newest software on your phone, Android 4.0, which is a good thing. I resetted it after the update just because some “Go Launcher” app was driving me crazy and scaring me..but yeah.

17. Greg says

I did a factory reset and also cache format. No improvements, so I’m still looking for solutions. I formatted the cache 3 times now. I really want to avoid doing another factory reset.

18. Justin says

I do like a majority of the new features with the ice cream sandwich update however there are a few glitches that need some attention for instance the horrible battery life and for some reason I am getting a weaker signal airgo more dropped calls the internet seems to be a little bit slower to I am hoping that samsung will get their act together and create a more proficient operating system. Oh and 1 more thing my phone seems to overheat when doing the simplest of tasks such as scrolling through my contact list please hurry up and make a nother update to fix these problems they are a major issue and I would hate to leave sprint due to a Samsung

19. Juan Sevilla says

Can sprint please make the notification bar look see through on jelly bean becouse they failed on that in ics they should’ve made it look like the 4.0 on the other moddles those looked lagit. *sigh* if .only