Apple Launches iPhone Trade In Program With Competitive Prices
As we lead up to the expected iPhone 5 release date, Apple kicks off a new program aimed at buying users’ old iPhones, iPads and other electronic gear in exchange for an Apple gift card.
The Apple Recycling program is a new venture in part with PowerOn, that pays up to $345 for an old iPhone.
The prices vary based on the model and condition, but are in line with the iPhone trade in prices we see on Gazelle, Nextworth and other gadget recyclers.
Unlike Gazelle and Nextworth, users that choose to sell their old iPhone or iPad to Apple will need to settle for an Apple gift card instead of cash. Though it’s safe to assume most of the old iPhones for sale right now are leaving home so the owner can upgrade to the iPhone 5 on release day.
Apple’s trade in program accepts many different products, but here are the basic iPhone trade in prices as of August 30.
- iPhone 3GS 16GB – $95 in perfect condition, $25 with cracks.
- iPhone 3GS 32GB - $105 in perfect condition, $25 with cracks.
- iPhone 4 8GB - $155 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
- iPhone 4 16GB - $170 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
- iPhone 4 32GB - $185 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
- iPhone 4S 16GB - $285 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
- iPhone 4S 32GB - $330 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
- iPhone 4S 64GB – $345 in perfect condition, $50 with cracks.
The iPhone trade in prices offer users looking to upgrade to an iPhone 5 an affordable way to do so. Even iPhone 4S owners who plan to buy an iPhone 5 at full retail price will only pay a few dollars more than users on a contract.
Apple doesn’t offer a specific timeline for sending in gadgets, or for sending out the gift card. Users who want to use the gift card to preorder the iPhone 5 may need to do without their iPhone for a few weeks.
Users who will find another use for the iPhone can lock in a price today and send the iPhone in at a later date. Used iPhone prices will likely drop dramatically next week, when the iPhone 5 announcement is expected to take place.
In the video above, I explain everything you need to know about trading in a used iPhone for a new iPhone. Right now Gazelle lets users lock in a price and send the phone in by the end of September, ensuring no phone downtime for upgraders.