Droid RAZR & Droid RAZR MAXX ICS Issues Now Two Months Old

In June, Verizon started rolling out the Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates and almost immediately, we began hearing from owners in regards to the issues that the software updates had on board. Well, it’s now been a full two months and Verizon has yet to issue a bug fix update to fix the issues.

On June 30th, the last day of Motorola’s self-imposed deadline, Verizon finally rolled out the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX updates to the masses.

Soon after, it became apparent that software was buggy, really buggy, and that Motorola and Verizon may have released the software way too early in an attempt to hit the deadline.

Read: How to Fix Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Issues.

DroidRAZR17-575x306

Droid RAZR & Droid RAZR MAXX owners have been dealing a host of ICS issues since June.

That was two months ago yesterday and neither Motorola nor Verizon have done anything publicly to soothe the minds of the many Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners out there that have been dealing with these issues.

Thus far, we’ve heard from many, many owners of these devices who are up to their ears and eyeballs with bugs.

Some examples from the bug list include:

- Abnormal battery drain

- Inaccessible email

- Sluggish user interface

- Slow reactions to swipes/gestures

- Screen rotate is finicky

- Various browser issues

Those may not seem like much but for many, they have made the phones virtually unusable. We’ve heard from several owners who say that they have contemplated returning these devices, even though they really enjoy them.

It has gotten that bad it seems.

Now, we have heard that Verizon is working on a bug fix for Ice Cream Sandwich which it will likely release before the presumed update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Motorola hasn’t announced Jelly Bean for the Droid RAZR or Droid RAZR MAXX yet but we assume, right now, that both devices will get the upgrade.

We’ve also heard that the update was slated to be rolled out in September. So, we have our fingers crossed that something will emerge in the next few days for Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners, owners that deserve much better support than what they’re getting right now.

Keep in mind, it took Verizon five months to update the Galaxy Nexus with a bug fix update so it’s possible that we could see the wait extend much further than this weekend.

Comments

1. giovanni says

u wer talkin about bugs and here in puerto rico we still dont have the update -_- im very disappointed wit motorola

2. Nostromo says

Buy the next RAZR WonderPhone and your troubles will go away.
    Seriously, these continuing issues demonstrate the bush league administration behind the tech-sheen and glitz of the ad copy. I am finished with MotoRizon for the time being.
    Yes, my e-mail’s dodgy, the rotation lag is frustrating and the behavior in the bedside dock is sporadically temperamental.

3. Joey says

I know it’s not what you may want to do but try the .215 leak (available on nearly every forum with complete easy to follow instructions) and all your problems may be solved.

• Nostromo says

Thanks for the tip, Joey. I may give it a whirl if nothing official’s disseminated by November. I have, still, my Bionic that could be reactivated if circumstances dictated. I just do not care for Motorola’s and Verizon’s casual apathy toward ‘buggy’ products they’re fielded. Thank you once more.

4. TM says

Wow. I have a Razr, 2 Razr Maxx’s, and ZERO BUGS. I am amazed at the whinning about this bug fix, especially when I see no need for it.

5. Ray says

This is HORRIBLE!!! For those that don’t have the problems, count yourself lucky. It takes 30 seconds (NO LIE) for make an outgoing call. If I close an app, it can take up to 45 seconds for my screen to return. ANYONE who doesn’t find that to be a huge issue are settling for second rate crap. It should not operate this poorly. I love Android, but I may have to get an I-phone UGH!!! If something is wrong with the Iphone, Apple releases a fix. For Android, we must wait 6 months for updates on certain models and then wait for months for them to fix the update. Where is the Android support? My friend goes into the Apple store if he has any problems and solved. We just sit and wait without any updates or timeline and no one willing to answer questions or complaints. I have tried EVERY fix out there and nothing works. It used to have a wonderful battery life, but now I am at 30% at lunch. Before, I would be at 70% before I go to bed. What happened?

• Kevin says

Did you try the complete cache dump. This really improved my performance. You can find the instructions on line. Hope it helps.

• Ray says

Kevin, thanks it actually makes my phone useable again. When everyone said to clear my cache, I had an app that “supposedly” clears my cache, but after following the steps on the site, my performance has improved. Saved me from a complete meltdown. No help from Verizon or Motorola, but it’s nice to know the techies on the sites can provide assistance.

6. wajud says

For all the talk of ‘fragmentation’, how many apps really need the additional abilities of ICS? How many apps need more than the level that Froyo\Gingerbread has? At that API level and above you cover 75-95% of all android users. Sure, not all users are up to the latest OS. But if the effect is nil for most end users (they can still run almost all apps) its not the big problem some make it out to be.

7. Rob says

I had a Razr Maxx and it was buggy after ICS. I ended up switching to a Droid 4 and its working better. Verizon told me that there was a bug update coming out in August or September. The Droid 4 with ICS is a really good phone now, other than the screen.

8. Kordesha says

To all those complaining: Did you actually do the factory reset after upgrading to ICS like Verizon recommended?
    I have had only two problems with my Razr Maxx: The data service randomly dropping off during usage (had this problem before ICS) and then recently (started last month) the touch screen goes crazy selecting things at random for about 20 seconds or so before going back to normal. Hoping the bug fix will fix both problems.

9. Alexis says

my system version is stil 651.73.250.XT910.AmericaMovil.en.01 i still dont get the ICS >.> Motorola told me they will release it on thirth quarter of the year but i dont know if is dat truth

10. mark says

The only problem with mine is connecting to gps for navigation, it will just sit there and say computing, but never connect. If i goto FB and checkin, then go back to navigation it works sometimes. Anyone else have this problem?

• Randy says

Lots of issues with GPS as well. I cannot unlock the front screen and take a picture without the camera erroring out.

11. Richard_FL says

I installed ICS on my Razr Maxx and it crashed and was unuseable……..a brick. Took it back and got a new phone and have not updated (and won’t) until the fix has been out and tested for a while.

In the meantime I have to continully postpone the automatic update notification Verizon has sent to prevent having to go through this whole unnecessary nonsense again.

VERIZON you need to wake up and provide service to your clientele, the market may not always be as forgiving to you as it is now and someday you may need to actually care about your customers and not only emphasize the drive for NEW BUSINESS at the expense of you EXISTING BUSINESS!!

• Rob says

I used ICS on a Droid Maxx and it was pretty good. I eventually switched to a Droid 4 because I needed a physical keyboard. ICS works great on my D4. I recommend that you consider trying it. Its a viable and competent update overall.

12. TM says

1st, clear the system cache.
    If that doesn’t help:
    factory reset.

I’ve read that most problems are remedied by clearing the cache. I think that may be why I have no issues with any of my 3 Razr’s.

I cleared the cache immediately BEFORE the ICS update on both of my Razr Maxx’s, and on my wifes Razr, I updated to ICS immediately AFTER activation.

• pathetic says

Oh fucking please, have you tried their maps? Please take a look at that and complain at Android. Wait a minute, this isnt androids fault, its motorola for customizing it with bloatwares… please correct if me im wrong?
      gtfo, go get urself an iphone, u uneducated bastered.

13. moose says

Take off any antivirus battery savers or task killers they rob performance and when I had them I had bugs when I deleted them no bugs …..hhhhmmmmmm just try it

14. faith says

i posted earlier, then went back and read many other horrible stories. I remembered a few other problems with my droid razr max that i’ve had since very beginning, while reading others’ stories. the battery seems to be dead before i know it. any times the swipe to make pic bigger/smaller wider, etc., doesn’t work. the screen won’t switch. there is no sound with a video….lol there is no VIDEO! AND I HAVE DONE A FACTORY RESET. lets see, i think i’ll call and find out how many times ive been on phone with a tier 2 support personl…last tijme it was 1 1/2 hrs. phone still sucks, sucks, sucks

15. Bob says

Bought the Razr Maxx for my wife on the Oct 11. Returned it for a new phone on Oct 14. On Oct 18 we will be returning the phone to Verizon. Maybe get an S3.