HTC Desire S Ice Cream Sandwich Update Now Available

HTC promised to roll out the HTC Desire S Ice Cream Sandwich update to its website soon and it looks like the manufacturer made good on its promise today as the HTC Desire S Ice Cream Sandwich update is now available.

The software is currently available on HTC’s HTCDev.com (Select other, and then find files) website, something that HTC promised that it would do yesterday, and it can be downloaded by HTC Desire S owners right now.

HTC’s Desire S ICS RUU is a whopping 404.0 MB in size which means that owners are going to have to use some patience when downloading and installing the ROM.

Read: 4 Reasons Why the HTC ThunderBolt ICS Update Could Be Late.

handphone

HTC has released the HTC Desire S ICS update.

As promised, HTC has given HTC Desire S owners a choice as the software will only be available for a manual installation which means owners will have the option to stay on Android 2.3 Gingerbread if they wish.

Those that wish to make the upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich though now have the ability to.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is a vast improvement over Android 2.3 Gingerbread, at least from a features standpoint. We don’t know yet how well it runs on the HTC Desire S.

ICS brings a new user interface to the table, a new and improved Browser, Face Unlock, and a whole lot more. It’s not Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, but it’s certainly a great piece of software.

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 9.27.21 AM

So now the attention turns to two Verizon-based devices, the Droid Incredible 2 and the HTC ThunderBolt, both of which were promised ICS by the end of August.

Thus far, HTC remains mum about the Ice Cream Sandwich release dates for both devices leaving owners wondering whether or not the company will live up to its promise.

Read: HTC Dodges ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich Update Questions.

We should know for sure in less than 24 hours.

HTC Desire S owners though can now enjoy their upgrade to Android 4.0. Be sure to let us know how the upgrade works out.

Comments

1. Michael says

using the ICS for the last 30 minutes and the first thing noticed is a slight lag. However that is forgiven. What bugs me right now is that the swiftkey keyboard is extremely unresponsive to the extent it is difficult to tap in every letter.

• Michael says

First, visit http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads

Second, Filter the results in Device by selecting Desire S. The first file to show on the filtered results would be 404 mb RUU file. Download this file.

Third, Extract the downloaded .exe file and run it. Follow the instructions that appear once you run the file and read the ‘Read me’.

MOST IMPORTANTLY DON’T FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR MESSAGES, CONTACTS AND CALENDAR AS ALL YOUR DATA AND APPS WILL BE REMOVED (sd card will be preserved).

• Antony Dick says

Thank you so much guys… You guys rock :) I had my Desire S updated to ICS last night and it works like a charm. At first the setup blew me off but then I had to restart the phone and then do the same process again and the setup was easy and quick.

• cliff says

hi i did exactly what you said as well as the instructions and iam getting a error 171 usb connection error everytime
          please help me

• kristine chavez says

hi. im front the philippines, and im bothered if i will use the files for europe/asia. my phone might not work anymore or may change language. help please. if the files wont affect the signal or language in my phone, i will use it. thank you.

• Muhammad Rehan Hussain says

Now is the best chance to install APEX launcher on your ics…I did it after a day or two of experiencing the HTC Sense 3.6…And well…the difference is like both of them are world’s apart…APEX launcher is the best..it gives you the real experience of ICS…and yes HTC Sense is a bit laggy…and unresponsive sometimes…Trust me..,APEX in the best…but please buy the pro version…

• Hemant says

My Swiftkey is working as on 2.3 after the upgrade to 4.0.4. In fact, it also has all my old language data… !

• Muhammad Rehan Hussain says

Goto HTCdev.com and then goto Kernel Source code and after filtering for Desire S…download the WWE region v4.0 RUU update (404 MB) and then connect your phone to your pc (In Charge Only mode) and please backup your data and apps if any from your phone (Use ASTRO File manager to do so). The setup wont interfere with the data in your SD card so no need to backup your SD card…Also make a backup of your contacts..Now start the setup (from the downloaded archive)..Follow on-screen instructions…you are done…!!!

2. Chris Welton says

You guys are amazing. You talk as if HTC has bestowed some God-almighty favor on the Desire S users just by ‘releasing’ an RUU when it should have been an OTA after THEY worked the bugs out, not the users. Piss-poor HTC service as usual

3. rich says

I may be being dense as new to smartphone malarky but what is ruu and ota. And how do i update this manually?

4. ubaid says

HTC promised that we will release an OTA update instead of any RUU update, Its time to change mobile phone go for Samsung or sony rising companys and a lot care for their customers. we should throw out this type of company.

• aziz ansari says

its true ubaid,I m also very tired after update to ics 4.in this version is a very big problem of weak network signal and screen light automaticly on/off.then I called to htc but no slovtion any more.I think htc will go out.not responcing to there cutomer.

• ubaid says

Unfortunately HTC cancelled the ICS 4.0.4 update for the HTC desire s through OTA, HTC really does not care about their customers, recently HTC himself promised that Their will be an OTA update of ICS 4.0.4 for desire s at the end of August but they did not do. Releasing the RUU update really shamefull, HTC is doing the same mistake which nokia did their customers, and you can see nokia’s position today.

5. Alex (@twoayem) says

Not managed to complete the RUU update with an Orange branded Desire S, just stalls sending the updated to the phone. Will try it with an unbranded one later on.

6. ER Samson says

On my Desire S, ICS runs snappier than Gingerbread, the UI runs smoother. not sure about power consumption yet — but it also seems to have better performance than the previously installed Android OS (at least from what I remember based from the slope of the battery graphs being shown).

I also was able to restore everything from pre-ICS settings (I only have four other apps installed and Google Play store remembers it), was able to restore all SMS from backup (using the stock messaging backup), all contacts was retrieved from Gmail (I moved all my contacts there), and finally the update didn’t seem to touch the SD card — so all my camera shots were still present.

Also, the haptic feedback returns, it took me a while to remove it and it almost drove me nuts. Any here are the steps since the settings are quite buried deep inside.

** Settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Keyboard & Input methods category -> Touch Input (press the sliders on the right side) -> Text input -> Vibrate when typing checkbox

** Settings -> Sound -> Vibrate feedback checkbox

Note that when doing the upgrade using RUU, make sure to follow the PDF Step-by-Step! I also updated my HTC Sync to the latest one to be sure (3.2.2 for my phone, kept the Adobe Air version that came along with HTC Sync).

• pradeep says

Hi Sarath can u plz tel me how to update..derz a 404mb file..shd i dwnload it to my pc first or directly on the phone..plz help

• sarath says

:Pradeep just download the file to your pc ,install it and follow the steps in the PDF given with exe .that’s it

• pradeep says

ok thnx Sarath but d downlaod is failing again n again aftr abt 200mb it dsnt download..tried 3 times now..

• pradeep says

Its the 4th time now n at exactly 197mb the download stops sayin The download was taking too long and was stopped by the network…wat shd i do?

• amar says

hi sarath i downloaded and i installed but my phone is not working how to got previous vision of 2.3.3 can u mail me….

7. john says

hi thanks for all the advice managed to download files but error message ; the document cannot be opened because it is not a valid pdf document any advice would be greatly appreciated

8. WKO says

Its much better and alot faster now!No lag,no bugs,everything works perfect!Now have even more free ram (~300mb),on 2.3 i had like 150~190.Thank you HTC!

9. Prince says

I updated my HTC Desire S. It has got better performance than the Gingerbread. The looks were awesome.

10. john says

am i being stupid , do i need a computer to download this upgrade, i cannot believe how htc can leave novices like me , one minute excited about an update and then so frustrated. it might have taken months of waiting for this upgrade. but for htcs disrespectful attitude to their customers ,it has taken me a day of frustration to decide to never buy htc again.

• Chris Welton says

Yes John, you have to download the .zip file to a computer or laptop.

Make sure your computer will not hibernate or shutdown for the next while then connect your Desire S to a USB port on the computer.

It’s best to backup the phone and make sure it is charged -up before running the download (by double-clicking it).

There are two files in the archive — the RUU software upgrade file (ending in .exe) and an instruction list (ending in .pdf).

Open the .pdf file to view the instructions (good idea to print it for reference) then double-click the file ending in .exe

Then cross your fingers !

11. ubaid says

I updated my HTC desire s yesterday, I live in Islamabad (Pakistan) the official RUU update from HTC is really amazing, its work very fine no any lag or bug I found, thanks HTC for the official RUU update.

• Hassann says

ubaid can you give me your number.. and plz guide me how to To install ICS on Desire s :( I m having error :(

• ubaid says

Hassann first of all install the RUU update file which is 404.0 mb file from htcdev with the help of mozilla Firefox no use any other browser. when you install it then revert back I will guide u bro.

• waseem says

hi ubaid bhai i am also from islamabad i also have htc desire s, can u tell me plz how can i update my cell to v4.04 and is it working in pakistan or not please reply me on my email i.e ([email protected])

12. srirup goswami says

hi,
    this is Srirup, last week i took the RUU and upgraded my phone…….i should say the previous 2.3.5 was better than 4.0.4……after installing the RUU its was damn slow then a total reset recovered a bit….

few bugs i found:
    1. cant set any static ip wireless
    2. go launcher is reacting very slow in transition etc
    3. swift key x was not properly working until upgraded to 3.0, even the new version is not so responsive
    4. in go task manager the maximum free ram is going up to 220MB(in 2.3.5 it used to go 300MB)
    5. connecting issue as turned the phone router
    6. switching between application is visually good but very slow
    7. fancy animated phone lock dose not work smooth
    8. expected slow motion mode in camera
    9. the same version of go sms is working very slow

Besides these all everythings are fine………over all the phone is working very slow rather than before. Not satisfied. If anybody have any solution please let me know.

mail: [email protected]

13. pradeep says

Hi guys need a help..for the update should the phn be connected to HTC sync or Disk drive mode..In the pdf file whch has come wt the download it just says (Your phone is connected to your PC using a USB cable. The PC must recognize your phone.)

14. michael k says

Don’t know y its called ics ,cause to me its just gingerbread + if I’m honest, no face unlock it doesn’t look anything like ice for desire s on any vids I’ve seen

15. Tony says

Worked well for me and does everything it should. HTC desire s on orange. Great to get rid of the orange apps as well by using the Ruu

• Robert Spencer says

Hi Tony – are you on Orange UK? Deciding whether to do the update myself.. would be great to finally get rid of all Oranges crap. Cheers

• jono w says

It is if you can run HTC sync with virtual box. But i just borrowed a PC for the ease. Download the file on your mac put it on a memory stick along with htc sync if you dont have it on you phone and use a pc for 10 min to update it. its super easy.

16. zupernovae says

If the phone is rooted already, can I use the same methode? (just download the ruu then update via laptop?)

17. Perumal says

My desire S updated works fine except the front camera and the usb connection. Any suggestion pse?

18. panewby says

Have downloaded the update, will wait a few days before i install it i think until there is more feedback. so far comments seem mixed. I’ve been thinking about routing my phone but not sure.

• Chris Welton says

After replying to messages above and seeming to be an ‘expert’ on the RUU procedure I have to report that the update failed to install. Although I’m relieved that my phone is still a virgin and runs OK (whew!) ;)

19. Dhiraj says

Installed it last night (India Time) and it’s working fine for me in New Delhi (India)..however not much difference i can see except for the fact that the screen looks a little compact the same way we change the resolution on our PC’s..phone processing speed, camera, music is all working fine..will update if found anything bad :)

20. JP Rask says

Installation went smooth without any problems. I’m on a Windows XP laptop and use Swedish mobile operator Telia. Previous android on my HTC Desire S was Ginger Bread. No comments yet on performance and experience of ICS, but now it’s time to start using it :-)

21. sher says

I’ve already installed it and it seems to run fine. Better than Gingerbread.
    But, how do I change the size of my widgets and also why is the lockscreen still the same?????

22. Fede says

Has anyone else noticed that when updating to ICS and locking the phone with the upper-button, sometimes, the screen turns on again and you are able to open the slide-menu?

23. Alistair May says

OK, I upgraded per instructions. However, the phone is now saying “No SIM card”.

HELP!

I’m with T-mobile. How do I fix this, alternatively how do I undo the upgrade?

24. joyshinde says

updated ICS on my Desire S, now my fonts are smaller and so are the icons. Otherwise it feels smoother than before. Once problem is with SMS, I am not able to pick up the underlined phone numers from the text. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• a says

HI! I’m from the same country. were you able to upgrade yours? Do you need to run htc synch during the update? Should your phone be in charging or disk drive mode? Do I have to root my phone before updating?

25. Rajiv says

Thankz…. I have been searching it for months and then finally with ur help I got it. It is working great. Though I am disappointed with HTC as they did not deliver what was xpected. Also the GUI is almost the same as the previous version. But @ the end nothing is better than something. HTC could have done better

26. Eugene says

Okay…so with the ICS on my phone, i right away notice the sluggishness n its extremely annoying. Quite a few good features, but i still think the upgrade hasn’t done enough to impress.

27. pal206 says

hey, please help me,
    Anyone who istalled this ICS for Desire s can helps me that this WWE RUU is Include the Hungarian language? thankin u in advance.

• szabczy says

The ICS upgrade for Desire S does not contain the Hungarian option.
      BUT!
      If you install the application ‘MoreLocale2′ the Desire S will behave as a hungarian phone with all of the correct translations. I’ve tried it already.

28. Hassann says

Cant update having error.. i am from lahore.. please someone give me his number.. And guide me there Plz :(

29. RaresB says

HTC ROM Upgrade Utility
    Installation Instructions:
    1. Hardware Requirements (PC)
    1 GHz or higher processor clock speed recommended
    512 MB of RAM or higher recommended
    Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
    150 MB of available free hard disk space
    USB 2.0 is required
    2. Software Requirements -Supported Operating Systems (PC)
    Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 and 3 (32-Bit)
    Windows Vista Ultimate / Enterprise / Business/ Home Premium/ Home Basic Edition (32 & 64-Bit) Service Pack 1
    Windows 7 Ultimate/ Professional/ Home Premium / Home Basic Edition (32 & 64-Bit)
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010-32 & 64 Bit.
    3. Installation Instructions
    Before you proceed the ROM Update Utility (RUU), please confirm the following items:
    (1) This software upgrade is a newer version than what is currently installed on your phone. If it is the same version and your phone is operating normally, there is no need to reinstall the software.
    To check what version is installed on your phone, press Home > Menu > Settings > About phone >
    Build number, and note the Build number.
    (2)HTC Sync has been installed on your PC.HTC Sync can be found on the Micro SD card that was shipped with your phone. You can also download and install HTC Sync at http://www.htc.com/www/support/
    (3) Your phone is connected to your PC using a USB cable. The PC must recognize your phone.
    (4)Standby and hibernation mode on your PC has been disabled.
    (5)Close all running applications on the PC.
    (6)The Screen unlock pattern has been disabled, press Home > Menu > Settings > Security and uncheck Require pattern
    (7) Make sure that the battery level of the phone is at least 30% (at least 3 green blocks). To check the battery level, tap Home > Menu > Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery level.
    (8) Once the RUU is downloaded, launch the application on your PC and follow the instructions on screen.
    Warning!
    * Please note that this upgrade will erase any data stored on the phone. We recommend that you back up all your data before performing this upgrade.
    * This is a generic software update. Any additional software or settings provided by your mobile operator or company will be lost. If you require this customization, please contact your supplier first before upgrading.
    * The update will take up to 10 minutes, DO NOT interrupt the update process, make/receive phone calls, disconnect the phone from the PC, or press any buttons until the process has been completed.
    * Click View Read me when executing the ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU) to view detailed upgrade procedure, error message information or Q&A.

• Basu says

I have downloaded the RUU file successfully. Will this update work with a Win 8 PC or should I use a PC with Win XP ?

30. Geethal says

Hi. Just update to ICS. First ipression was “THANKS GOD.. NOTHING HAPPENE TO MY PHONE..” And it looks great.. Works fine..

31. Ross says

When I go to run the RUU it warns me about it being a development only update? Do I need to worry about this or is it fine?

Also, has anyone had problems with their SD Card not working afterwards? Someone said it was a good idea to remove it before hand as they had to format it to get it to work again.

Thanks

32. winmarker says

My carrier is orange but i need to know before update if i install HTC carrier one will it work ?

33. Potter says

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC Desire S.

My name is David and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I understand that you are currently querying the release of Android 4.0 to the HTC Desire S.

After much investigation and research on the issue Mike, HTC has decided not to release the Android 4.0 update as a Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) release. Instead of the FOTA, we have released the update as an RUU available through the HTC Developers web site (http://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads).

This update is only recommended for users who want to experience Android 4.0 and fully understand the limitations which apply to this update. We are offering the ROM upgrade utility (RUU) for you to download. Before proceeding with the download, please be aware that all regional customizations, including operator applications, will be removed. It is also important to note that flashing this ROM will erase your previous customizations, including any messages, emails, contacts, and other personal information. We suggest you take advantage of your Google account or other backup solutions available through the Google Play Store to ensure you do not lose your personal data. Your SD Card will not be erased or modified.

34. fawazfazi says

Guys plzz help.. my desire S is not connecting with the PC through data cable, i tried to change the cable nd PC too.. i did everything but it just start charging and nothing happens. even no notification is shown on the notification bar.
    Is there any other way to upgrade my phone without data cable..?? bcoz its seems like cable is not gonna work :(

35. YJ says

I had a problem! Although I have my phone connected, the ERROR [170} USB CONNECTION ERROR kept coming out!

I followed everything on the guide,installed HTC Sync all that stuff. Its still the same :(
    There’s also a “USB Debugging Connected” warning every time I run the RUU, not really sure to tick or untick it. It says its intend for development purposes only,I tried either way by ticking or unticking. The ERROR still comes out.

Someone help please,really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• Errol Greer says

I have the same problem. The computer (Win 7 Pro) and windows sees the phone. Indeed I can open it up in Win Explorer, but I also get your error 170. Have you got a solution yet ?

36. jarmo says

ITs totally crap, i will downgrate it , many features doesnt work, even always on flash mode in default camera, doesnt show new numbers , just says uknow number and doesnt show it .

37. Steen says

I downloaded the RUU, followed the instructions and about 10 mins later my Desire S was up and running again with Android 4.0.4. It works like a charm and it performs better than the old OS. Great job guys!

38. Priti says

At the time of update i am getting an error like “Cannot connect to your andriod phone” then it asks me to exit the setup. Can anyone help me , i have HTC synch installed in the pc too .. still i dont know why this error comes.

• Errol Greer says

I have the same problem. I am running Windows 7 Pro. The computer shows that the phone is connected. I can even open it up in Windows Explorer and see the contents, but I also get the message that you have. Did you get any help after posting your comment ?

39. Vikrant says

As i was installing the RUU software i saw the file was named as (RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_14.01.401.2_Radio_20.76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_release_275068_signed)
    just one doubt about for the “Europe” thing, is this seriously for all over the world?

40. Vikrant says

And a new problem has come up with Desire S RUU update is that if you do this update you will void the warranty of your phone.
    Confirmed with the HTC service centres as well as the there call centres.
    Highly disappointing.

41. JackcomJ says

I had the same problem, you need to install htc sync and have that running in the background will you perform the update.

42. ggku says

once if we update the phone to ics ruu, can we go back to the ginger bread version by using restore factory settings if we didnt like ICS??? please reply

• Vikrant Singhal says

Yes you can go back to gingerbread. The process is the same as u got ICS. Just change the selection of operating system to android 2.3

43. ggku says

Desire S
    Telstra
    WWE
    MR
    2.6.35
    v2.3 92.7 MB

Which one of the above i have to download to go back to my original ginger bread 2.3… (i am from india)…. my device (HTC DESIRE S) is not working properly after installing ics.. bluetooth is not working.. animations are very slow.. please help me…

44. kumar says

I have updated to ICS but found pretty slow, has anyone got any idea why is it too slow.
    Downloaded WWE version and I am in UK.

45. Andy N says

Works fine on Orange branded Desire S, Just make sure you have HTC sync installed on PC, connect phone as ‘Charge Only’ Finally got rid of the Orange Bloatware… Woop!

46. Zsolt says

Hi,
    I have updated my Desire s, works fine no bugs no issue everything is ok.Wi fi,camera,hot spot works well.i was thinking about upgrade for 2 weeks, should have done immediatly.Do not be afraid of to do.

47. rav says

it works very well….i got the sence 3.6 is that correct? I mean shouldnt we get sence 4?…

48. mat says

i have win7 (64 bit) and each time i double-click on the RUU a window appears (clearly loading something) but then it disappears and nothing happens afterwards..did anyone else face the same problem? it’s realls annoying..

49. mat says

found out what the problem was:

to all of you using win7 facing problems: make sure you run the RUU in admin-mode!

• Errol Greer says

What do you mean by admin-model ? I have Win 7 Pro, and although the phone is seen by Windows, I get the error that I need to connect it ! Error 170 “connection error”

50. iandunstonIan says

I installed ICS yesterday. Two problems: 1) no internet except via wi-fi (on GiffGaff in UK) 2) 6 seconds of the ‘Loading’ message every time I go back to the front screen. Looks like I will have to return to factory 2.3

51. waqas says

i completed all steps mentioned abov bt now my ohone doesnt onn, can any 1 hep me plzzzzzz

52. waqas says

i completed all steps mentiond abov bt now my phone doesnt onnn, can u help me plzzzzzzzz

53. waqas says

i updated my desire s to ics bt my phone doesnt onn, is my phone brickked?, what should i do? can any 1 help me? i m n pakistan

54. zuellig says

i updated my desire S as mention in the manual. there was no error massage but after reboot it was totally brick. just blackscreen. it was impossible to start the bootmanager it doesn’t even recognize if the power cable is on or of. thanks htc, now i’m very interessted what my retailer will say about the garantie….

55. Bob Pike says

Upgraded my phone last night…..fantastic! ICS is much faster and crisper than Gingerbread. Now I can say my phone is superior to my old iPhone 4.

56. Antony Dick says

You have been very helpful in removing that Haptic Feedback. I am wondering if you can help me out in disabling the Notification sounds for Mail and Messages. In the Gingerbread version we had an option to change the Notification Sound for Messages and Mails separately but in ICS I’m not able to disable the Notification sound for Messages and Mails as that is really annoying. Any other thoughts, folks?

57. Tony H says

I updated the phone around 4 weeks ago and then sent it up to my wife in Laos… the only issue I am having is:
    Program: Tango (video phone)
    Problem: the video output of the front camera is inverted.. that is to say the other party sees and inverted image.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

58. Rauli Kallinen says

Well, this is my first and last HTC phone. Absolutely ridiculous hassle with android update.

59. Vj says

This happens with Gingerbread 2.3.5 aswell..I did not upgrade till now but still it shows inverted image…your phone is fine its application issue.

60. himanshu snha says

plz tell me wat to do after i downloaded files from htc dev site. on clicking it shows progresss and then it get closed.. plz help

61. graham says

My Desire S has severe lag on games now after this update, to the point where the games automatically pause when the going gets tough. It even lags on typing using SlideIt. Same phone, same apps, all good before update, now thinking of downgrading, which is a shame, as ICS looks and feels really good.

62. heaga says

Anyone notice that there is no sound with the radio/media player using headphones following the ICS upgrade? Sound returns then if the device is restarted. But then goes again……

63. Martin says

Please help!

I am desperately trying to upgrade either to JB or ICS.

First I’ve tried to unlock (succesfully), root (no success as my Desire S has Hboot 2.00) to upgrade to JB.

Second I’ve tried the all automatic ICS upgrade and got out with Error 155 (unknown) :(((

I followed all the steps and ended up with nothing :(

Last thing that I didn ‘t try is to use mini SD card of bigger volume as I use my older 512 MB. Could that be the issue as the size of the update file is 404 MB ?

• Martin says

S-off was the problem !

How stupid is that.
        Apparently after I turned s-on install went through.

ICS is now running.
        However I have no 3g internet :( – tryied manual setting of AP – didn t work.

An there’s several other bugs such as incompatibility with some apps etc.

Moronic update that is -> going to downgrade

64. tz says

hey there..anyone having problems when clicking on website links on whatsapp/messages after your ics update?mine always crashes when i try to click a link and it kinda pisses me off..==

• Chris Welton says

Funny you should notice that, NOT FUNNY. I only found out today (from my cellnet provider) that one thing that was dropped from the ics upgrade was live links in texts. I was in contact with HTC for over a week and they never mentioned it but today they say I should have read the fine print in the readme file that came with the RUU upgrade.
        When trying to find a solution I sent a text with a link in it to my wife and asked her to return it — the message app crashed !

65. Joshua says

Downloaded it, followed the steps and *shazam!*. Clenched my buttocks a bit though when my USB connection was interrupted. But it’s far from a complete update. It’s a skinny version of the real thing. I wanted the new lockscreen so bad!

66. Graham says

Update to my previous post, I ended up rooting phone completely and flashing Reaper V3 via clockworkmod. Phone now runs VERY quickly, with over clocking I go from a quadrant score of 1900 to 2759. Rooting is scary, but ICS made my phone barely useable so had no choice.

67. Logan says

Having mixed feeling after reading all this posts. Im on a Android 2.3.5 with HTC sence 3.0 – from Malaysia. My only issue with this version is that the phone auto-restarts on a random call/during call/after call has ended. If could solve this issue, i dont need this update…

68. Kasperq says

I cant go-to LINKS in a SMS message… That really sucks!!! If you get a hyperlink to a webpage in a sms, you cant go directly – you have to copy/paste… nice bug! NOT!

69. yzfr1 says

Am I the only one a bit annoyed about still having the old Gingerbread keyboard? Don’t get why they wouldn’t include the standard ICS keyboard…

70. neepheid says

I performed the update yesterday. I had a bad moment when the phone rebooted after updating Radio and then Windows told me that it was an unrecognised USB device. Eep! Had to unplug it and put it in again. Then Windows got it, I started the upgrade again and this time it went through OK. Phew!

So far I’m pretty impressed – the phone seems a bit quicker on the whole. Too early to say what has happened to battery life.

71. kostas says

I am ready to install adroid 4.0 version to my htc desire s. Do i have to download a newer verion for htc sense or it is included at the RUU file?

72. hullo help says

Hi so I finally fixed the Error 170 problem with the USB cable and the device becoming disconnected. I pressed uninstall for HTC sync then chose to repair the installation. After that I tried to update to 4.0 once and it failed. However upon rebooting my phone and computer (leaving my phone in charge only mode) it worked for me. Now using chrome to post this from my Desire S. No lag at all and works better than gingerbread. Cheers

73. Logan says

I took the risk and updated to ICS – already 2 days seems to be okay. i can feel its a bit faster, but the browser lags. And my previous that the phone auto reboot while in call/after call ended is STILL THERE !! happened yesterday. Damn, i thought this update would solve that issue but it doesn’t.

74. Vamsi says

I have updated the ICS 2 days back and evrything seems fine so far…liked the look and feel of update..so far no complaints..i feel battery life is increased. I have my office email configured and always autosycs Exchange, facebook and gmail. Wifi is on when at home and runs on 3G through out the day (including phone calls & SMS). Last night at 9:00PM I charged my phone to 100%, presently it is @ 60% (time 6:30PM as I write this). So battery life is quite good and I don’t see any issues so far. And yes I had bluetooth issue earlier, it was not detecting any device thought it might be resolved but its not fixed. Overall it was a easy installation and no issues were observed.

75. Vamsi says

Update to my earlier comment. bluetooth started working after restarting my phone for 3 to 4 time that’s wonder but WOW..!!!

76. Tim W-B says

Question: Does the phone need to be rooted to apply this (2.3.5 on Orange/UK if that makes any difference)?

77. mklrukshan-sri Lanka says

How to Update HTC Desire S to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)
    Step 1) Download Android 4.0 ICS for Desire S from here.

Step 2) Connect your Desire S USB to your computer using the USB cable.

Step 3) Copy the downloaded file to your SD card.

Step 4) Turn off your phone and then turn it in again in the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.

Step 5) Now follow the on-screen instructions and select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.

Step 6) Once your smartphone is in ClockworkMod recovery, browse for o the file we have just added to SD card and press the power button to select it.

Step 7) Press again the power button & select “choose zip from sdcard”.

Step 8) Navigate to v4 ICS zip file and select it using power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 9) Once installation is completed, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone.

Your phone will now boot for the first time in Android 4.0 ICS, so it might take some time on first boot, however it is normal.

Enjoy Android 4.0 Ice Cream sandwich on your HTC Desire S.

78. Rasel Islam says

Its really good and very easy to install. I have already installed on my Desire s. Thanks “GOOTTABE” Admin. Now my android phone run very smooth & its looks very smart more then before. Thanks again Admin. -Rasel, Bangladesh.

79. Atiq says

After updating my Desire S to ICS 4.0.4. Performance it much much improved. And the battery time is also greater than before.

80. Eric says

I found the solution for the 155 error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me it worked! If you have UNLOCKED you phone then it will show this error. I just Relocked the phone and VOILA! It was updating. If you have questions how to relock your phone then write to me

81. Seamus says

when i open the extracted RRU file, it just opens install wizard for two seconds before closing itself, what am i doing wrong

82. Manav Sikka says

Hi,

Please let me know if it’s safe to upgrade using this RUU. I’ve searched a lot and found that there’s no way to go back to HTC stock gingerbread once you update to this ICS upgrade. Please let me know if it’s worth upgrading as i have heard that there are many bugs in this upgrade.

• Manav Sikka says

Someone Please respond to my query, i desperately want to upgrade but have some doubts.

83. Sofia Koutsouveli says

I’ve updated my Desire S phone to Android 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich and it seems faster and better, the only issue was that I had to use my 32bit Windows 7 laptop since the update file didn’t work on my 64bit Windows7 PC even though HTC says it works on both 32bit and 64bit Windows7. Otherwise, the update went smoothly and without problems, I think other Desire S owners should consider upgrading as well.

84. Sreeram says

I tried connecting the phone to pc but unable to update.. Just the indicator says updating and no further action. Kindly advice.

85. goh says

The operation will take 10 mins but I have already waited close to an hour now.. How do I stop it now?…

86. Chris Welton says

Is this something new in ICS ? In my Gingerbread it is just Settings/Display/Screen Timeout.