How to Get the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean Update Right Now

Earlier today, we told you that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update has finally started to roll out to customers. And while many are seeing the update, others are unable to get the ball rolling. Well, with a simple trick, Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners who don’t see the update, should be able to pull it down right now.

It appears that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update has only arrived for certain people as it’s rolling out Over-the-Air. Thus far, I have yet to receive the update OTA.

However, using a little trick, users should be able to update manually and start using Android 4.1 Jelly Bean right now. It might take a couple of tries, but this method should work.

Read: Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean Update Rolling Out Now.

galaxy-nexus-review-13-414x57511

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update can be pulled manually using a trick.

For those that are out of luck, follow these instructions and you should be able to get Jelly Bean and all of its new features up and running in no time at all.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus’ Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

For many, this should bring up a download prompt and the installation process for Jelly Bean will begin soon after. Per usual, the process could take a little bit of time so remain patient. It also appears that owners need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network as this point. Trying to do this over cellular will likely not work.

Verizon says that it will be available on Wi-Fi until October 1st.

So for those that are impatient, this is something that you’ll want to try in lieu of waiting for the update, which could take only a few hours or possibly as long as a few days.

Let us know how it works out.

Comments

1. Thomas Cameron says

I just did what you suggested, but did not get any notification of an update. I am connected via wifi (although it is to my Verizon MiFi, so if there are ip-based filters, that might be why I didn’t get the update). If it matters, I’m in Austin, Texas.

2. Patrick says

This method worked with the prior (also late) update from VZW, but I’ve tried it too many times to count today with no update available.

• dsfasf says

you need wifi and do the clear data and disable framework couple time. and maybe reboot once or two. you should get it. this update is available via WIFI through october 2. this is a fact.

• tom pierson says

Yep Craig I live in Vance area no luck here either, be glad when they connect Tuscaloosa 4g to Birmingham 4g, bet the Mercedes Benz plant will be tickled besides me

• ryan_turner says

I just had success on the 8th try, after giving up on what this article recommended and following another commenter’s advice. Look at what “Nesra” has to say; worked for me in Tuscaloosa, AL on wifi.

• Luis S says

You have to be on wifi only, until Oct 4, 2012.Connect to wifi, then perform this trick and it worked for me after the 2nd try. Keep repeating theses steps and it will come up while on wifi only. Goode luck everyone.

3. Remak says

Okay, so it took about two or three dozen tries, but finally getting now!!! Just keep trying it will finally work.

4. Nesra says

GOT IT! Ok, tried a couple of dozen times, nothing. Finally tried clearing data ONLY without clicking Force Stop… that seems to have done the trick on mine. Good and happy Droiding.

5. Jfilla2008 says

I am trying to do this method to force update my original-not-rooted Galaxy Nexus but the thing is I can’t clear the data, for this app or all other apps under All that start with the word Google. All it says is Computing under Total, App, Data as well as Cache. the button that says Clear Data is not active. I have restarted my phone and taken out the battery a few times but it still says the same thing when I turn it back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Steve-o says

Just tried it a few times and it worked!!! I live in Los Angeles CA area. Thanks for the tip!!

7. Charles says

UPDATE: After getting the OTA 4.1 and rebooting after install, the Nexus was not able to automatically sign me in to my Google account. I ended up having to remove the user account and re-install it. Everything is fine now. FYI

8. Chris Knight says

This works. I had to do it about 20 times. Just clear the data, don’t force stop.

9. Brady says

I unrooted from using the JRO03L build to try the official update. Tried this method about 4 times. But after reading this, I will continue to try it until it works. Good thing I dont have plans until later tonight. South Louisiana.

10. Mike G. says

Boom! 6 more tries and it worked! Clearing data only is how I finally got mine to turn over.

11. Willis says

Tried this yesterday morning all morning..finally worked after 60+ tries..Aaahhhh sweet Jelly Bean!!
    High Desert, CA

12. Shannon says

Was going to try this but read of problems it can cause with Google related apps. This morning woke up and checked updates and lo and behold THERE WAS JELLYBEAN! Cannot believe that my phone actually holds a 4G signal without losing it ALL DAY! Loving Google Now too. Im in NJ.

13. Jon says

Wow this actually worked for me!! I tried about 5 times, doing 1 reboot in the process. It seems like it’s different for everyone. Good luck!

14. devin says

Same her did not work until hooked to WIFI , i stopped services,cleared data, re booted stopped service and cleared data again then check for updates and there it was

15. Mark says

Worked the 5th time. Just hit force close once and the rest hit clear data and update should start. I’m in Irvine, CA

16. vinny says

Try getting full bars for Wi-Fi. I tried for days with no luck then cleared data without forcing stop and going really clear to router. Worked first time.

17. PDogg says

its 7:25pm here in Phoenix and i still cant get it…Im starting to get annoyed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

18. Paul T says

I got mine today at about 2pm EDT. Work the wait and it definitely looks awesome.
    I live in the Washington D.C. Metro Area and I used the trick that was suggested here. I tried some other tricks mentioned here in the replies and none of them came thru.

Good Luck!

P.S. It will only download and notify you with a Wi-Fi Signal. I had no bars when I received notice after using the trick.

19. Steven says

Second try, just did the “Clear Data” as Nesra stated. Thanks for the Info!!! Birmingham, AL.

20. mchawk says

After trying all weekend stopping the service and clearing the cache nothing. Today I just cleared the cache and boom, first try.

21. greg says

I did what Nesra said and it worked. Just clear the data. I also went crazy and hit the check updates like 5 times in a row… dont know if that did anything.

22. JJ says

I live in SF CA and just tried what you suggested to get 4.1 update over wifi and it worked for me!

23. Wayne Lin (@wane1024) says

Woohoo! Got the update to kick off after ~5-10 tries. Nesra’s instructions did it for me. “GOT IT! Ok, tried a couple of dozen times, nothing. Finally tried clearing data ONLY without clicking Force Stop… that seems to have done the trick on mine.”

24. xxjeannexx says

Same as Robert Liu above!
    Worked on 1st try in SF Bay Area.

Thank you! I got tired of waiting.

25. Jessica says

Worked for me – G-Nex in DC. Had to do it a few times (less than 6?) before it took but I think it was because of a weak WiFi signal. Thanks!

26. James says

just an extra step: Apps>All>Google Services Framework>Force Stop> Clear Data> Wait> Exit> Dial *#*#2432546#*#* and wait until it notifies you with “checkin succeeded”>About Phone> Updates
    DONE!!

27. Jeff S says

Been trying for days, did was James said but had to clear data one extra time (no force stop, just clear data). Then the update came right up.

28. evo621 says

Did his directions once, didn’t work. Tried just clearing data the second time about twenty minutes later, and voila! Incredible upgrade.

29. Hoppy says

The trick worked for me. I did it about 5 times, then restarted the phone and then did it a couple more times and it worked in Northern Colorado.

30. Bil says

Didn’t work on the first try. Then I read the comment to turn wifi off, try the steps in the article above until it finds the update, then turn wifi on to download update. But it didn’t work. Then I tried the steps again, still didn’t work. On the third try, it worked without turning the wifi off.