Motorola Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich Update Now Available

AT&T finally rolled out the promised Motorola Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich update today which means Atrix 2 owners can finally take their device from Android 2.3 all the way up to Android 4.0.

The carrier confirmed the update today in a post on its website saying that the update should be available for a manual pull through the Atrix 2’s settings. Those who own an Atrix 2 will want to head into the device’s settings, after making sure the device is connected to Wi-Fi, and then head to its About section where the Check for update option is housed. Once that is used, the update should become available and it will start to download.

The process could take a bit as it will need to both download and install so set aside a few minutes to complete the Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich update.

Read: Motorola Details Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich Update.

motorola-atrix-2-feature-510x575

The Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich update is now available.

The roll out comes a few weeks after AT&T confirmed the update and detailed it on its website. And for those unfamiliar, this is an update that looks to improve upon AT&T’s Atrix 2 smartphone in a number of ways.

First, the user interface is much improved over that of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It also comes with an enhanced lockscreen, Face Unlock, an improved browser, a better email app, enhanced notifications and more. In addition, the contacts app has been replaced with a new People application and there is also a new tool that helps users better manage their data.

It should also come with bug fixes as well though Motorola hasn’t outlined them.

Read: List of Broken Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Promises Could Grow.

All in all, it’s a huge step up from Android 2.3 Gingerbread and those who own an Atrix 2 should definitely consider updating to the latest software given the improvements from Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

The Atrix 2 came out of the Ice Cream Sandwich chopping block unscathed while devices like the original Atrix 4G, Electrify and Photon 4G got the Ice Cream Sandwich axe from Motorola.

Comments

1. Freddy says

It’s sweet … I do like the old “unlock” though .. maybe just more used to it.

Much cleaner and fresher and seems much faster. Have not run into any update issues with any apps, yet … looks like the bookmarks from the ATT browser didn’t transfer into the Chrome browser but that’s no biggie.

Gmail is much cleaner and easier to use. Very impressive.

Only goofed around with it for a little bit but so far, so good.

Total update over Wifi was about 20-25 minutes .. from start to using ICS.

• Tucker says

How do I download it? I went to setting and then to attempt updates and it says it not available.

2. rob says

I have to say that I like it even better then I thought I would. A pending ICS update was my main goal while shopping for phones and I went with the Atrix 2 simply because, all things being nearly equal, I prefer the quality of Motorola. Having said that, I still think I should have gone with GS3, since it’s taken most of a year just to receive ICS on the Atrix 2, and if I had the GS3, I’d now be looking forward to an pending update for Jelly Bean. Still, I’ve always liked my Atrix 2 and, so far, Motorola seems to have created a superb update to ICS, even if it did take longer then I’d hoped. And yet, I can’t help but feel sorry for Atrix 4G users, who got reamed, imo.

3. rob says

Oh yea,… I also want to add that the phone does seem faster and more responsive, even though it wasn’t bad before. And, ICS has even more new features then I expected, too.

4. shogun says

no update available for mine. how to do it manually, other than system update in setting?

5. billy says

My screen froze up during the installation. I have 4.0 but alot of apps are not working. Is there a way to reinstall it.

6. Dalia says

It ruined my phone! All my contacts got erased, some of my pictures too. My music won’t play. I just hate it, the new browser is so hard to use. I wish i could go back :(

• billy says

Reset it to factory. It will blank all pics and musuc but it will fix any other problems.

• Natasha says

It didn’t do that on my phone, mine still doesn’t work right. When i use the keyboard it doesn’t allow me to use the “0” and “p”. I hate this new update.

• nikko says

same here… was this really an upgrade? all is gone my apps is down to 11from the high 50’s but wheel is still spinning and says “loading” … loading what? its almost a day now since since downloaded this so-called ICS.

7. Renee says

I have the Motorola Atrix 2, it just downloaded the update and now all my videos and pictures are gone. I am very upset to say the least. Where did they go and can I get them back? Thanking you in advance.

8. ada says

I can’t download new apps. At least some won’t download…i don’t want to reset my phone at all

9. Ron says

I downloaded the update, and now it seems stuck on the install. Been installing now for an hour. Anyone have the same issue?

• Xavier Douchcanoe says

After doing the download on one day, I postponed the upgrade because I had a lot of business calls to make. I started the upgrade this morning around 0700, and it is still spinning its wheels at 1130. How long does this freaking upgrade *take*?

• Ron says

Mine did the same thing. I talked to support and was told to pull the battery out and put it back in. I did this and the phone booted with the new upgrade and everything was fine.

10. Chey says

I did my update earlier this week and my phone has taken a dump. I talked to radioshack help and Motorola. They did a factory reset and boot mode andmy phone is STILL messed. Up. I cant do anything on my phone. Im highly p!$$3d that this has happened. All i want to know is if Motorola is going to fix this or what.

11. mandy says

I found my pictures… Go into your “files” app… Look under SD card … Then DCIM… Then camera.

• Crystal says

MAndy,

Thanks so much for this answer. I have now found my pictures. the other questions is how do I get them back to my gallery.

12. Rom says

Xavier.

13. The Huffster says

Why, oh why would Motorola change EVERYTHING about the way the phone is used, right down to the color scheme and the way the dialpad and unlock feature works? I don’t want to see avatars of people that I don’t have photos for in my Contacts (which are now called People) I couldn’t even FIND my phone contacts – they’d been combined with my LinkedIn contacts. It’s like you need a tutorial all over again to use the phone you’d finally gotten used to!

14. keyar says

after i upgrade my Atrix 2 to ics, many of my photos (taken before the upgrade) on the phone will not display and audio/video files will not play.

15. lady says

I keep finding that my pictures are gone. Then I shut down the phone and reboot and they come back. I hate the new color scheme. Wish there was a way to change it.

16. Please fix problems says

I like most of the updates, but I cannot download any attachments from text messages and my phone will not make a data connection without a wifi. I have tried airplane mode for minutes, pulled battery, and changed and turned off every setting I can find, no luck. Its pointless to have a smart phone that can connect to net without wifi.

17. Carey S says

I do not like this new update! My ringtones for text, call and alarms keep resetting to unknown so you don’t hear anything. My SD card keeps acting like no pictures, musics etc. are on them. I’m ready to sell this dang thing! Does anyone know of a forum for the Atrix 2 to discuss these issues and maybe get help with these problems?

• Suzanne Phillips says

Carey.. did anyone ever respond to your issues with the Atrix 2? I just came on here and EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM you are having, I am also experiencing! I thought it was just me, and my family made it seem like I was going nuts. I hate this new update. Any help or tips you can provide would be great.

18. AL says

this update has left me being unable to send pictures either by mms or data ..,… how can i go back to having the great phone i had?

19. CJ says

I agree…it did the same thing to me. I wish I would have never “upgraded”. I did a factory reset and the upgrade won’t even go away. I HATE IT!!!