Sprint Galaxy S III Jelly Bean Update Starts Rolling Out
The Samsung Galaxy S III on Sprint will, as expected, see its Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update roll out today making Sprint the first carrier in the United States to deliver Jelly Bean to a Galaxy S III handset.
Sprint confirmed what we heard yesterday saying that the update has begun to roll out today and that it will be rolling out Over-the-Air. We saw yesterday that the update would take not just a few days but a few weeks to complete so that means that not all Galaxy S III owners on Sprint should expect the update to arrive today. In fact, many owners likely won’t see the update until later this month.
The carrier did not specify how long the update would take only saying that it would roll out in a few week period.
Once the update does become available, owners will be prompted to download and install the Jelly Bean update, a process that should take a little bit of time, but will make the device that much better. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was good, but Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is Google’s best operating system yet.
As expected, the update is full of fantastic features including Android 4.1 Jelly Bean itself. We had heard that it would be bring 4G LTE improvements but we don’t see those listed on Sprint’s website. That doesn’t mean that it’s not included however.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean includes a number of enhancements, many of which can be seen in the video below.
In addition to those features, Samsung added a number of new ones of its own which include:
- Camera Enhancements:
- New live camera and camcorder filters offer a range of new ways to spark your creativity. Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights (blue, green, red/yellow), and many more are selectable from the main camera screen.
- Pause and resume while recording video allows users to string together multiple captured video clips from a party, birthday, or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required.
- Low light photo mode takes advantage of Galaxy S III’s best-in-class High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities and offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.
- Pop Up Play Update easily resizes or pauses the Pop Up Play picture-in-picture video window, taking full advantage of Galaxy S III’s powerful processor and large 4.8-inch display.
- Easy Mode is a simplified user experience option for first-time smartphone owners, providing large home screen widgets that focus on the device essentials.
- Blocking Mode can disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms and LED indicators for a designated period of time.
- Improved Usability with access to multiple keyboard options and the addition of the Swype keyboard.
All in all, this is an update worth upgrading to for Sprint Galaxy S III owners. Hopefully, this means that Jelly Bean updates from other U.S. carriers are on the way but at this point, we can’t be certain.
Anyone seeing the update yet?