Ultrabook Convertible: 5 Tablet + Notebook Windows 8 Computers

With the launch of Windows 8, Intel is pushing the new Ultrabook convertible form factor with a series of new ads to put the new form factor in front of computers.

What is an Ultrabook convertible?“, you ask.

The Ultrabook convertible is a new style of device, that transforms from a notebook to a tablet and back to help users switch from working at a desk to a more mobile setting without the need for separate devices.

Read: 10 Ultrabook Convertibles with Intel Inside

Intel doesn’t make convertible devices, but provides guidelines for manufacturers like Dell, Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba and others to create these devices.

Asus TAICHI

asus-taichi-ultrabook convertible

The ASUS TAICHI Ultrabook convertible features two screens.

To raise awareness of the new Ultrabook convertible, Intel debuted a new series of Ultrabook convertible ads across the globe. the first ad claims that with the Asus TAICHI, “Everything else seems old-fashioned”.

Toshiba Satellite U925t

Toshiba Satellite Ultrabook convertible

The Toshiba Satellite U925T is Toshiba’s first Ultrabook convertible.

Another ad shows off the Toshiba Satellite U925t Ultrabook convertible, highlighting the slide to tablet function. In this ad, the user is te subject of a smirk from an observant lady after he tries to pinch to zoom on his magazine.

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13

Ideapad-Yoga-13-Ultrabook convertible

The IdeaPad Yoga includes a dual hinge design to turn from notebook to tablet.

The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga, an Ultrabook convertible that twists around into a variety of positions. This Windows 8 notebook first showed up at CES 2012, but is finally available for purchase now that Windows 8 is on the market. Check out the IdeaPad Yoga 13′s moves in the video below.

Read: IdeaPad Yoga 13 Review

Dell Convertible XPS Ultrabook Convertible

Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook convertible

The Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook convertible includes a flip screen.

Dell brings the Ultrabook convertible to users with the Dell Convertible XPS 12, a flip-screen computer that uses a unique hinge to transform from a laptop to a tablet in a snap. Check out the transformation in the video below.

Read: Dell XPS 12 Review

Sony VAIO Duo 11 Hybrid Ultrabook Convertible

Sony VAIO DUO 11 Hybrid convertible Ultrabook

The Sony VAIO DUO 11 Hybrid Ultrabook convertible slides to reveal a keyboard.

Sony brings a slider to the game with the Sony VAIO Duo 11 Hybrid Ultrabook convertible. This tablet and notebook duo slides back to reveal a keyboard. This new Ultrabook convertible keeps the keyboard and screen much closer than the rest of the new Ultrabook convertible devices.

Stay tuned for more details on the Ultrabook convertible devices as Intel and manufacturers work with the new touch focus of Windows 8.These devices offer a full Windows experience, including access to popular Windows apps, unlike the Surface RT, which only offers access to Windows RT apps.

Comments

1. Dawn says

Josh — which one of these models can you write on the tablet part with a stylist?
    Should I wait until the makers work all the bugs out in a few months before buying one?

• Steven W. says

Since all of these use Gorilla glass I’ll assume they all have a capacitance-based touch screen, and you’ll need a STYLUS that is capable of handling that type of screen. That shouldn’t be hard to find though. I’m going to wait until the after Christmas sales and competition bring the price down a bit.

2. Michele & Ray says

where can I find comparison notes of each of the Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell and Sony convertibles…..where are they being sold at the present time and what can we expect in relation to cost?

3. Steven W. says

Better patent these things fast before Apple patents them and then sues you for making them…

4. Pallav says

the worst form factor’s that of Sony..as a tablet, it looks bulky and as a laptop, it doesn’t allow you to adjust the angle a lot..a classic case of an innovative company becoming a slow dinosaur with arthritis.

5. MWF says

Convertable notebook tablets have been around for years, just not so light and thin. Though it still look like it cost about $500 extra for the feature. Not having a rotating screen make make this cheaper.

6. irene sawchyn says

I have been using a Toshiba convertible tablet for 7 years as a teaching tool – it is a real wow factor to be able to write on your projected PP slides during a presentation, do math and draw chemical stuff. What I’d like to know is what apps does the stylus operate in? I know that on my old Toshiba I could write in Word,PP and Excel, but not, for example directly in gmail text.

7. John Connor says

I had a Lenovo convertible, for 4 years, from 04′-08′ while it wasn’t the quietest in tablet mode, it was great for kicking back on the couch with a stylus. I’d imagine they would not go backwards as far as PP functionality with the stylus, as this would remove those customers these devices are being targeted towards!

8. Tegan B. says

Exactly! I had an old hp convertible tablet laptop when it was the only kind commonly available and it was heavy and kind of slow, but I LOVED IT. Unfortunately about 2 years ago the wires connecting to the screen wore out from turning it back and forth too many times. I desperately wanted something like it again for school but couldn’t find anything but tablets, tablets, tablets! NOW there’s all these options for exactly what I wanted when I was looking for a new convertible 2 years ago! sigh. ah well, I’ll get me one of these when I’m done school :)