Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update Not Coming to HTC Rezound, EVO 3D & More?

On the heels of a leaked Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update list for HTC devices comes some grim news for other HTC devices owners, specifically those who own the HTC Rezound, HTC Sensation and HTC EVO 3D, as a leakster claims none of those devices will see Android 4.1 Jelly Bean roll out.

Read: HTC Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update List Leaks.

The Football4PDA Twitter account, which has been proved reliable in the past, claims that while many HTC phones will get the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update, a list that includes the HTC EVO 4G LTE, Droid Incredible 4G LTE and more, there are a host of other devices that won’t be getting the update. The list unfortunately holds some pretty well-known devices.

Rezound01

The HTC Rezound Jelly Bean update appears to be in jeopardy.

Apparently, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean won’t be rolling out for the HTC Sensation family of devices which should include the HTC Sensation 4G for T-Mobile, the HTC Rezound for Verizon and the HTC EVO 3D for Sprint. The account also claims that the HTC Amaze 4G Jelly Bean update won’t roll out either.

None of the carriers involved have confirmed or denied anything yet so owners of these devices shouldn’t get down just yet but given the source, lack of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates for these devices is a distinct possibility and owners should start preparing for a life on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or a custom ROM.

Read: HTC Rep: Verizon Decided ThunderBolt is Better Without Android 4.0.

HTC has done little to clear up the situation as it has only confirmed Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the HTC One X and HTC One S so far.  Android 4.1 Jelly Bean situations for other devices remain unresolved and could remain that way until 2013.

Unfortunately, if these devices aren’t getting Android 4.1, they likely won’t be getting Google’s latest version of Android, Android 4.2, which improves upon everything that is great about Jelly Bean while adding some new nifty features. It also should rule out Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, Google’s rumored upcoming operating system which will likely debut at Google I/O in May.

Comments

1. David says

I got my Rezound about a month after it got upgraded to ICS and I’m loving it. The 4.1 update would certainly be welcomed, but if it doesn’t come, I won’t be too disappointed. Let’s hope that, at least in this case, the rumors aren’t true.

2. ben says

I don’t see why HTC or sprint would update the evo 3d now, I’ve had mine for almost 2 years and finally received the ICS update in august…if these companies update older phones, what’s the likelihood of people renewing their contracts and buying a new phone if they’re happy with what they have ? I know I won’t be renewing with sprint in April that’s for sure…service is terrible in areas you would think would be the best…plus the lack of 4g coverage in my area…oh well….

• cnote1287 says

Because people like to have the piece of mind that their manufacturer provides updates. My brother has the Galaxy S 2, which came out BEFORE the evo 3d, and he’s getting 4.1. How come he gets it, but my Evo 3D, which came out AFTER doesnt get it? I’m going with samsung as my next phone, not HTC anymore.

See? If they invested and rolled out 4.1, I might’ve bought another HTC phone, but they lost a sale. And i KNOW for a fact I’m not the only one who feels this way…..just look at HTCs financials. Going downhill….hmm wonder why.

This is why the should update it.

3. Jeff T. says

The Rezound has only been released for 13 months now. and it came out after ICS was announced. It should not have taken 9+ months to get ICS on it.

What happened to Google’s wishes that phones be updated for 18 months after release?

4. Tony says

If true about the Rezound, it will be the last HTC phone I ever purchase. It took way too long to get ICS. Never did recieve the global ability update. Not sure if it’s HTC or Verizon’s fault. Don’t care. If Apple can rollout regular updates, I expect it from the others. Tired of the excuses and out right lies.

• anthony says

Totally agree, HTC needs to step it up if they want to compete with the “big boys” like Apple and Samsung. I am an informed consumer of electronics and my purchase of 2 HTC Rezounds is easily the worst electronic purchase I’ve ever made! Battery dies in 2.5 hrs, phone is frequently hot, no Jelly Bean upgrade, and can’t use the phone for fear of dying at work. I am in the medical field and cannot use medical apps because the screen drains the battery. Worst phone ever!!! A real piece of crap.

• Isaac says

You have to remember Anthony that apple makes the hardware and software its easy to make software for just that phone. but with google they have to make a software that works on hundreds of different phones it just not possible.

• Isass Derptard says

Apple doesn’t make their hardwware. they source parts and a company to put it together. it’s no different than any other OEM.

• Kenneth says

Crapple only has to make software for crapple phones. Google makes software for many companies at once. Its like people that buy Apple compters and spend 1500 doing so. Its ridiculous when you can buy a pc with the same hardware as the apple. And if os is the excuse a pc will run the apple os

• Chris says

Fail! I have had the rezound since it. came out. I don’t have any of your problems. maybe you’re just terrible with phones.

• jennifer says

The htc rezound is one of the few phones that has an extended battery option I purched one and have had no trouble with the phone since. Just something to look into

• Xysk says

Get a real battery. My rezound lasts for 1.5 days with every feature I can find turned on. Its not petite, but works great. Needs the bigger battery.

5. jeff says

i will never buy HTC again. Everyone should boycott them. Go to Samsung or another manufacture that will support updates.

6. Vlad says

the HTC Amaze deserves the Jelly Bean update… hope it comes soon… I been a vivid htc user, owned the Wildfire, two Legends, a Desire HD, upgraded to Amaze and still have the Flyer tablet which I love a lot… hopefully JB comes as a little gift for Christmas or New Year, or I will stop buying their products and/or stop recommending it to people

7. sailnut says

I’m never buying another HTC product. I’m tired of being strung along. The EVO 3D hasn’t even been out two years. They should support updates for the length of the service provider contracts, which is normally two years.

8. Damon says

They did say EVO 3D for Sprint. Meaning there’s still hope for those carrying a non-branded EVO 3D, like the GSM models.

9. Roger says

I have a rezound and could care less at this point. I plan on leaving contract and going with prepaid and a Android 2.3 gingerbread phone anyways. I have a Nexus tablet for all the latest Android OS updates. I can make do with ‘less’ on my phone and save 50 plus bucks a month in the process. I won’t be needing a whizbang quadcore phone with a 4 inch screen anytime soon, especially since they’re grossly overpriced compared to a 3G tablet like the 32GB Nexus 7 w/ 3G for 299.00 vs. 500 plus for a phone outright.

• Roger says

All the whizbang tech of smartphones is reaching the point of diminishing returns, wallet-wise.

10. Jon Griner says

I have an Evo 3D. The hardware is more than sufficient for the 4.1 update, so there is no logical reason to leave it out. If HTC doesn’t support this phone, when I only got it a year ago, I’m out of the Android game and off to Apple’s next offering…i.e. iPhone 5S (likely).

11. Xee says

Come on guys.. u ppl r still thinkin about loving or hating htc for updates… its the same htc, who promised to upgrade desire hd to ICS, and later on cancelled the upgrade… boycott htc!

• jeff says

I will wait until June 2013 to get a new phone. Contract is up. It will not be an HTC. If HTC can not support us. I will no longer support them. I’m am telling all my friends when asked not to purchase HTC. been doing this since I last posted on 12/12/2012.

12. Nate says

Guys, its not HTC’s fault. They have to release so many different versions of the same software to cater to multiple regions, models, carriers. HTC is not entirely to blame, for example, the US ICS updates were delayed by Sprint for God knows how long. If anything, boycott the carriers, but by doing this you’ll leave yourself without a phone.

Yes, HTC should have pushed Sprint and Verizon to meet their deadline sooner, like Apple does, but they do have other concerns. They make phones, and most people aren’t bothered by software updates, they want a solid phone that works for daily use. The people complaining about the Jelly Bean update are a minority, and most phone manufacturers cater to the majority.

If you want Jelly Bean that badly unlock, root, s-off, and put it on your phone.

I’m sorry for the rant, but HTC are reviewing the list of phones, and it is unlikely that all of their 2011 line will get it. The EVO 3D, for example, yes, its a flagship device, but, whether they’ll get a 3D capable Jelly Bean update working is another question.

Rant over

• jeff says

Do not believe that, Other manufacutures of cell phones are getting thier updates out. Samsung is coming out with thier new phone in May then and Android 5 will be out. Had the Thunderbolt before the rezound will never trust HTC again. i do not care for thier excuses or anyone that defends them. They are doing this to save a buck. So I’ll spend my buck else where.

• Nate says

Yes, the MANUFACTURER is getting the updates out. But, people complaining about software are a minority. It’s true.
        I stand by my viewpoint, as I couldnt do what HTC do. Release the same software with tweaks for over 100 different variations. I’d like to see everyone complaining that we aren’t getting Jelly Bean do better and get an update working.

I’m sorry, but HTC do cater to the majority, and unless you get all the non-techies complaining too, there probably won’t be an official OTA update. Samsung, Apple and so on, roll out their updates because they push the carriers to do so, whereas, HTC do not, that’s why the ICS update was delayed for so long because of Sprint. As I have said, if you’re that concerned about getting Jelly Bean, upload a custom ROM to your phone, but don’t boycott the MANUFACTURER because you don’t get what you want. They don’t cater specifically to one person, and their phones work brilliantly as they are, so most people that own one are fine with it.

I’m sorry if you disagree with my viewpoint.

• isaac says

Praise the lord! you are a smart person and said what i didn’t know how to say. People have 2 year old phones and expect to get all the latest updates. Just because someone phone looks like and feels like it should get the latest software dosnt mean its true. it just means that htc really know how to build some remarkable device

• bsant malviya says

i have htc evo 3d and the makers forgot to add in built video call on 3g network but they have give front camera to see own picture

• Nate says

Skype? GTalk?
            There is the capability and potential in this phone for Jelly Bean, yes. But, as many developers have found out, system resources in Sense 4.0/.1/+ break the 3D on our phones. HTC would have to make a whole new Sense 4+ for our phones, and as they’ve had a bad quarter last year, and our phone is over a year old, itsuunlikely that we’ll see Jelly Bean officially. As I’ve said, I’d like to see all of the people complaining put together a working Jelly Bean Sense ROM that has WORKING 3D, 4G, etc and has no bugs whatsoever.

• angry evo3d owner says

Why don’t they just hire the people who make and modify the Rom’s and the rest would be awesome but HTC cant be bothered once they got your money they don’t care nothing I spoke to HTC customer support who said in one breath I would have to wait for my EVO 3d to be updated and in the next breath they dis not say my phone would be updated make your mind up for gods sake ! So I then asked if I paid for update but by law they can’t charge for it double dealing self centered lieing fools apple will soon be stabbing them in the heart soon anyways so go Apple hit them with the biggest lawsuit and htc will only be a thing of the past serves em right for all the lies and double dealing freaks

• jeff says

I will not buy another HTC product, and reading about the DNA, Nice screen the rest sucks

13. Danny says

Those who own HTC should realize that as the saying goes “its the nature of the beast”. I own an HTC rezound and it is by far one of the faster phones i have owned. It sucks if jelly bean isn’t released i wont be too upset. I plan to get the DNA when i upgrade in a couple months. My phone never heats above 103 and my standard battery lasts about 4.5 hours using the media player.

14. gilad says

if the htc amaze won’t get the update i will never purchase another htc phone again, anyways, all of their new devices are crap (non-replaceable battery and no micro sd slot)

15. sophicsage says

My HTC Evo 3D has the hardware requirements for the Jelly Bean update. If they don’t support this phone by the time my contract is up, which is approaching, I will never get another HTC phone. I won’t even get another Android phone, because I won’t want this to happen again. This talk about fragmentation of the Android OS environment was true. I’ve defended Android for a long time. But when my phone gets booted while being such a recent device, and having the hardware requirements necessary, I feel burned and abandoned as a customer. I’ve been checking different forums and there is less and less information about the Evo 3D being updated to Jelly Bean. In fact, no information since around December 12th, 2012. It’s like it’s just been completely abandoned. These phones are not cheap, and therefore should be supported for at least the duration of a contract and actually longer. I predict an iPhone in my near future.

16. jeff says

Dear Jeff Topol,

Thank you for your reply. HTC has not yet announced that the Rezound is not getting Jelly Bean. There is a chance this update will be available for your device in the near future. You can watch us on our Facebook (facebook.com/htc), Twitter (twitter.com/htc), and our official blog (blog.htc.com) for more forthcoming details on release dates and schedules for device updates. Thank you for your email, Jeff, and in the future if you have any other questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us! I hope you are having a wonderful night and thank you for being the most important part of HTC!
    Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Lisa

HTC

• Jeff says

I’m on verizon wireless and have stayed loyal to them for over 19 years and I stay loyal to brand as well, now having been an avid HTC user for over 4 years, the only thing I can’t understand is why am I going to have to leave my carrier after so many years to get the greatest smartphone in the world? Will in fact the HTC One come to the largest and fastest carrier in the u.s? Or am I going to have to switch carriers? I will only wait until June 15th 2013 which should be well enough time for HTC to make a deal with Verizon and realize its the only smart thing to do!

Jeff L