Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX Jelly Bean Update Released, Pulled

Over the holiday, the Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Jelly Bean update started rolling out to owners. However, the update was then stopped for many users and seemingly pulled by Motorola or Verizon for rolling out early. Since then, neither company has publicly stated exactly what happened, leaving Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners extremely puzzled.

Read: Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX ICS Bug Fix Update Still Missing Five Months Later.

On December 24th, Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners got a bit of a surprise when their Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates arrived much earlier than many owners probably expected. The update, for those who got it, brought the devices to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, a vast improvement over what the device’s were previously running, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

DroidRAZR17-620x33011-575x3061

The Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX Jelly Bean updates rolled out then were seemingly pulled.

Soon after the roll out began, it became apparent that something was wrong. We received several emails from concerned Droid RAZR MAXX owners who claimed that the update failed to download and that they were unable to pull the new firmware. Since then, the update has been unavailable and Motorola and Verizon have not issued any type of an apology or clear explanation as to what happened.

From comments on its Facebook page, it looks like the update may have rolled out early. That seems to be the only logical explanation at this point but it’s one that neither company has confirmed to us or the countless owners of its Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX smartphones. The update was dated December 11th, so it’s a new piece of software, but it’s unclear if it’s the final version of the update.

That being said, it’s unknown whether those who got the update are using the official version or not and when the updates might start rolling out for Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners.

While we and owners of these devices wait for answers, there is a way to get the update now for those that just can’t wait. We recommend not installing the software until Motorola or Verizon makes it clear that it’s the final version but for those that wish to take the plunge, the option is available.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is one of Google’s latest versions of Android and it brings Google Now, a smoother user interface, improved Notifications to the table making it a huge upgrade over Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Comments

1. Gary Jones JR (@HighVel) says

My wife (razr) and I (maxx), both got 4.1.2 on Christmas Eve. We are thrilled with our phones. Mine was originally on 2.3 then upgraded to 4.0 a few months ago. The maxx never functioned as smoothly as it does now. It’s like I got a new phone.

2. Alex Perry says

My wife got it OTA. I had to download it and install it on my phone. It’s a great update. The phone is faster, 4G is more steady, and GPS works much better.

3. Joe says

Btw, I JUST upgraded to Jellybean. I’m on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. It seems they are rolling the update back out again.

• [email protected] says

I spoke to a moto rep at my local and he said jan or late feb for the update…

4. Rob says

Got it manually. Can’t say anything about the battery yet, but the lag is alllllllllll gone. No more waiting 4min to open the browser, etc. Just did it last night so can’t say much else. The Google search widget however doesn’t work for me.

5. Jeff says

If you update manually, and something does not work, can you go back to ICS? I have been attempting to find the answer all over, but no success.

I would really like to try the update but love to have my safety net.

6. Jeff says

Also meant to ask. If you manually update, does it take you off the official OTA update path?

I would assume not since it is a somewhat “official” build (just not pushed by Motorola/Verizon).

• Aaron says

I was at first a little scared to upgrade manually, but nothing went wrong and it worked out great even kept all my settings and everything else I had. but I took the step it was actually very easy and my phone has lots of new things and runs very smooth and better overall I recommend!

7. keith says

The only thing I noticed so far is when you are about to end a call and you pull the phone away to end the call the screen has shutoff and you have to hit the screen button on the top right to get the screen back on. Is anyone else seeing this?

8. John Matthews says

Mine updated Christmas eve First thing it did was lose my videos. On New Years day it lost 500 pictures. Some other functions of apps also lost someplace too. Danger Be Ware! The program has bugs…lots of bugs!

• keith says

Maybe something went wrong with doing the update OTA. I did the update manually and didn’t experience any file loss.