Sony Xperia S Jelly Bean Update Starts Rolling Out

The long-awaited Sony Xperia S Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update has started to roll out to owners today, just hours before the arrival of Sony’s self-imposed deadline of May.

After weeks of confusion and unrest from owners of the Sony Xperia S, the device has finally received its update from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. At the end of April, Sony promised the update by the end of May and fortunately, the company delivered on this promise. The update is indeed rolling out, something confirmed by Sony itself, but it’s not clear exactly where it’s rolling out.

XperiaBlog confirmed that it has touched down in France, at the very least, but we imagine that other regions will be close behind. Keep in mind, we heard some regional arms of Sony, like Brazil, confirm the software for the month of June. So we imagine that while some owners will get it during the month of May, others won’t see it touch down until next month.

The Sony Xperia S Jelly Bean roll out has begun.

The Sony Xperia S Jelly Bean roll out has begun.

The update will likely start with unbranded versions of the Xperia S and then work its way to the carrier-branded models of the device.

The update seems to be available through Sony’s PC companion at the moment so owners of the Xperia S, at least in France, will want to try their PC and the software in order to install the update.

As expected, the software is firmware number 6.2.B.0.200 and it will bring all of the new features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to owners of the aging Xperia S. What this means is that owners will receive a new, smooth user interface, improved stock apps like Browser and Calendar, better Camera applications and more.

We imagine that Sony also has provided some enhancements and bug fixes though without a changelog, it’s impossible to say what those might be. It’s unclear if this will be the last update for the Xperia S or if Sony will update the now aging Xperia S with the latest that Android has to offer, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

Comments

• Tanya says

Xperia p got jb update in april but it haven’t arrived in Pak yet so don’t expect anything for at least 2 more months. Sony is a bunch of A-holes

• ferdinand says

Sony aren’t the a-holes , its the carriers with their modified versions of android which they have to customize before they release, i suggest downloading flashtool, the ftf file and get a tutorial on how to flash it , worked like a charm for me on my xperia s and i’m a noob, shouldn’t be much different , so if you’re not willing to wait , update the phone manually

1. Shivam naik says

i updated , but its not good as we expected. first of all sound quality is rubbish even china phones have better sound quality then Xperia S . stamina mode is not there , battery dries out soon , working slow . so better u don’t update it. .I am Sony fan , i’ll like to wait for next update.

2. Liam Aierstock says

Got the update through pc companion in uk, cant update over the air. still early days but even though its an update it seems quite laggy, especially the homescreen, where the phone struggles to swipe through homescreens, and this has been made worse by a 3d scrolling effect. all seems still very slow much like ics 4.0.4, not sure if it was worth updating, might just go back to custom roms as they eat less battery, are less laggy and work a lot better on the phone!

• ferdinand says

dude please tell me if it was done OTA or pc companion and what operator are you currently using and what your previous build number was casue im from south africa and havent gotten anything.

• Sebastian says

I used PC companion, With Virgin mobile, and the build I dont remember but it was the last update prior to this one. Maybe you just need to wait it out

• Ferdinand says

Thanks Sebastian , I use cell c on my phone and my laptop is on 8ta so I’m not sure if it has any affect on the update , but I shall wait , thanks again

• Sebastian says

I don’t think your Internet service provider has anything to do with it. They’re just what PC companion uses to find the update. Although, when was the last time your PC companion checked for an update?

• ferdinand says

i have no idea how to reply to the most below . the last time i checked through pc companion was right now i even tried using the SUS but no luck so im baffled .

• ferdinand says

and could it possibly be that my phone is a vodacom phone because the previouse ics update was done through a laptop through vodacom?

• Sebastian says

I read somewhere some time ago that carriers are partially responsible for the delays in phone updates. So it could be that vodacom has yet to release it.

• ferdinand says

i saw that somewhere, has to do with the branding or something like that and have customized versions of android, so im going to try and get it on using flashtool and the ftf file. if it works i should be able to get all future updates ( if there are any, which i doubt) as soon as they are released.

• Sebastian says

Sounds a little warranty unfriendly. But you’re probably passed the warranty period anyway. I suggest you wait a while coz it should rock up eventually. Only as a final resort, try out your method.

• ferdinand says

yes i have passed the warranty period. if the phone somehow gets damaged id have an excuse for my dad to get me s4. i shall just try and let you know how it goes.

• Shuvz says

Ferdinand and Sebastian. Where in South Africa are you guys? I’m waiting on JellyBean still. I’m in Cape Town using Vodacom

• Sebastian says

Cape Town too. I’m with Virgin Mobile, that small not so famous network lol. It’s really odd that Vodacom hasn’t rolled it out yet.

• ferdinand says

JELLY BEAN :D! flashing it was pretty easy, camera has lag issues but the rest of the phone is awesome!

• Cheston says

did you really get it? i am still waiting on mine..:(
      why is this taking so looooooonnnnngggg!

3. Dior Hirai Ruado (@theDIORed) says

So far what is so fascinating about the JB updated for Sony XS is fixing the camera auto focus problem, it has snapshot feature which takes pictures in .5 seconds, auto scene has been very sensitive in determining environment. The walkman feature has added options to look for the song in you tube (including lyrics), even to look for the song being played in google. Android beam (good news!) has been an added feature for this NTC capable device. Power management has been added to make sure data or wifi is not working if the phone screen is off (downloads though will continue till it’s finish), Google now works just fine, it gives you additional ‘cards’ to weather and whatever interest you have, google voice also is quite exciting (works like siri) will put additional if I can just have time to check out the other features..Hope someone can post an article or video of the added features as what I’m trying to discover would be the multi-tasking capability of JB in XS:) so far so good :) Follow me @thediored

4. David says

PCC is telling me that the update is available but when i try to update its not working, when im om the step shen i press the volume down button and put in the usb, nothing happens :/ anyone else experiencing this? Whats the sulotion?

5. J says

Got the update in Vietnam. OTA update does not work, but when I plug in the phone to the computer with PC Companion, there’s notification for a new software.

6. Pravin says

Reboot ur phone connecting to PC companion , you should see a notification for the update available.

7. Md Firdous says

Hello friends, I am a xperia sl user from india and just now I updete my phone to jelly bean. It was not shown in the update centre. I recommend all the user to follow these steps,
    1.connect the phone with the pc.
    2.Install the sony pc companion in the pc.
    3.connect pc to the internet.
    4.open the sony pc companion. Here it will show the model no. of your phone.
    5.here it will show the update if not then in below there is a tab named “support zone”, in this click on the “start” tab.
    wow, finally the update will be started. Now enjoy with the Jelly Bean.
    If you have get the update then plz pray for me…….by Md. Firdous. If any query is there then You can e-mail me by my id [email protected]. Thank you.

• JB update says

what carrier r u using??? me too from india… i tried same way but still i didnt get it….