Android 4.2.2 Skips Galaxy Note 2 & Galaxy S3 Again

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3 owners again have to watch another Android 4.2 Jelly Bean roll out take place while they await answers from Samsung in regards to their upgrade path which is almost assuredly going to be straight to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, the latest Android update from Google.

For weeks now, it has been assumed that the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy S3 will be skipping Android 4.2 Jelly Bean for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Australian carrier Telstra seemed to confirm Samsung’s intentions for the Galaxy Note 2 and German carrier Telekom did the same thing for the Galaxy S3.

Read: 7 Reasons You’ll Love the Android 4.3 Update.

If Android 4.3 is next for the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3, Samsung isn't saying. though.

If Android 4.3 is next for the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3, Samsung isn’t saying. though.

Samsung, for its part, has yet to confirm anything for the two flagship smartphones leaving owners in the dark about their next software upgrade. And to make matters worse, Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3 users have had to continue to watch Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean roll outs for a number of other Samsung Galaxy devices.

The latest is for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Wi-Fi which, according to SamMobile, is now receiving its Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update in the United Kingdom. The update is available through an Over-the-Air update and Samsung Kies. It will take the device from Android 4.1 to Android 4.2 and bring a host of new features to the table including lockscreen widgets and multiple user accounts, something that is extremely useful with tablets.

Read: Android 4.2 & Android 4.3: Which Samsung Phones Will Get Updates?.

Of course, this also means that the Galaxy Note 2 and the Galaxy S3 have once again been beaten to a major Android update by a less adopted device, something that has Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 owners more than a little frustrated.

The devices have been stuck on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean since 2012 with the Galaxy S3 getting Android 4.1 in September and the Galaxy Note 2 launching with Android 4.1 out of the box. Indeed, Galaxy Note 2 owners are still looking for their first big software update.

From the looks of things, they will skip Android 4.2 for Android 4.3 but at this point, it’s unclear exactly when they might be receiving their software updates. Rumors have suggested that it could take months and typically, manufacturers don’t release new Android software updates until months after Google’s Nexus devices receive them.

Comments

1. Jo says

I own a Galaxy Note II and I don’t care that I’m not getting Android 4.2. Android 4.1 is serving me for now and Android 4.3 is reportedly on the horizon. At least I’m not running Android 4.0 or below…

• John Doe says

Samsung needs to update their Galaxy S3s. If they don’t get to it soon they will lose customers starting with this one.

2. ckh14 says

There never gonna push the 4.2.2 update to our note 2 until well after the note 3 is released…especially after seeing the final specs revealed that has pissed of or disappointed a lot of people by devreasing the screen size from 5.99 to 5.68…5.68 is a total addition of 3 mm…a change so small it will probably not be noticiable, and given the speed and performance of the note 2, what incentive would n2 owners have to upgrade to note 3 with the new software and basically the same phone bar incrimental improvements that may or may not be noticed? I love the 4.2.2 build and new touchwiz which which makes the wait even worse…unfortunate but probable…4.2.2 will release around november or if it is 4.3 more like December/January

• josh says

I have to agree with you on the comment you made about current note 2 owners being unlikely to upgrade to the note 3 I wanted a bigger screen for sure. I couldve lived with a 5.7inch but I really wanted a 5.9 or so inch screen. And the new rumor of a 3200mah battery is just flat out disappointing

• ckh14 says

Josh, im bummed out too. After all the insider leaks and rumors, to come out with a nearly identical phone barring that whopping 3mm increase in screen lol. I would be buying one day one if it were to have been 5.99 as they announced in march, but 5.55 to 5.68 is a joke, and will make zero difference in the end user experience. In my opinion its simply so they can say its bigger, and secondly to have room left for note 4 and 5 to come. In reality the spec update is cool on paper but will make about as much difference as that 3 mm increase. Which is exactly why they withheld 4.2.2 until after note 3. Which by then will have been a year since note 2 release, and 9 months after 4.2 was released. I love the note series im not gonna lie, but to me this should be called note 2.5 for what it offers. Hd screen over 5 inches..negligible spec bump to s800 over exynos 4412 in real world use…negligible 3200maph battery negligible theres nothing other than incrimental Improvements over note 2, and seems more like a phone for those who dont own note 2, rather than making a note for us true note fans. Fail imo

3. Barbara says

No fence, Samsung a lot of people aren’t going to buy note 3, specially if you cant even do newer updates on the note 2, still waiting almost a yr for update on the
    Note 2. It would be a waste of money to buy a note 3, if you have to wait for so long for updates.

4. T. Todd Brown says

Are they passing updates for phones intentionally so we go out and buy the latest and greatest phone? Won’t happen with me. I might go back to flip phone or better yet none at all

5. dreamkiller says

guys 4.3 for samsung galaxy s3 is out. i just found it at windroidblog.blogspot. its sleek and very fastttt

6. Ian Schroeder says

i have the Galaxy s3 16GB White Sprint version with Jellybam 10.0.0 AOKP Cyanogenmod and Paranoid Android with android 4.3 keylimepie!!!!! This just came out and its super cool!! i dont have touchwiz tho, just stock android, but i dont reallt care

7. ckh14 says

The point is not if note 2 gets the update to 4.2 or 4.3 its when…like that chad said above samsung confirmed it which is fine and dandy…until you realize its gonna be well after note 3 is released. Samsung has no incentive to send 4.3 update when theyre trying to sell the note, and by holding out the latest firmwaresome people will buy note 3 that are tired of waiting. So yes note 2 will get 4.3, but it will be another 4 or 5 months from now, after key lime pie 5.0 has been announced, just in time for leaks and rumors of note 4. This is how almost all these companies operate…sucks but its the truth…there is a reason why there is an 8 month average delay between a new android os amd the release of the update to consumers.

8. Sati says

samsung should give update 4.3 for s3. otherwise they will lose market in india.. i will tell to my friends Dont go for samsung coz they are cheater. i have samsung s3 i am waiting for android update..

9. NuLL.n.VoiD says

I switch to a Samsung device because they have a tradition of fast updates and marginally better communication. So far, the update for my Note 2 is taking the same crappy path as my last 2 Moto phones. I’m on VZW, so there is no option for a good Nexus device and coverage for most of the other carriers in my area suck. So Sammy, WTF? Why are you so tight lipped now?

10. john says

Google is giving extra weightage to its own product Nexus 7, that is why Galaxy note 2 & Galaxy S III may not have the android’s latest version installed in it. Lets c when Google unleashed these updates for other brands.

• j2 says

I hate that comment just root it…some people enjoy the use of multi window and spen functionality and in order to keep that you have to have a touchwiz ROM and since Samsung hasn’t released a touchwiz 4.3 ROM for the note 2 yet or developers haven’t had a chance to port it from the note 3…its not that simple and being a member of the modding and romming community you should know that

11. Dir says

I’m from Malaysia and my Note 2 is still 4.1.2..which is sucks coz I kept reading about how goody-goody 4.2 and 4.3 are working but none for my Note 2..officially. My note 2 RAM usage kept rising to 90% by Samsung background software running and it slow down the phone and I hate slow performance. I bought this coz I thought it has higher processor and RAM but turnout to such a BIG DISSAPPOINTMENT.