iOS 7 Error 9006 Plagues Users in iTunes

iPhone and iPad users trying to update to iOS 7 Over-the-Air are running into Software Update Failed errors, errors that prevent the iOS 7 install from being completed. Those looking for a remedy through an iTunes install won’t find it either as iOS 7 installation errors have hit iTunes as well as a 9006 error is plaguing users trying to manually install.

Earlier today, Apple pushed its big iOS 7 update live to iPhone, iPad and iPod users in the United States and around the world. The update comes with a brand new look and several new features including AirDrop. Problem is, many iPhone and iPad users are unable to install iOS 7 due to a Software Update Failed error that continues to pop up during the download process.

Read: iOS 7 Software Update Failed Errors Frustrate Users.

iOS 7 beta code indicates Apple is testing an iPad mini 2 without a Retina Display, but it's not clear if this is the iPad mini 2 set for a fall release or just a test device.

iPad and iPhone users are encountering error 9006 in iTunes when trying to install iOS 7.

iPhone and iPad owners are unable to get the iOS 7 update downloaded and thus, the update is unable to install and replace the previous iOS update, iOS 6. Many of those looking for a remedy haven’t found a suitable one yet as the error continues to pop up even when users retry the update. And unfortunately, those looking to go the alternate installation route are running into errors as well.

iPhone and iPad users looking to avoid the Over-the-Air update by installing through iTunes are encountering errors as well. When we went to try and update to iOS 7, iTunes told us that the most current version of iOS for iPhone and iPad was iOS 6, not iOS 7, thus not allowing us to download the software. The errors can be seen in the screenshot below.

This error popped up first when trying to install iOS 7 through iTunes.

This error popped up first when trying to install iOS 7 through iTunes.

After numerous attempts, we finally updated to iTunes 11.1 which also gave us an error when trying to download. After several tries, we were able to get it download and installed, only to get greeted with another error that looks like the one below.

Another error when installing iOS 7 through iTunes.

Another error when installing iOS 7 through iTunes.

After starting the update again, and letting it download for at least five minutes, we were greeted with yet another error that looks like this, stating that an unknown error occurred listing a 9006 error.

We’ve tried starting the update again though we keep getting this 9006 error, preventing us from installing the software through iTunes on both the iPad and the iPhone.

Apple’s website suggests a fix for the error, saying that owners should “Quit iTunes, discard the .ipsw file, (see the steps under Advanced Steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) below for file locations), open iTunes and attempt to download the update again.”

Those that don’t want to follow those steps will likely want to sit and wait for Apple’s servers to cool off before trying to install iOS 7 again. At some point, the download process will work, it’s just clear as to when.

Comments

1. Lady says

You’re the first I’ve seen to report on this. Apple’s fix hasn’t worked for me either.

2. Alex says

I reset my phone and turned wireless on and off. I was then able to download the update. I then repeated the above process for install and it is working right now.

• Bala says

Hi, I downloaded ios7 but could not install. It throws a message “error occured installing ios7″. Please help to fix this

3. daddy says

you sir should never make another article. just because it isnt working for you or your little queer friends doesn’t mean the rest of the world is running into errors

4. scott says

what’s daddy’s problem?
    Doesn’t work for me either, and I’m not little or queer.
    9006 error on everything I try with. Ipad2, Ipad with retina, iPhone 5 and via iTunes.

5. Esteban says

After 4 times downloaded with error 9006 I turned off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and now good on the first try… Installing IOS 7 right now :-)

6. Monica says

I had to delete some items on my iphone to allow for a enough space for the install, it worked after that

7. Pete says

Tried to download the update 15 times and got it to download completely. Then when I tried to install, I got an error, “software update unavailable”. Tried another few times to install it and it’s finally going. Probably should’ve waited till later tonight or early morning.

8. Nathan Coblentz says

Apparently you need 3 GB of free space in order to install correctly, even using iTunes. I cleared up some space and the install worked like a breeze for me :)

9. Jdres says

All I did was turn off wifi then turn on wifi, after that it let me do the update over the wifi connection on my iPad. Hope this helps others

10. Julian Finn (@DearThey) says

From the conversations I’ve had on Twitter, and from personal anecdotal experience, newer iDevices don’t seem to be having the issue. My wife and I both started downloading around the same time (10 to 11 am Mountain time, right when the update pushed). My download on my iPad 2 started first, my wife’s iPhone 5 about 5 minutes later. By 11:30 she was running iOS 7, it’s now 1:40 and I’m 20% through my 70th or so attempt to download the update.

I’ve done iCloud, iTunes, on a Mac, on a PC and in DFU mode in both devices. Through iTunes (11.1) I get the 9006 error, in DFU mode I get told that my device lacks permission to communicate with the update server. I’m not using a jailbroken device.

My informal twitter poll had 100% occurrence rate with this issue on any iDevice older than an iPad 4 or iPhone 5. My gut tells me that Apple is deliberately prioritizing server access to more current models, which, if true, would be one of the douchier things they’ve pulled.

• Mike says

Same experience. All my devices are doing great except for the iPad 2. Have done all suggested methods. If Apple is deliberately prioritizing server access we will never find out. But there is a special place in hell reserved for anyone who would make a decision like that.

11. Vincent says

Turns out, after i deleted some things from my phone, i needed atleast 3.0 GB of space open and it worked perfectly!

• Harlan Proehl says

Yep, that solved my 9006 error as well. iTunes didn’t flag it as a lack of storage by the wireless update pointed out the 3GB requirement. Offloaded 3 GBS of photos and I was good to go.

12. Josh says

Apple should have anticipated the millions of users wanting to download the update. While I’m sure that they did, they failed to do something about it. I guess the whole error are clear signs that 1) the vision died with Steve 2) Apple is now just another company 3) it’s time to switch to android devices.

• Julian Finn (@DearThey) says

Just remember that, if you switch to Android, yeah you’ll get an objectively better system (with just as broken an update system, mind you) but you won’t be able to sms any of your old iPhone contacts for about a month. Unless you give up your number.

13. Michael says

A good time to switch to an android phone. Very frustrating. They are as incompetent as MICROSOFT