How To Transfer Your Contacts from iCloud to Google Contacts

Does all the talk about the iPhone 5s and iOS 7 have you down? Maybe you were expecting more out of the new iPhone and now wish you could switch to Android? Part of making the switch to Android is making sure all of your contacts arrive in one piece. It is extremely easy to move your contacts from iCloud to Google Contacts so that they appear on your shiny new Android phone the moment you log in. Here’s how you do it!

Note: Although these instructions are on a Mac, they should be identical on a Windows PC or Linux.

Access iCloud Contacts

Transfer Contacts

Visit iCloud.com and log in with your Apple ID.

Transfer Contacts

After logging in, choose the Contacts option to show your contacts.

Export the Contacts

Transfer Contacts

Select the first contact in your list. Then hold down the shift key and select the last contact on your list. This will select all the contacts on your list. Click the gear in the lower left-hand corner and select Export vCard…

Transfer Contacts

When the save window opens, save your file to someone on your computer you will remember. We recommend the Desktop.

Transfer Contacts

Head on over to Google Contacts and login.

Transfer Contacts

Click the More drop down and select Import…

Import the Contacts

screenshot_09

A dialog box will appear describing what is about to happen. Click the Choose File box to continue.

Transfer Contacts

Select the backup file you saved earlier and choose open.

screenshot_12

Finally, click the Import button to begin importing the contacts.

Transfer Contacts

After a few seconds all of your contacts will appear in the My Contacts list in Google Contacts. The next time an Android phone or tablet is connected to the Google account, all of the contacts on this list will sync to the device.

Thankfully both Apple and Google support the vCard standard for contacts which makes it incredibly easy to move from one ecosystem to another. Also, doing it yourself can save you a transfer fee at a local cell phone retailer, as some have been known to charge.

Good luck and happy transferring!

Comments

1. grateful anon says

My iPhone was shut off before I was able to transfer contacts and every other method required me to be able to use email, I was beginning to think I would have to manually re-enter 250+ contacts and then I found this. It worked, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

2. Barry says

Brilliant! but I fell at the last fence. On opening my android phone/People I have all the contact folders showing but all empty. Where have I gone wrong, please?

• Bhaskar says

As long as you see imported contacts in your gmail account after import, you are good enough to see them in your android if you use same account. In Android, you will see contacts under ‘imported’ section.

3. Barry Collin says

Success! I’ve got all the contacts in my Moto G phone. I was not opening the Google A/c properly to select “sync”.
    So many thanks – hours wasted previously.

4. Nyanam Ann Raja says

hi.. for some reason when i selected all the contact and then clicked export it only exported the first contact. Please assist. thanks

5. Arusarka Haldar says

Thanks for this post. After my iphone got stolen, I couldn’t find a post which talked about transferring contacts without using iphone. I am really glad that I found this post. Thanks again.

6. ProudR says

Here is one tool that you guys can try, it’s called evo collaborator for outlook.
    it makes it possible to copy your contacts and calendars from icloud to gmail or vice versa directly over the air.

simply install it and open outlook(it is an outlook add-in), add gmail and icloud profiles, and then click ‘browse caldav’ and select icloud as souce, then click ‘c2c cloud to cloud copy’ button, and select a destination. and it’s done.

7. samuel says

can I transfer my contact from a non-smart Samsung phone to an iphone??? not sure how my contacts in my old phone will be accessible. Please advise.

8. kishor says

I had lost my I-Phone last week and was upset that i had lost important contact . Thanks Buddy i could get my contact list .