Android 4.4.4 KitKat Problems Plaguing Nexus Users

Last week, Google started pushing out the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 just days after it issued its highly anticipated Android 4.4.3 KitKat update. And while Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android 4.4.3 KitKat were both aimed at fixing KitKat issues, it looks like Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 users are dealing with an assortment of Android 4.4.4 KitKat problems.

In the buildup to June, we heard quite a bit about Google’s Android 4.4.3 KitKat update, a bug fixer for the company’s Android 4.4.2 KitKat update that rolled out in November. Android 4.4.3 KitKat was all but confirmed ahead of launch by a series of leaks and Google finally delivered on June 4th, the same day that Apple announced its iOS 8 update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

During that week, Google pushed out the Android 4.4.3 KitKat update to the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, and Nexus 7. The update also landed for owners of a number of Google Play Edition devices, the Moto X, the Moto G, and the Moto E. Many figured that Android 4.4.3 KitKat would be Google’s last update to KitKat before its next major Android update but that is not the case.

Nexus 4 Android 4.4.3 Review Early - 1Nexus 4 Android 4.4.3 Review Early - 1

In a bit of a surprise, Google pushed out an Android 4.4.4 KitKat update to the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 at the tail end of last week. Android 4.4.4 KitKat replaces Android 4.4.3 KitKat as the company’s most current version of the software and it delivers security fixes that were not included on Android 4.4.3 KitKat. And while Android 4.4.4 KitKat does fix issues, it appears that it brings some problems of its own.

Nexus users have taken to Google’s Nexus product forums to complain about a series of Android 4.4.4 KitKat problems impacting the Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 5, and Nexus 4. We saw complaints emerge at the end of last week but now that the smoke has settled a bit, the complaints have grown in number and include several problem areas.

Android 4.4.4 KitKat problems include issues with certain applications like BBC iPlayer. Nexus users claimed that the application broke down after the upgrade to Android 4.4.3 KitKat and it appears that the issue is, unsurprisingly, still existent inside Android 4.4.4 KitKat. There is no apparent fix though we suspect that it will be up to BBC’s engineers to solve the app’s problems inside the two new versions of KitKat.

Nexus users remain vocal about Android 4.4.3 and Android 4.4.4 KitKat battery life problems with several reporting abnormal battery drain that didn’t exist prior to these two updates. We continue to hear about problems with Exchange email service. Nexus users have been complaining about KitKat Exchange issues since the release of KitKat back in November.

iPhone-5s-Nexus-5

Some Nexus 4 users are dealing with a Contact Sync error after installing the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat update and some are also complaining about dead buttons after the install. This comes after several users reported ghosting issues after receiving Android 4.4.3 KitKat. We’re also seeing Nexus 5 users continue to complain about flaky GPS.

Nexus 5 owners have been complaining about unstable GPS since the device’s arrival back in November. And while many were hopeful that Android 4.4.3 KitKat and Android 4.4.4 KitKat would alleviate those issues, it appears that the issue still exists inside of Android 4.4.4 KitKat, at least for some users.

With Android 4.4.4 KitKat being so new, it just started landing for the Nexus 7 yesterday, most complaints are still in regard to Android 4.4.3 KitKat. And because the two are so similar, we expect that most of these issues will linger inside of Google’s Android 4.4.4 KitKat upgrade.

Nexus 5 Best Cheap Phone May

Most of the issues that we’ve brought up don’t have temporary or permanent fixes. Nexus users are advised to boot the device in safe mode in order to isolate Android 4.4.4 KitKat problems. Often times, a third party application will cause trouble after a significant update. Nexus users who are desperate can also try a factory reset though users will need to back up their information before wiping the phone or tablet.

It’s still not clear what’s next for Android users though rumors point to the arrival of a Nexus 8, an 8.9-inch tablet that could potentially arrive at Google I/O or in July as rumors suggest. Nexus hardware always delivers new Android software so we could potentially see a new Android update, with Android 4.4.4 KitKat bug fixes in tow, arrive in the near future.

Comments

1. Arturo Paz says

Since the 4.4.3 update the internet connection has been unconsitant. Dropped service while downloading has been a reocuring issue. The back button is also not functioning at 100%, staying in the glow for a period of time and not performing its function. That’s the only two issues that I’ve encountered and I have to say that battery is decent. Running the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 updates on ART runtime is important since apparently the updates have been optimized for it, slowly phasing out of delvik has started.

2. me says

Funny how I have all those devices and don’t have those issues . then u say some stupid BBC app is broken after update ? Who cares! tell BBC to get there shit together and update there app , operating systems don’t cater to apps you have it backwards. And those other complaints can be most likely traced back to user error or google would have fixed them within this last 8 months …

3. Jim says

I’m currently running 4.4.3 on my Nexus 5. The only issue I’ve seen is a small but noticeable decrease is battery life but considering the Nexus 5 battery life was already pretty bad a decrease does suck.

• Josh says

New nexus 5 owner here, I’m getting 3 days on my battery. I would say I’m an average user, not heavy by any means, but, so far I’m quite pleased with the battery life.

4. TheToast says

Pretty bad article, a whole lot of words to argue a poorly backed point that’s made just for the aake of saying something different and against the grain.

Sent from a nexus 5 running 4.4.4 with no issues.

This article is Clickbait and nothing more. Unfortunately its also dominating search results and spreading misinformation. Its irresponsible.

5. k says

Golly. This article sounds like it was copy and pasted from a “4.4.3 problems” artical. The lack of variable information is getting boring. I agree, click bate. Do your homework and get the facts rights. Bias this is and does not count as news.

And my nexus is having zero problems on 4.4.4

6. k says

Guess what folks, it’s true. This 4.4.4 problems arrival is written by the same guy as the 4.4.3 article. I did my fact checking with Google search. It looks like artical came out or the same mold as the last one.

Hey adam mills, did you write this on you iPhone or something?

• skerr says

I wish it was just a matter of click bate. I’ve had my N5 since launch and it’s been flawless (for the most part). Since 4.4.3(and 4) it’s been a disaster. Since I consider myself an Android fan-boy, that is tough to say. My N7 2013 has had no issues with .3 or .4 but my N5 battery life has been cut in half, the Bluetooth audio connection to my car no longer syncs properly, and twice I have woken up to find my display turned on sometime during the night and had been displaying the lock screen for 5+ hours (no, I have not installed any new apps since applying .3 or .4). Looks like I will have to go back to 4.4.2 unfortunately. My friend has an unrooted N5 and is having very similar issues. He is ready to root and put .2 back on again as well.

7. whomeyeayou says

Unfortunately the contact syncing issue is real. Contacts on my N4 and N5 haven’t synced since December 2013

8. Dustin Stone says

LoL running 4.4.4. With no issues… I mean look at the picture he has here… Enough said click bait

9. Just another Josh says

Haven’t had any problems with 4.4.2, 4.4.3, or 4.4.4. And then there is this article, which gives no support to its claims whatsoever.

10. A Real Nexus 5 User says

So I guess I’m one of the only few Nexus owners that hadn’t experienced an issue yet on my N5. And I’ve had mine since day one.

11. Naveen says

So untrue…. I absolutely haven’t faced any such issues… BBC app may be the spoiler… Get that fixed rather complaining 4.4.4

12. neel says

I never had a issue. Using nexus 5 with a tons of games and apps. Nothing broke so far. Nexus 5 with android 4.4.4 is amazing expetience.

13. a nexus 5 user says

Did you use it before writing reviews. Wasting my time!! Or u must be an iPhone user and can’t think there can be anything else in this world like/better than iPhone.

14. aj says

Hey people…. Stop trashing the guy…i don’t know if he’s trying to put down nexus or something…. But still.. My nexus 5 gave me around 20 hrs of battery life.. 4.4.3 decreased it to around 14… 4.4.4 had almost no change… Plus i also had that back button issue… One imp thing to note… Every time i see the battery… The biggest consumer is screen… Which is very damned surprising :-O

15. kp sharma says

I got android 4.4.4 upgraded; and apparently I did not find any issues. I think OS should comply standards and it is the application developer responsibility to make it workibg for OS. And its true no OS is flawless.

16. Keith Huskison says

Since 4.4.3 my Nexus 4 has severely reduced battery life, from 24 hours+ to 14 before it is down to single figures and it gets VERY hot where the battery is located (i.e. I send 2 or 3 SMS’ and its like I’ve been playing a game for an hour) Only just got 4.4.4 so don’t know if its better or worse

17. Syed says

I am a heavy user and since the last update to 4.4.3 my battery is draining out like anything. If I am on 3g or WiFi the battery drains in less than 5 hours. And that is horrible. I have not been playing any games lately and I think it will decrease further if I keep data on and play games simultaneously. Last night updated to 4.4.4. Will update the current battery drain status.

18. Rick G. says

I have the Nexus 7 2nd Gen (2013) and received 4.4.3 the other day and 4.4.4 yesterday. I haven’t experienced any problems. That being said, I don’t use BBC or Exchange. I use Google Calendar, contracts and Gmail. The updates address security and SSL encryption so I suspect the problems are with the BBC app and the Sync problmems I suspect Exchange not Google, I feel protected from those substandard technologies. Just my 2¢ as a network admin and PC tech for 24 years now.

19. Apisit Ch. says

Me and my dad also own 2 of Nexus 5 and I have to say my dad’s Nexus 5 never have an noticeable issue and has much longer battery life than mine (both on 4.4.3) since his phone installed only 5 apps that he always use and he usually talk on the phone more than playing with apps. I have to agree the third apps do affect and cause issues most of the time and drain so much battery like mine :)

20. Ali says

What is with the picture of iPhone next to Nexus 5? Some hidden message? I’m running KitKat 4.4.4 on Nexus and quite satisfied with it, who cares about some crappy BBC app…

21. Robert says

I have all the devices,,,from Android ,and have had no issue’s with the kitkat, update ,,, where is he getting his info,,,, he should buy a device ,then comment, , instead of sticking his nose into other people’s email,,, I believe that’s an invasion of privacy, , ,

22. Dennis says

I think the majority of problems people see are because of not up to date apps and local reception issues. I’ve had only one medium sized problem with my device which was the internet connection dropping every now and then, but apparently my operator did something that fixed this. Gps has worked fantastically at all times. Home screen icons disappearing -problem i saw once but haven’t had that happen after that. Other than these there hasn’t been any big problems, just normal computer behaviour like apps crashing sometimes and most of the times just plain steady brilliant smooth functioning. No computer is perfect, but this (Nexus 5) is close to it.

• Augusto says

Bullshit. My Moto G worked perfectly when I was using Android 4.4.2. After updating to 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 the GPS stop working and there is nothing I can do about it.

23. Muhammad Ragab says

I’ve just updated my nexus 10 into 4.4.3 then 4.4.4 … The main advantage i’ve noticed that the wallpaper doesn’t cropped when it’s between portrait mode and landscape mode … It was annoying in 4.4.2 now it’s good … But the main disadvantage is the horrible battery drain …. It’s draining is really noticeable and fast … Any solution Google ?

Finnaly I really need battery percentage in the notification bar … Really need it … Please Google do it

24. Hayash Teenoth says

Hi guys I am using Nexus 5 with KK 4.4.4 no issues guys I could not feel much difference though between 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.can anyone let me know.

25. N5 says

I’m on a nexus 5 and I’m having issues with both my contacts and my gmail syncing on my main account. Just because YOU aren’t personally having issues, does not mean they don’t exist. It started happening after the 4.4.4 update. I’m glad you are not having issues, however it doesn’t mean no one else is.

26. Paulo H. de Medeiros says

I don’t understand why you people who are not experiencing any issues with your phones do make a point on leaving your comment saying so. I mean, the article is clearly stating the SOME users are having issues; doesn’t saying “SOME” mean anything to you? Besides, if you’re not having problems, why on earth are you spending your time not only reading but commenting on this article?

I’ll tell you something: I own a Nexus 4 and, since it was updated to 4.4.3, it has been facing problems, especially with the camera.

Last Sunday I went to the zoo with friends I hadn’t seen in a while and I was expecting to take some nice photos and videos. I was miserably frustrated after finding that I could take no more than ~10 photos with the Google camera app.

The app has some sort of memory leak, so it will eat up all available memory freezing the entire phone and eventually crashing. Moreover, reopening the app doesn’t fix the problem, nor does rebooting the phone. Just open the camera app again and the same problem will happen.

Some people are saying they’ve managed to fix the problem by factory resetting their phone; but hey, I wasn’t aware of that. I’m just an ordinary user who’s applied a system update that was all automatic. I mean, it was supposed to work, right?

Now I lost that moment and there’s nothing I can do about it.

My point is, DON’T SPEAK FOR EVERYBODY just because YOU YOURSELVES are not having problems. Others might be having. You morons!

27. tosh says

My nexus didn’t have no problems when it was running 4.4.2 but since update had lots of problems with internet signal and Google not responding and battery life

28. Cai says

Congratulations to android. I didn’t have any issues with my nexus 4, but 2 quick updates and I now get dead buttons and the phone dies randomly. Its quite scary when you pick up the phone and it won’t respond in any way. If you hold power button long enough it does restart, but still a major issue.

29. telepathic goat says

My nexus 7 caught fire after the 4.4.4 update. Have any other users experienced this problem?

30. Dana says

4.4.4 has a bad battery drain problem. I use a nexus 7 2013. Last night I went to sleep I had 60% battery life. Came home around noon today and my nexus 7 was dead. It would start up only after it charged for a bit.

31. Dano says

I have android 4.4.4 on my nexus 4, there is a huge bug that triggers when you switch the brightness, the device goes completely crazy and battery level oscillating from 35 to 90% in a couple seconds.
    Already tried factory reset, nothing changes :-\

32. Leigh says

Nexus 7 series 1 freeze on wifi connect, just after a fresh charge and recent update. Still waiting….been 8hrs now with screen showing home screen, buttons and touch non responsive. Pretty poor effort. Not impressed at all. I love my nexus, it goes everywhere. Not to mention I was tracking the steam summer sale and missed a few good sales.
    You owe me Google.
    BTW no chance of reset, going to wait to battery to drain. PITA. Thanks for that, all my effort of good care to ruin. Hoping all returns to normal with a patch ASAP.

33. Ernie says

I installed the update 2 days ago. This morning, the screen would not respond to touch. Hence, I cannot even turn it off. Waiting for it to discharge and see after rebooting will do something.

34. deors says

After updating to 4.4.4 my Nexus 5 keeps rebooting forever. It happens typically a few minutes after it completes normal boot. No new apps, Dalvik runtime and nothing weird showing in app monitor, just the usual apps that I have there running for months. Any clues?

35. P.Diesel says

I have a second gen Nexus 7 (FHD) and can say that since the update to 4.4.4 my exchange email continually crashes and the battery drain is totally noticeable. It’s quite annoying and I hope Google fixes it soon

36. BT says

All anyone has to do to fix the exchange problem is delete the account and re-enter their details and it works flawlessly.

37. William Mitchell says

I was having issues with 4.4.3 for my nexus 10 1st Gen, but since going to 4.4.4, it’s been amazing, my battery issues are now resolved and it’s not draining down like it was prior, in fact, I would almost swear, my battery life is now extended as it seems that it’s draining less when it’s in standby mode.

38. te says

my N5 is experiencing abnormal battery drain as well – at 7am it was 100% (just unplugged from the charger), it sat until 1pm on an end table untouched ~10ft from the wifi AP and the battery was at 68%. :( Battery stats show “Android OS” is the reason, I only run Google Voice in the background (I run a pretty stock device – defaut keyboard, browser, gmail, etc..). on 4.4.2 I could let the phone sit for 10 hours and it would barely drain 10%. maybe 4.4.4 is not allowing the device to properly sleep or something…

39. Pete B says

Just because some people don’t have issues doesn’t mean this article is untrue. Think about more than just yourselves for once.

Personally? My launch day UK N5 was perfect until 4.4.3, after which navigation is unusable, battery life dipped and now 4.4.4 has dropped the life further.

How long til a working actual fix?!

40. RoseCal says

Ever since kit kat 4.4.3 and now 4.4.4 the battery life on my Nexus 4 is alarming terrible.jand

41. Jaap says

4.4.4. is a blessing in N7 2012. Hasn’t worked as good as it does now, so please not only negative news….

42. Perry F says

Since 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 my nexus 4 has had issues with maintaining a good Internet connection. Where I once had a strong connection I now get 1 or 2 bars at most. Many times no bars. Never had issues before update. The back button issue others report has also been an issue. Sometimes when pressed it just stays lite and doesn’t function requiring several presses to go back. The connection issue seems to be pretty common although not all users seem to be affected.

43. THRobinson says

4.4.3 worked great for me, no more random shut downs or apps freezing… few weeks later 4.4.4 showed up, I installed it, now it’s worse than before. Just finished wiping it out and downgrading it back to 4.4.3 again.

44. dodadi says

My nexus 5 working like dumb not smart phone, so many crashes, most Google apps even when not in use they just keep cashing…….. Need fix

45. Pitboss13 says

After upgrading from Android 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 notifications of new emails from K-9 mail have stopped.

46. Flatulator says

Nexus 7 (2012) issues here too. Used to go to sleep when I closed the cover and preserve battery prior to 4.4.4. Now I have to power off with the button or I’ll have 1% battery the next morning. Has happened ever since the update last week.

Definitely an issue….

47. Angus6611 says

My N10 hasn’t worked worth a damn since 4.4.3 and got even worse with 4.4.4. Main problem is poor to nonexistent WiFi connection using either my home router or portable hotspot. I’m happy for all the folks that have no issues, but why doubt and/or ridicule those that are?

• syrob says

My sister says her n4 has no WiFi signal… While sitting next to her n7 that does…I have had no issues on my n5 thank goodness.. It looks like its a random problem.. Some luck out while others …well…

48. Paulo H. de Medeiros says

OK guys, I would like to share with a tip that might fix all of the problems you’ve been having with latest KitKat updates. I myself was experiencing a few problems after updating OTA, especially with the camera app. All of my problems disappeared after a simple complete system wipe out / reset. Of course I had to back up my data and redownload / set up my apps, but it was all worth it. Like, there are people complaining KitKat has gotten even worse after 4.4.4. That’s just not possible as latest .4 update is just a minor security update. Our problem seems to be caused by a flawed update process. It so appears that a factory reset is highly recommended in order to get rid any possible hindrances altogether. Do as I say and give me your feedback on whether everything is now better for you. (Loving my Nexus 4 with 4.4.4 here!)

• William Applegate says

I did a system wipe/reset today on my Nexus 10. I then set up the tablet using only Google created apps (gmail, chrome, google+, etc) and the wifi issues are still occurring.My Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX works just fine sitting right next to the N10. Hopefully Google will fix this soon – my N10 was problem-free before these “updates”…

49. Katie says

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) and my fiance has a Nexus 7 (2013). Since updating to Kitkat neither tablet will charge, even though they worked fine before. Now they’re just expensive paperweights. We’ve tried every charging cable we own, even the ones that came with the tablets.

Get your shit together, Google.

50. Eddie michael says

the soft keys on my nexus 7 recently stopped working, i’ve downloaded an app to replace it but its still annoying. also my battery life is significantly worse even on standby mode, I’ve only had my nexus 7 a week now Google better fix this shit because i dont have warranty :(

51. donald says

Hi, guys I use nexus 7 , and still on 4.4.3 KitKat, can some one enlighten me, please. Why i’m not on 4.4.4 KitKat