So you’re the proud new owner of Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy Nexus and now that you have it in your possession, you might be thinking about unlocking and rooting it. If that’s the case, you have come to the right place. A developer by the name of WugFresh has developed a pretty painless way to kill both of those with one stone using a simple unlock/root tool that will also allow you to unroot and re-lock your device if you so wish.
Sadly, if you own a Mac, you’re not going to be able to use this method. As of right now, this is for Windows users only so if you’re not on a Microsoft-powered machine, you’re out of luck.
If you do happen to use Windows and you want to use this tool, here’s what you’ll need to do.
First, you’ll want to grab WugFresh’s tool which can be found here. Now, before you go any further, keep in mind. Unlocking the bootloader is going to wipe your phone’s data clean. It’ll also void the warranty.
If that’s all fine and dandy, you will now want to follow these instructions:
1. Install the program by double clicking the GnexRootToolkit.sfx.exe
- This will extract the contents to %PROGRAMFILES%\GnexRootToolkit
- Place shortcuts on your Desktop and Start Menu\Progarms
- Launch the program for first use
2. Use the Drivers + SDK option first to install and configure the necessary components to your system
3. Click the “Unlock + Root” or “Unroot + OEM lock” buttons depending on what you want to do
- Simply follow onscreen instructions; it should be self explanatory
4. Note that the “Unroot + OEM lock” procedure can also be used to just flash back to stock without re-locking
- Simply follow onscreen instructions, and when it gets to the re-locking procedure… just exit the script.
If done correctly, you should now have an unlocked bootloader to go along with your rooted Galaxy Nexus.
For those unfamiliar with what that means, it means that you now have full control over your device. You can now customize your phone to your hearts content.
And if you need help customizing your device, you can head here to check out some tips on how to get started.