There is a video on Youtube showing how to “auto” root your HTC Thunderbolt thanks to a program written by the thetechREF who posted it. We put “auto” in quotes because it does require interaction from the user, but at least there are no command line strings to enter into Terminal and you don’t need the Android Developers kit on your computer. Unlike most of the rooting methods posted at XDA Developer’s Forum, this one is for the Mac.
How to Root the HTC ThunderBolt on a Mac – The Easy Way
The process is simple:
- Download the program to your Mac.
- Double click the ZIP file to uncompress it.
- Restart your phone and then tap on the menu button at the bottom and choose Settings, Applications, Development, and put a check in USB debugging (see image)
- Plug in your HTC Thunderbolt to the Mac’s USB port and make sure Charge Only is the selected method of connection. If you get a message saying “The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.” then choose Ignore. You may see it a few times during the process. Always pick Ignore.
- Run the program file that came inside the zip file. Two windows will pop up, with one blank at this point. It will be telling you what is going on and the other gives instructions. Hit OK on the one window that has the button and the other will start showing the process. Wait for the files to be copied to the phone.
- When phone screen turns White press and release the Power button on top of the phone.
- Wait for the process to finish. When the option to start update appears hit the Volume Up button on the side of the phone. The phone will look like it is turning off.
- After the phone reboots swipe the unlock and skip through the setup process by tapping either Next or Skip each time the options are up. You will be wiping the phone again so it is a waste of time to enter information at this point.
- Go back into Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, and check USB Debugging again.
- Hit OKAY on the Mac screen again. If an error message pops up hit Ignore and wait for the process to finish.
- When the white screen on the phone appears make sure it says S-OFF at the top. If not, then reboot using the instructions on the phone. If it does say S-OFF, then press the power button.
- When the option to start the update shows up on the phone press the UP volume button on the side of the phone.
- Press the Power button on top when the previous step finishes.
- You can either go through the setup process now or skip it as we did above. The reason to skip it is that after rooting you may want to install a different ROM.
- Turn on USB debugging again (Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, USB Debugging)
- Press OK on the Mac again and after it is finished it will be rooted.
The best way to test that it is indeed rooted is go into the Market and install something like a free root file explorer or the ROM Manager program.
Keep in mind that rooting your phone may void your warranty and could potentially brick your device. If you try this, make sure you follow the directions exactly.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.